Recognized Member
leliel Mirihi

Re: Second Life for iPad and iPhone

Reply to SappaDallagio - view message

SappaDallagio wrote:

What I haven't seen in this discussion is whether or not the iPad supports OpenGL. Does it? I don't have one and I'm not inclined to spend time searching for that, simply because I have no desire to own an iPad. But, to all you iPad owners who believe this device can render SL, does it have the OpenGL implementation within it to do so?

All most all mobile devices support OpenGL ES 2.0. The only exception I can think of would be Windows Phone 7, but nobody buys that trash.

Honored Resident
Sparks Racecourse

Reply to Joseph MacAlpine - view message

Might be a better way to run an Ipad with this new app http://desktop.onlive.com/    Although, SL would have to allow users to access SL in the cloud.   Onlive also has a game service, so you won't need any fancy graphics chip.  

Sparks

Resident
steffe Slingshot

Reply to Jean Horten - view message

Pocket met averse is an only chat viewer,with very limited graphics
Resident
Seni Landar

Recognized Resident
Elizabeth Sassoon

Dual-core A6X
with quad-core graphics, new iPad gen 4, got one, fantastic graphic, bring on the Second Life viewer now!

Advisor
Kwakkelde Kwak

Reply to Elizabeth Sassoon - view message

It's not as easy as you might think.

An iPad or any tablet for that matter can't be compared to a pc or even a laptop. The entire viewer will have to be rewritten. For android there is one, mentioned in this thread.

It would be good for the SL community if there was an official tablet version, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up and if LL ever makes one, it won't be as fancy as the pc version.

Quad core graphics? A high end graphics card has thousands of cores. It doesn't mean anything since all those cores are completely different. A6X processor? That runs at speeds we had in mid range pc's about ten years ago.

"The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell."
Confucius

Honored Resident
KinPlayful

You can remotely access your PC and run SL on your iPhone, iPad or iPod just fine.

In your App Store search "Splashtop 2 - Remote Desktop" ... the app costs about $4.99US per year. This will give you full access to your PC through any of your mobile devices ... and it works great, I rezzed a car from my inventory and drove it!

Took about 5 minutes from dwonloading the app, installing on my iPhone and iPad, download the programme on your PC adjusting a couple of settings on the PC ... done!

... of course, what ever you have displayed on your mobile device will then be displayed on your PC ... so you do have to be a little careful if anyone else has access to your PC so ya don't get caught doing something naughty :smileywink:

Resident
ibrahim Acacia

Reply to Luc Starsider - view message

i like to start the sl with my i pad can be?
Resident
FrecitaLila

Honored Resident
JubalAmon

There are some lucky ones around that have the Pocket MV App from the Apple store working.

I bought the "paid" version hoping to get better support, naaahh...!!:matte-motes-angry: 

So what do I do? I have a previous gen Samsung and run the Android Lumiya client. It is good for chat only, It does offer a viewer and is very limited.

Will there be a better, more consistent one for iPhone? Who knows...!!