SL app for Android

Vitor Schnyder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Vitor, while LL don't have an official app yet, I use DroidSL (the app is free from the Android Market, L$500 for the prim part, via Marketplace) to boost my SL experience while I'm away from a good connection.

Its only real function is to send IMs from your cell, it doesn't allow for responses (though I intercept offline IMs via email) but it's a handy way to send a few quick messages; perhaps tell a loved one you can't get online tonight, or tell a customer that you'll resolve their problem ASAP.

It does have some limitations, however. From memory I forget if it uses encryption to pass the IMs, but it's probably 'less secure' than in-world IMs in any case. It also requires land on which to place the server. They don't really enjoy being re-rezzed.

Overall it's lovely, though I agree an official one would be awesome too.

• Confused 1

Vitor Schnyder wrote:

I know there is an app for android that you can use to log in, but its not free, somebody knows any app that is free to log in?

That's a good question. I think most text client developers, regardless of platform, are waiting for XMPP integration to try again, as that would greatly simplify the issue (or render it entirely moot, since then one could easily IM an avatar in SL from Google Talk or another Jabber service and vice versa).

Vitor Schnyder wrote:

and why liden lab has not made an app yet?

Why is it everyone seems to assume that it's the Linden's job to fill in the gap for every edge-case usage scenario, when the specs to connect to the service are published and the source code to the official viewer is free and open?

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry, but any1 that actually has an android knows how much better the apps are, and that there are tons of free apps. Plus, personally, I paid almost nothing for my phone, compared to an IPhone. To me, Apple is for people that don't know any better, and have money to blow. It does seem funny to me that some1 would pay that much for a phone but has a problem paying 450 lindens a month for all that a good app does.

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I. Think this is bieing looked at the wrong way. "Why is it LL's resoncabality to provide a client for every playform". It is not there resonceabality at all.But good buisness sence.........maby.the android OS is spreading to more and more mobile devices everyday. And is used on a lot of low / medium cost tablets now. Provideing a viewer for android is good buisness sence. It opens the product to a lot more potentiasl users. Aswell provides a m ore on the go based acces to the grid. While it's ok saying the source is here thesdk is there your talking to people that don't nessicarily even know what a sdk is. If it's so simple as you implyn with your do ityourself mentality then why not make it yourself. Maby even get a few linden out of it

• Confused 1

Who said anything about responcabality ? While it isn't ll's responcabality to make an android client. It's imo good buisness sence. Millions of people world wide use android based mobile devices so accessing that nmarket means more cash for LOL. To say the source is here the sdk is there do it yourself is a very childish statement. It's not like every1 knows what a sdk isif it's simple as you are trying to make it seem to be go code it and you can prolly make some creds from it. Give posative help or go play in your elitist world as you see fit

• Confused 1

• 5 months later...

Just to inform those who where saying that there isn't a free android sl viewer there is its called Lumiya and it does have limited 3d world viewing built in I still need a lot of work though the main thing it need in my opinion is avatars but you can look at structures and move around a bit.....And yes an official android viewer would be nice but its not their "responsibility" to make it...And it would be good business sense to release one that has full viewer capabilities and costs 99 cents considering how many people would use it.

-With all due respect Zeak

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...

oh ffs... it's a one time 2.95 fee for the app and I just bought it and tried it myself and it isn't bad at all.  Much better than pocket metaverse (on my ipad) and much, much better than mobile grid client which is limited to the device it is registered to.  Stop being so cheap and buy the damned app!  Lumiya....   sheesh....

• Confused 1

• 8 months later...

You can play around in Second Life on the iPad by accessing it remotely from your computer, via an app called Splashtop. There is both a Mac and Android version. And the best thing is, the touch interface actually works inworld! See my YouTube vid, where my avie walks, sits, tps, flies, chats, dances, changes clothes, snaps pix, hugs and kisses - all with swipes and taps on the iPad screen. 

For how-to, see my blog post http://baysweetwater.com/second-life-on-the-ipad/
  • Confused 1

• 1 year later...

Okay, this thread was dormant for over a year. There are two good options for Android: Lumiya, a relatively inexpensive app (I mean, jeez, who cares if it's literally free?), and SL Go which costs US$ 10 / month or US$ 1 / hour and offloads the graphics heavy-lifting to their render-servers, so it delivers the full SL viewer experience even on graphics-crippled mobile devices (albeit with network input lag).

I'd be very surprised if LL or anyone else invests more time and effort in making mobile clients for classic SL at this point, assuming a reasonable prospect of success for "SL2.0" which is supposed to be designed from the ground-up with mobile devices in mind.

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I see I'm not the only one that wants secondlife for the tablet/andriod. The reason I really want a secondlife for the android is because I need a new laptop to run my games less laggier. But, I currently can't afford it because we need money to get cat food and stuff. It would be good if Second life was already a offical app.  Dip-***** has signed out.

i-amp-039-m-a-grown-up-and-i-amp-039-m-never-sad-when-i-eat_o_6496515.jpg

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, CuteRenamon231 said:

I see I'm not the only one that wants secondlife for the tablet/andriod. The reason I really want a secondlife for the android is because I need a new laptop to run my games less laggier. But, I currently can't afford it because we need money to get cat food and stuff. It would be good if Second life was already a offical app.  Dip-***** has signed out.

The vast majority of mobile devices do not have the hardware capability to play a game like secondlife. Most android tablets/phones are incredibly weak compared to even low end laptops and desktops. Especially for rendering 3D worlds like secondlife. You'd get a worse playing experience overall having terrible framerates and overall lagginess on a tiny screen.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.