Honored Resident
Vitor Schnyder

SL app for Android

I know there is an app for android that you can use to log in, but its not free, somebody knows any app that is free to log in?

and why liden lab has not made an app yet?

Griffin Ceawlin

Re: SL app for Android

[ Edited ]

Reply to Vitor Schnyder - view message

None that I'm aware of. Hopefully, LL will put one out in the near future. They were looking for a mobile developer not long ago...

ETA: Looks like they still are.

:smileymad: I'm only a part-time b*tch :smileywink:
My time inworld is limited, and precious. IMs detailing your bruised ego are unwelcome.
Go to my Forum profile and try a PM instead. I may even respond.
~ My Silly Little Blog ~
Contributor
Freya Mokusei

Hi Vitor, while LL don't have an official app yet, I use DroidSL (the app is free from the Android Market, L$500 for the prim part, via Marketplace) to boost my SL experience while I'm away from a good connection.

Its only real function is to send IMs from your cell, it doesn't allow for responses (though I intercept offline IMs via email) but it's a handy way to send a few quick messages; perhaps tell a loved one you can't get online tonight, or tell a customer that you'll resolve their problem ASAP.

It does have some limitations, however. From memory I forget if it uses encryption to pass the IMs, but it's probably 'less secure' than in-world IMs in any case. It also requires land on which to place the server. They don't really enjoy being re-rezzed.

Overall it's lovely, though I agree an official one would be awesome too.

Honored Resident
Vitor Schnyder

Thanks for the tip Freya i will try this app, I hope they find a developer soon Griffin

Medhue Simoni
Topics: 95

I'm using Mobile Grid Client. This app give you the ability to chat, IM, give inventory, and see the map of the region you are in much like your minimap. I think it cost 300 lindens a month after the initial free first month.

Baloo Uriza
Topics: 12

Vitor Schnyder wrote:

I know there is an app for android that you can use to log in, but its not free, somebody knows any app that is free to log in?

That's a good question. I think most text client developers, regardless of platform, are waiting for XMPP integration to try again, as that would greatly simplify the issue (or render it entirely moot, since then one could easily IM an avatar in SL from Google Talk or another Jabber service and vice versa).

Vitor Schnyder wrote:

and why liden lab has not made an app yet?

Why is it everyone seems to assume that it's the Linden's job to fill in the gap for every edge-case usage scenario, when the specs to connect to the service are published and the source code to the official viewer is free and open?

Resident
Ashling Alchemi

Reply to Baloo Uriza - view message

Because we don't want to pay money to log in to a free service? Not exactly rocket science. iPhone has free apps but android doesn't? Ok how many years will it take for android to catch up because iPhone has had free SL apps since at least 2009. Anyone? /listens to crickets
Baloo Uriza
Topics: 12

Reply to Ashling Alchemi - view message

That doesn't address the fact that the SL viewer source code is open, the protocol is published, and Android gives away the SDK to everyone who wants a copy.  You can fix it, if you really wanted to.

Medhue Simoni
Topics: 95

Sorry, but any1 that actually has an android knows how much better the apps are, and that there are tons of free apps. Plus, personally, I paid almost nothing for my phone, compared to an IPhone. To me, Apple is for people that don't know any better, and have money to blow. It does seem funny to me that some1 would pay that much for a phone but has a problem paying 450 lindens a month for all that a good app does.

Honored Resident
thenightboat

I definately agree there should be an official Secondlife Android App, it would be really good.