Screen Glitch...AGAIN

AnnariaB

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is a reocurring problem. Fixed it once by redownloading 32 bit firestorm (64 wont download properly on my laptop), second time I updated my graphics driver and it fixed it for like 15min but it came back, then I uninstalled Firestorm and redownloaded it but its still doing this everytime I log in. 

Please help!

screen glitch.png

Here some info:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (2394.54 MHz)
Memory: 8140 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit (Build 9600)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GT 750M/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.3523
OpenGL Version: 4.4.0

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.24.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1e zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.10.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.3.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.26
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.5.0009.17865

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96)
Draw distance: 128
Bandwidth: 3000
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: Medium-High (4/7)
Texture memory: 512 MB (1)
Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 21/8,557 (0.2%)

This is a reocurring problem. Fixed it once by redownloading 32 bit firestorm (64 wont download properly on my laptop), second time I updated my graphics driver and it fixed it for like 15min but it came back, then I uninstalled Firestorm and redownloaded it but its still doing this everytime I log in. 

Please help!

screen glitch.png

Here some info:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (2394.54 MHz)
Memory: 8140 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit (Build 9600)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GT 750M/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.3523
OpenGL Version: 4.4.0

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.24.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1e zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.10.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.3.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.26
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.5.0009.17865

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96)
Draw distance: 128
Bandwidth: 3000
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: Medium-High (4/7)
Texture memory: 512 MB (1)
Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 21/8,557 (0.2%)

Sorry, but shouting will not help;) How does the error look like? Can you post a picture. I also would check if the error appears on any other viewer, I would recommend the LL viewer.  Besides that I would suggest to contect the Firestorm team via their Group or their wiki or JIRA. They know their viewer the best. http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/getting_help

Michellemoving wrote:

I just heard / read Secondlife viewer is now only going to be accepting Windows 8.1

Perhaps??   this could be the issue?

You should really be more specific about such rumors...

• The Windows installer has been modified to verify that the system has been updated with the most recent Service Packs from Microsoft. While we will not block installation on Windows 8 at this time, we strongly recommend upgrading to 8.1 for greater stability. Our data shows that the Viewer is significantly less stable on systems that have not been kept up to date, so the installer will now block installation until the updates have been applied. This change will be effective in a Viewer version to be released in the next few weeks, so it would be a good idea to get your system up to date before then. You can find information on how to install the latest updates at the Microsoft Windows Update page.

They are talking about the updated win 8.1 not blocking all other types of OS as you imply.

This is just a guess, and i would highly recommend getting a temperature monitor, but my wife's laptop did the same thing when the graphics card was overheating. There are many many reports of the 750 in the ultrabook getting very very hot when pushed to its limits. And if anything can push graphics to their limits it's SL.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

This is just a guess, and i would highly recommend getting a temperature monitor, but my wife's laptop did the same thing when the graphics card was overheating. There are many many reports of the 750 in the ultrabook getting very very hot when pushed to its limits. And if anything can push graphics to their limits it's SL.

I've been wondering if limiting max FPS could help with alleviating the overheating.

Have you tried this?

This could be a heating problem. Get a free program named SpeedFans or GPU-Z. Either will give you the GPU temperature and fan speeds.

If it is a heating problem, cleaning a laptop is a bit of a problem. You can try blowing out air ways with canned air. Be careful not to over rev the fans with the compressed gas. Doing so can damage them.

You may want to Google whether or not the GT 750M chip has heating problems.

I am running the SL Viewer with a GTX560 and the same nVidia driver. I'm not seeing a problem. My GPU is running between 50C-65C. My GPU load is about 20-35%.

I have seen laptop screens fail in this way. But, it is hard to determine whether it is the video chip or screen without some disassembly. 

I do not think its a heating problem given that I try logging into Second Life right after I wake up and my computer has been completely shut down the entire night. Also, it is only Second Life thats having this problem. So I don't think its a temperature issue either. 

AnnariaB wrote:

I do not think its a heating problem given that I try logging into Second Life right after I wake up and my computer has been completely shut down the entire night. Also, it is only Second Life thats having this problem. So I don't think its a temperature issue either. 

I didnt think it was either, until the graphics card overheated and fried. Replacing it would have cost almost as much as a new Laptop, so we got a new notebook for surfing and a used PC to upgrade for her. Please, check the temps with some software.

SL is the biggest Graphics drain you will ever see. I have run Assassins creed at max, Halo4 at ultra, and many other games without coming close to the drain SL has.

MIstahMoose wrote:

If it was fried wouldn't this appear in other games as well?

No, not necessarily.

There is nothing quite like Second Life for taking graphics cards to the max.

And the screenshot the OP has provided certainly looks like that's what is happening.

MIstahMoose wrote:

If it was fried wouldn't this appear in other games as well?

No other program i have used comes close to the drain SL has on a computer, Graphic and memory usage. NOTHING. So, no, it wasn't happening unless SL was running. The only other time it happened was if she had several tabs open on firefox with videos on them. All paused but the one she was watching.

It is definitely a Graphics card issue. Without having the laptop in front of me, I would guess the card is on its way out.

• 2 years later...

TRY THIS:

Go to your Desk Top

Right click the FIrestorm Application Shortcut

Select Troubleshoot Compatibility

Follow the steps given using the recommended setttings. Be sure to test the viewer as it says, if this fixes it, be sure to accept those changes. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.