RESOLVED Help with Release Notes, updates and my viewer issue

LoriLexa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm new to Release notes, I was having an issue in the recent past and someone sent me the exact page of the release notes and I downloaded it (problem was fixed). Now I have the same problem again so I went to the Release Notes site but I went to the main page instead. Now I see a ton of different ones. I found the issue after looking through a bunch of them. (My issue is that my fps drops to almost 0 when I open chat)

My questions are,

Before I learned about this, I would just update my viewer when there were updates:

The new update for the viewer is 3.7.1.286557

The release notes with the fix for my issue is: 3.7.2286708

So, do I download the update then the release notes? OR Do I just download the Release notes?

Have any of you downloaded all of these Release notes? There are so many of them.

Is it ok that I downloaded just the Release note that fixes my problem? 

Any other basic info you can tell me?

I'm so confused, thank you for your help

you only need to download the viewer that shows a fix for your problem.

if you see more than one candidate with fixes or features you would like, you will have to decide what is more important for now, since you can only log in with one at a time.

all those release channel viewers are in a contest. the one with the best track record on stability and bug reports wins. when there is a winner, it becomes the main viewer. all the other candidates add the winning features and fixes to their own, and the contest starts again. so sooner or later we get all those fixes in one package.

(i do tend to try them all but this is not necessary, i'm just weird like that.)

Alwin Alcott wrote:

ehm.. you don't download release notes.... a bit useless to download explanation what has changed.

Download latest viewer, official/ beta/ project or third party... thats all

I have the latest viewer, I just checked. Now I have an issue with my fps dropping. When you go to the release notes page, there is a Release Viewer Version and at the top you can see an option to download (I have done this before and it fixed my last issue)

That is what release notes do, they include Release viewer versions periodically inbetween updates to fix bugs and glitches. Yes, you can download them, that is what they are there for, see the page and look at the top. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.7.2.286708

In addition: If you go to the main page of the release notes (see below link and scroll down) you will see all the bug fixes. If you click on each one (that's how I found a fix for my problem- see the link above) it will list all the known issues and a download to fix those issues. The regular viewer update is different.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Category:Release_Notes

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

you only need to download the viewer that shows a fix for your problem.

if you see more than one candidate with fixes or features you would like, you will have to decide what is more important for now, since you can only log in with one at a time.

all those release channel viewers are in a contest. the one with the best track record on stability and bug reports wins. when there is a winner, it becomes the main viewer. all the other candidates add the winning features and fixes to their own, and the contest starts again. so sooner or later we get all those fixes in one package.

(i do tend to try them all but this is not necessary, i'm just weird like that.)

Oh thank you Obvious, that is what I mainly needed to know. I just realized that I did have the newest update but I still have this fps problem. So I'm going to just download that specific viewer release in those notes. Thank you, you are always good at this tech stuff.

update: I downloaded those release notes or should I say release viewer version and my problem was fixed:matte-motes-big-grin:

dd Temin wrote:

LoriLexa......I think you need to choose "Compacted" Chat option  to solve your FPS issue. i think  there is a place to choose that near the top of the chat bar.

dd

I tried that, same issue. It did not matter if it was compact or expand, it still reduced the fps to almost zero. This has happened to me before, I just have to keep downloading the release fixes. Thank you

Hi again...

Just to be clear what is your FPS typically before you enable chat window.?  and....what  GPU/ video card are you using?

What is your connection speed? What graphic mode are you using in the sl viewer i.e  high, low. med , ultra etc

What is your "draw distanced" set to in graphic preferences? Without that info it is difficult to make suggestions  to help.

Are you using wireless connection?   using Desktop? Laptop?

Have you tried logging into another region  that  has very few Avatars and very few textures?   Stand  facing the  open sea/ocean and see if your FPS  returns to  normal acceptable rate.

Lots of smart  residents  here to help you  just need a bit more information  to be helpful

dd

Edit:  i just saw that   you say problem was solved  with  the new viewer version.......  good for you  :)

dd

The idea with fixes in the viewer is a problem is fixed in a specific release and that is listed in its notes. Those fixes pass through testing and into a Release Candidate. At some point the release candidate is promoted to the main viewer. 

All the fixes that were in the RC version are then in the main viewer. All the fixes that were in the RC version are then added to all the other RC versions and they are retested.

From time to time an update is missed. We call that a regression. It is a mistake and every effort is made to avoid that. But, they happen.

If you have the newest main viewer, it should have all the fixes except for those in the pending RC's. You can read their release notes and see which ones you are missing. Find the RC Viewer list here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

You will find the link to the main viewers release notes on the main download page. But, those notes will only list the latest changes to the current version. Previous changes are understood to be included. If they didn't the release notes would be incredibly long.

You can back track in release notes by using the 'bread-crumb' page links near the top of the page. You will arrive at the main list of viewer releases. Because the numeric sort list is a bit messed up, you have to pay close attention to where you are in the list. Where a viewer is listed on the page is not as important as the version number.

A version like 3.7.2 should have all the changes places into 3.7.1 and prior versions.

I get a bit fuzzy on what is in which build version... build numbers are like: 286707. I have seen versions like 3.6.1-288080 where the build number is greater than the build number in a 3.7.2 version. The 3.6.1 does not have all the fixes in the 3.7.2. But, because it is a higher build number there is something newer than what is in 3.7.2. But, we will not see whatever it is until that build is upgraded with the changes in 3.7.2.

This allows the programs to work on solving a problem in a static version like 3.6.1 until they have found whatever problem they are chansing. Once found they update and see if their fix sticks.

Hopefully that is not too confusing...

If you have the latest main release viewer and you have seen a problem come back, file a BUG report and list the BUG or MAINT JIRA number you found in the release notes. If they dropped a fix and regrressed to having a previously fixed problem they should have fixed in the next release. If no one files a BUG report in the JIRA they may not notice.

