SL Viewer 3.2 - A big improvement

SatguruS1488312156

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Like:
The sidebar has gone and has been replaced by tool bars.
I can create up to three toolbars and dock them on any one of the three sides of the viewer  or I can drop them off altogether.
Button on the toolbars can be added, dropped, rearranged or dragged to other toolbars
Clicking a button opens a window, clicking it again closes the window.
Windows remember and open in their previous position.
Chat box is floatable. I can now locate it near my avatar as I type.
Lot more screen space.
Pressing CTL-SHIFT-U removes all UI elements - toolbars, menu, slurl bar, favorite bar etc to provide a clean unencumbered, immersive view of the world.

Dislike:
Performance needs working on. I usually get a low 10-15 fps.

windows waste too much space and are not easy to read

Here is a comparision of the inventory window in Phoenix with the one in Viewer 3.2

inventory.jpg

Here is a comparision of chat and IM windows - 1 window in Phoenix , 3 windows in viewer 3.2

chat IM.jpg

Would like:
Auto-hide feature for toolbars

Yes certainly an improvement here. :)

Chat Floater and notifications hopefully will be finetuned a bit though. 

There is just one additional problem i see. Why is it, that when i open the "new" Gestures Tab it shows ALL gestures and not only (as in all previous viewer versions) the ACTIVE ones ?

Would be nice if this could be fixed :) 

This is the best SL client update EVER. At the point i can even think about not using Phoenix/Firestorm ANYMORE !!

I LOVE the drag & drop toolbar ; and the copy /paste options on your outfits instead of the old LAME links for the clothes...

Only missing a few popular options like the camera crosshair,radar etc ...but a lot of work has been done to improve the user experience !! BRAVO !!!

I have to say that V3.2 finally fixed enough of the V2 problems to allow me to uninstall V 1.23.5. With the death of the mandatory sidebar and the reintroduction of a text entry field that moves with the nearby chat floater, I can manage to work around most of the other flaws in V3.2, and don't particularly see any advantages to Firestorm or Phoenix. (Though that may change with the next Firestorm and Phoenix releases, which I hear are coming very soon now.)

After a little tweaking of graphics settings (the V3.2 defaults are not very good, especially for anti-aliasing, where they default to 8x!), I'm getting pretty much the same performance on V 3.2 as I did with Firestorm or Phoenix - about 23 fps in a quiet sim. Not as good as the 35 to 40 FPS that I could often get with V 1.23.5, but acceptable.

Unfortunately, V3.2 still seems to follow the mantra of "More mouse clicks is always preferable". It seems that every difference between the old way of doing things in the 1.2x based viewers and the way they chose to do it in V2.0 and higher is less efficient in terms of mouse clicks required to perform a task. The classic Viewer 1.23.5 still can't be beat for efficiency and frame rate, in my experience. But the lack of the newer features in the 1.2x viewers combined with this last batch of UI changes has finally tipped the scales in V 3.2's favor, for me.

yay :) Ok, buttons on the right side now thanks :)

Yes, V3.2 is a huge improvement. If they added a derender and asset black list, i doubt i would even install a TPV anymore.

it took what, 2 years, but we are back to a non instrusive interface, and so easy to just make it go poof and all you have is SL :)

Now let the tweaking begin.

Suki Theas wrote:

I think i was one of the 3 people who liked the side bar [...]

On SLUniverse there was a poll revealing that 35% of the board users taking part in that survey wanted a sidebar, I don't think this minority overall isn't *this* small. Apart from the lack of ability to change its width I found the sidebar pretty useful, too.

As a user of the RLV technology, I still need to resort to a TPV in order to get that functionality so I still rely upon them heavily for my daily SL use. But, what I have used of the new SL viewers, I agree that having the toolbars and relocateable buttons is much preferable, for me, than the locked-down sidebar. I also agree that the frame rates I get on my new iMac (the most recent model) is poor when using the latest SL viewer as compared to the now long-in-the-tooth Firestorm-Mesh-beta.

Am i the only one who just thinks the new Beta viewer is just a lagg monster ?

My FPS hardly goes over 4 or 5 ... When there is more as 30 people around me it crashes.

I never had any problems with the beta viewer and i always loved it, the grahics i have always on mid, drawdistance on 96.

Now on Phoenix i dont have any problems at all .. fps goes up to 15.

I dont like the im's pop up in the above section and i dont like the chat dont fit anymore next to my buttons.

So .. still hope it will be better .. i will keep trying.

Maybe one needs an all state of the art game computer with all the latest specs to keep going with the new developments, then i will need to buy all new :(

Just my findings ... no offence ment.

gr Bud

No, I am getting the same lag as you.  Never see more than 15fps.  I am playing with it, but as it stands I can't use it.  I do like the way you can move the buttons around, put them out or not.  I don't like the IM setup, I get a dark line across the middle of my snapshots and that with the lag make it a "no go" for me.  I will keep looking at updates and hope.

I was a big fan of the the new viewer until this latest update. I find it completely unusable, I have had to resort to a 3rd party viewer until they fix this...I have a good computer, and i cant get but 10fps....I hope they remedy this quickly... they never should have released it with these problems. 

There is an option in most 3rd party viewers that I would love to see in Lindens Viewer.

It is a chat option, that alerts you when certain phrases are said in chat.

============================================
[-]Highlight messages is any of them contain the terms: (seperated by commas)
(box here) ________________

[-]highlight with color= (select color)

[-]play this sound alert(UUID)
(box here) ________________
============================================

this option is usually part of the preferences, and would be a great feature to include in the official viewer.

Is there any plans on adding this feature in the future?

Tristizia Demonista wrote:

What is the practical use of this "feature"?

For example I put alert word "Coby" there and suitable sound like wolf whistle... :smileysurprised: :matte-motes-wink:

Let's supposed I'm away from the computer, drinking coffee in the kitchen. Somebody in chat or in IM calls my name "Coby". A wolf whistle enamates from the loudspeakers and alerts me to rush to the computer to answer. :smileyvery-happy: Neat feature.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.