Second Life Viewer Won't Start Up

lolashwrites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So when I first downloaded SL (I'm a newbie, so it was just a couple days ago), I was able to open the viewer and get on to the game. However, it came up with a pop-up leading me to the AMD driver downloads to update my driver. When I got onto the game, everything was purple so I understood why. I went and tried to download the driver it automatically located for me, but after a couple minutes my screen went completely blank. I figured that was just part of the download, so I just let it sit for a few hours while I was in class. I came home and it was still blank, so I figured something was wrong. I shut it down and started it back up. It was blank. I shut it down, started it up in safe mode, and updated the driver via the device manager. That seemed to work because I restarted it and everything worked again. 

Well, not everything. I tried SL again but this time it would go through all the "Detecting Hardware" and "Initializing VFL" (VFL being the last one) and then the grey bar would close and the viewer does NOT open. I tried:

1) Clearing the AppData folders in both Local and Roaming, uninstalling the game, restarting the computer, and reinstalling

2) Running as administrator

3) Uninstalling and reinstalling

4) Running in compatibility mode

So far nothing works. I'm at a loss, for I can usually figure these things out. I think it may be the fact that I cannot update my display driver for some reason. I tried doing that again and this time the computer just crashed AND went blank. It looks like the update is setting my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 back to HD 5000 which I think is why it's going blank.

Any suggestions? 

I have an ASUS N61JQ notebook with the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730, Windows 7, Intel Core i7 cPU 1.70GHz with 4GB of RAM and 64-bit operating system.

lolashwrites wrote:

So when I first downloaded SL (I'm a newbie, so it was just a couple days ago), I was able to open the viewer and get on to the game. However, it came up with a pop-up leading me to the AMD driver downloads to update my driver. When I got onto the game, everything was purple so I understood why. I went and tried to download the driver it automatically located for me, but after a couple minutes my screen went completely blank. I figured that was just part of the download, so I just let it sit for a few hours while I was in class. I came home and it was still blank, so I figured something was wrong. I shut it down and started it back up. It was blank. I shut it down, started it up in safe mode, and updated the driver via the device manager. That seemed to work because I restarted it and everything worked again. 

Well, not everything. I tried SL again but this time it would go through all the "Detecting Hardware" and "Initializing VFL" (VFL being the last one) and then the grey bar would close and the viewer does NOT open. I tried:

1) Clearing the AppData folders in both Local and Roaming, uninstalling the game, restarting the computer, and reinstalling

2) Running as administrator

3) Uninstalling and reinstalling

4) Running in compatibility mode

So far nothing works. I'm at a loss, for I can usually figure these things out. I think it may be the fact that I cannot update my display driver for some reason. I tried doing that again and this time the computer just crashed AND went blank. It looks like the update is setting my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 back to HD 5000 which I think is why it's going blank.

Any suggestions? 

I have an ASUS N61JQ notebook with the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730, Windows 7, Intel Core i7 cPU 1.70GHz with 4GB of RAM and 64-bit operating system.

1. Go to your graphic card manufacturers page and get the latest driver.

2. Try the fixes on THIS page.

other than that, i have no ideas other than trying a Third party viewer.

Heyyy, that old lappy of yours isn't too shabby, not at all. Many SL residents would kill for something like that. And what you mean you "tried" downloading the latest driver? Either you do or you don't, there is no try.

I'm not a huge fan of AMD but it shouldn't be a problem locating your gpu model on their website, download the driver and install it.

Well, be that as it may, I hope your new lappy is a powerhouse and keeps you happy for the next couple of years.

• 5 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.