LoriLexa wrote:

I have the latest viewer, I just checked. Now I have an issue with my fps dropping. When you go to the release notes page, there is a Release Viewer Version and at the top you can see an option to download (I have done this before and it fixed my last issue)

That is what release notes do ....

you use the terms release notes and release candidate viewer for the same thing, thats what made it confusing.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

The idea with fixes in the viewer is a problem is fixed in a specific release and that is listed in its notes. Those fixes pass through testing and into a Release Candidate. At some point the release candidate is promoted to the main viewer. 

All the fixes that were in the RC version are then in the main viewer. All the fixes that were in the RC version are then added to all the other RC versions and they are retested.

From time to time an update is missed. We call that a regression. It is a mistake and every effort is made to avoid that. But, they happen.

If you have the newest main viewer, it should have all the fixes except for those in the pending RC's. You can read their release notes and see which ones you are missing. Find the RC Viewer list here:

You will find the link to the main viewers release notes on the main download page. But, those notes will only list the latest changes to the current version. Previous changes are understood to be included. If they didn't the release notes would be incredibly long.

You can back track in release notes by using the 'bread-crumb' page links near the top of the page. You will arrive at the main list of viewer releases. Because the numeric sort list is a bit messed up, you have to pay close attention to where you are in the list. Where a viewer is listed on the page is not as important as the version number.

A version like 3.7.2 should have all the changes places into 3.7.1 and prior versions.

I get a bit fuzzy on what is in which build version... build numbers are like: 286707. I have seen versions like 3.6.1-288080 where the build number is greater than the build number in a 3.7.2 version. The 3.6.1 does not have all the fixes in the 3.7.2. But, because it is a higher build number there is something newer than what is in 3.7.2. But, we will not see whatever it is until that build is upgraded with the changes in 3.7.2.

This allows the programs to work on solving a problem in a static version like 3.6.1 until they have found whatever problem they are chansing. Once found they update and see if their fix sticks.

Hopefully that is not too confusing...

If you have the latest main release viewer and you have seen a problem come back, file a BUG report and list the BUG or MAINT JIRA number you found in the release notes. If they dropped a fix and regrressed to having a previously fixed problem they should have fixed in the next release. If no one files a BUG report in the JIRA they may not notice.

Thank you! This information you posted clarified alot for me. This is what I was looking to learn. I have to save this, thank you Nalates

Alwin Alcott wrote:

LoriLexa wrote:

That is what release notes do ....

you use the terms release notes and release candidate viewer for the same thing, thats what made it confusing.

My confusion led to your confusion LOL sorry about that :matte-motes-smile:

dd Temin wrote:

Hi again...

Just to be clear what is your FPS typically before you enable chat window.?  and....what  GPU/ video card are you using?

What is your connection speed? What graphic mode are you using in the sl viewer i.e  high, low. med , ultra etc

What is your "draw distanced" set to in graphic preferences? Without that info it is difficult to make suggestions  to help.

Are you using wireless connection?   using Desktop? Laptop?

Have you tried logging into another region  that  has very few Avatars and very few textures?   Stand  facing the  open sea/ocean and see if your FPS  returns to  normal acceptable rate.

Lots of smart  residents  here to help you  just need a bit more information  to be helpful

dd

Edit:  i just saw that   you say problem was solved  with  the new viewer version.......  good for you 
:)

dd

Hi DD

yep, those specs are another story. I learned all about that stuff last last year when I had lag and crashing. I ended up lowering my graphics settings. I have a really good desktop but at some point I have to get a better graphics card. I never had a real problem with fps until recent. So far, the release fixes are working. Thanks for helping, Lori

Nalates Urriah wrote:

Here's a quick tutorial on the viewer version numbers...

A version number is four integers separated by dots (3.7.2.286707).  Numbers at each level are incremented when something new happens; the more important the something, the further to the left the incremented number (so "Fitted Mesh" changed the second level number from 6 to 7).  Most versions increment the third level (2 in this example).

If the first three numbers in a version are greater than those numbers in a given default release viewer, then that version (which may be a project viewer or release candidate) has everything in the release viewer.   When we decide that a given version is going to be the default viewer, all the changes in it are added to all the projects we're working on, so all the fixes and features in 3.7.1.286557 (which was the default release until this past Monday) are in any viewer whose number is 3.7.2.anything

If two viewers have the same first three numbers, they probably have distinct sets of changes compared to that common base.

The fourth level is special - it's the 'build number'. It's a monotonically increasing number generated by our build system, so basically it tells you which viewer was built first. It's useful only within a specific project and doesn't tell you much between projects.

Oz Linden wrote:

Nalates Urriah wrote:

Here's a quick tutorial on the viewer version numbers...

A version number is four integers separated by dots (
3.7.2.286707).  Numbers at each level are incremented when something new happens; the more important the something, the further to the left the incremented number (so "Fitted Mesh" changed the second level number from 6 to 7).  Most versions increment the third level (2 in this example).

If the first three numbers in a version are greater than those numbers in a given default release viewer, then that version (which may be a project viewer or release candidate) has everything in the release viewer.  
When we decide that a given version is going to be the default viewer, all the changes in it are added to all the projects we're working on, s
o all the fixes and features in 3.7.1.286557 (which was the default release until this past Monday) are in any viewer whose number is 3.7.2.
anything

If two viewers have the same first three numbers, they probably have distinct sets of changes compared to that common base.

The fourth level is special - it's the 'build number'. It's a monotonically increasing number generated by our build system, so basically it tells you which viewer was built first. It's useful only within a specific project and doesn't tell you much between projects.

Thank you Oz , all the info I'm getting regarding my intitial post has been extremely helpful. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Lori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.