SL breaks my video driver

TheHusky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. I have a really serious problem with any viewer for Second Life. The game works absolutely fine. But when I log off, I got this:

http://i.imgur.com/9km667Q.jpg

And it doesn't want to go away. I had to reinstall completely my video driver to repair my screen.

I have AMD Radeon 7790 on Windows 7 64-bit. I have installed the latest drivers. I don't have any viruses, malwares and other stuff. I don't have any other trouble with any other application, game etc. like this, so it HAS TO be a software issue.

Is there anything I can do?

SL is somewhat of a heavy load on any graphics card.

In the past I've had something similar with a Nvidia card. First once week or so, then increasingly more. Sometime later (I don;t remember if it was weeks or months) it died completely.

By which I mean to say: I'm afraid your graphics card is about to die. :smileysad:

TheHusky wrote:

Hello. I have a really serious problem with any viewer for Second Life. The game works absolutely fine. But when I log off, I got this:

And it doesn't want to go away. I had to reinstall completely my video driver to repair my screen.

I have AMD Radeon 7790 on Windows 7 64-bit. I have installed the latest drivers. I don't have any viruses, malwares and other stuff. I don't have any other trouble with any other application, game etc. like this, so it HAS TO be a software issue.

Actually, it is a hardware issue. My wifes laptop started doing that just before the card fried.  Your card doesn't meet the minimum requirements for SL as well.

TheHusky wrote:

Do you use the "f.lux" screen color editing program or something similar? What you see is known to happen with f.lux custom color profiles.

The video card was bought few months ago, so it's technically impossible that it's dying. Plus, I have only the issue with a Second Life.

Any my mistake, I forgot about "HD" in the card name. It's HD 7790, so it's a quite powerful card. My power supply is Chieftec 700w, so it's not a no-name.

I can play on this card any game and absolutely nothing happens. It runs BF4 on high details with stable 30fps. Even, when I play SL, it's fine. Everything is smooth, FPS is stable.

It happens ONLY, when I log off from SL.

I have f.lux installed, but I don't use this so often. It's disabled, when I play SL.

TheHusky wrote:

The video card was bought few months ago, so it's technically impossible that it's dying. Plus, I have only the issue with a Second Life.

Any my mistake, I forgot about "HD" in the card name. It's HD 7790, so it's a quite powerful card. My power supply is Chieftec 700w, so it's not a no-name.

I can play on this card any game and absolutely nothing happens. It runs BF4 on high details with stable 30fps. Even, when I play SL, it's fine. Everything is smooth, FPS is stable.

It happens ONLY, when I log off from SL.

I have f.lux installed, but I don't use this so often. It's disabled, when I play SL.

Then it's f.lux that's the problem:

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-12561

This is from Firestorm but most viewers use similar graphics routines.

Thank you. I didn't know, that it can cause the trouble... But is it that hard to fix it? Doesn't seem like a hard-to-repair issue. I enjoyed the orange-ish color scheme in the evening. And I do use Firestorm as well.

Goodbye, F.lux. :(

Did you have error messages on SL viewer updates lately?  (I copy and paste from another thread):

I get the updates automatically and they install the next time I start the viewer. This time there were several errors during the unpacking process. So I downlaoded the update from the website and the same thing occured when that was unpacking. One of the files was the crash_logger but I didn't notice what the others were.

I got past the errors by clicking the Skip button for each file, and managed to log in, but I've no idea if the files that I skipped will have any effect on my SL useage.

I am asking because I have a Radeon HD7970 and I had this problem. And for a few weeks I have now had flickering, "stuttering" rendering, graphical artefacts. I thought that it's again an AMD incompatility thing. But today I did a clean re-install of the viewer and all these hick-ups are gone.

PS: One thing that would interest me very much, Husky, is what framerate do you get with your graphics card? I have a horrible framerate in SL considering to the capabilities of an HD7970. When I put the graphical settings in the position between high and ultra, I get between 20 and 30 fps (which is an insult for the horsepowers my GPU has).

I have an HD 6950 and get about that same 20-30 ish with everything on including advanced lighting and shadows. This on Firestorm. The Linden code has never played favorably with AMD. My friend with a less powerful Nvivida card and less powerful machine gets close to what I do.

So the BRAND and the CODE has a lot to do with it.

And for the original poster, going to a 1.23 based viewer like Singularity may solve your issues. Worth a try.

PS: One thing that would interest me very much, Husky, is what framerate do you get with your graphics card?

I have the same framerate as yours at high settings.

And I didn't have any errors. When I had this graphical issue, I thought it was the viewer fault, so instead of the linden one, I choosed Firestorm. Still the same issue, but I didn't have any other troubles. It runs fine.

TheHusky wrote:

Impossible my @$$. We've all seen fried cards who weren't as old as yours. And of course it's SL giving you the problem; it's the most demanding task for any GPU.

The thing that kills graphics cards is heat. The more you use them with applications like SL the more they heat up. That's why they have heat sinks and fans (mostly). The pesky thing about it is that as the fans pull in air to cool the heat sink they also pull in dust that clog up the fans.

So something that you can do to be pro active ( at your own risk ) is clean the computer inside and out and also make sure that it has some room around it for air to flow.

If you haven't cleaned a computer inside before look it up on youtube there are a few good videos on how to do it (tip: turn the power off).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.