Problems after logging in to Second Life with Firestorm viewer

Treycee Melody

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For the past three weeks, I have had issues with my screen freezing up after I log in to SL.  Normally the message error is " display driver has stopped responding and had recovered".  Sometimes my mouse will freeze up as well.  All of my drivers are current.  I had a computer guy come out this week to look at it and he downloaded updated BIOS, but evidently that didn't fix the problem.  I need help, I don't know what else to do!   My computer specs:

Firestorm 4.6.7 (42398) Aug 12 2014 02:06:18 (Firestorm-Releasex64) with OpenSimulator support

Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (3392.36 MHz)

Memory: 16280 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 660/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.4411

OpenGL Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 344.11

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.24.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1h zlib/1.2.6 c-ares/1.10.0

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.4

Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.32

Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)

Voice Server Version: Not Connected

Settings mode: Firestorm

Viewer Skin: AnsaStorm (Bright Blue)

Font Used: Deja Vu (96)

Draw distance: 240

Bandwidth: 500

LOD factor: 12

Render quality: Ultra (7/7)

Texture memory: 512 MB (1)

VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): unknown

Built with MSVC version 1600

Thank you!

Joining the inworld support group, as Heart has suggested, is a good idea... but before you do this, you might want to work through what it tells you to try on this page... link... or, more specifically, the pages to which that page links.  I say this because I'm pretty sure that it'll be the first page to which support will send you.

...Dres

Your LOD factor is far, far too high. The viewer is designed to only use a certain amount of memory and will start paging/purging regardless of how much memory high-end systems have, and the LOD setting is a major component of the memory-control system. Even the popular kludge of setting LOD to 4 will cause problems in crowded regions, especially in mesh-heavy regions, and you're running three times that.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Your LOD factor is far, far too high. The viewer is designed to only use a certain amount of memory and will start paging/purging regardless of how much memory high-end systems have, and the LOD setting is a major component of the memory-control system. Even the popular kludge of setting LOD to 4 will cause problems in crowded regions, especially in mesh-heavy regions, and you're running three times that.

If I'm not mistaken, even though it allows you to set a higher number it still caps at 4.

I do remember that the discussion about a year ago was to hard code that into the viewers as well as a limit on max_concurrent_requests.

No I haven't messed with any other debugs.  I tried all that was suggested, now I am  getting this error message while logged in:

NVIDEA OpenGL lost connection with display driver due to exceeding Windows time-out limit.   Error Code 7.  Plus I am still getting intermittent mouse freezing up.  This computer is only a little over a year old (Alienware X51).  Don't know what else to do!  Thanks!!

Treycee Melody wrote:

I tried all that was suggested

Are you sure?  Specifically, are you sure you tried this... link... which suggest setting PhysX to CPU?

To do this, in the Nvidia Control Panel, go to 3D Settings/Configure Surround, PhysX; under PhysX settings, where it says Processor:, click the drop-down menu and select CPU; then click Apply.

...Dres

If you didn't already make sure that your nvidia graphics drivers are up to date from the nvidia web site.

Go to NVIDIA Control Panel --> Manage 3D Settings --> Global Settings, and switch "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer Maximum Performance" Individual programs can also be set to "Prefer Maximum Performance but setting the global setting is the (possible) fix.

Other than that it is a sign that you are over taxing your card and just need to bring the graphics settings down a bit. If you try hitting the refresh button in the graphics settings tab it will change them to the recommended settings for that card

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.