SL viewer - automatic updates?

Ronie5ive

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since I started using SL, I understand that the viewer checks for these updates automatically and prompts for you to update at random times. Lately, I haven't been prompted and I was a few versions down from the latest before I recently downloaded the update online. I was wondering if there was a way to update the viewer manually from within the application and also if there is a logic to how the viewer automatically checks for these updates. Most applications will check upon launch. it can be a bit bothersome to have to update 20 minutes after the launch in the middle of something important.

By default, the viewer checks for an update when it is launched (even before you log in), and then once an hour after that.

If you have not logged in yet, it downloads any update as fast as it can... once you're logged in, it throttles that download so as not to affect your viewer performance.  If you disconnect before the download is complete, it will try to resume where it left off. The combination can mean that you can get the update any time during your session (especially if you have a slower net connection).

You should be able to decline to install an update if you're already logged in... if you do, it will do the update automatically on your next viewer launch.

Hi Oz,

Ronie is right though, every once in a while it seems to bork and never fetch an update at all. I am not sure why this is the case, and I keep the Software Updates setting to "Install Automatically". On my two main computers I also have "Willing to update to release candidates" checked, whereas on my Laptop that latter one is unchecked.

It's a pretty rare occasion though... I've always put it down to some glitch and downloaded the latest update manually.

Jenni

I've noticed with the last few updates the process will get almost to the end and then will stop because 3 different files were not found.  I cannot recall all three but the first one has to do with crash reports?  I have no idea if the SL viewer has updated or not.  But this happens at least once a week. Any suggestions? 

I hope this is in the right place to post, if not, please feel free to remove it or move it elsewhere.

Start the viewer but don`t log in. On the log in screen you should see 3 menus (top left of screen) Click help > about second life. You will see something like this "Second Life 3.7.9 (290582)", which is the version number. You can then check the number you see against the number shown on the downloads page for the latest release.

Hope that helps :smileyhappy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.