Problems! Help?

pinkpunkpanda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Alright, so I'm having a few different problems.

My SecondLife keeps randomly shutting down/off (although I'm suspicious that that may be caused by other users?), and I keep getting an error message saying that I'm missing some kind of media-plugin that would allow me to see/use/whatever 'mime type'?

Anyways, is there any way to fix both (or more importantly the second) problems? Preferably without re-downloading SecondLife Viewer all over again.

It spams my notifications in SecondLife Viewer and totally blocks the right side of the screen...I try to close it all the time and it won't stop. Each one says the same thing, that I'm missing a media plug-in for 'mime type'.

"No Media Plugin was found to handle the 'text/html' mime type. Media of this type will be unavailable."

There is a thread on this here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Text-html-mime-type/td-p/1094507

The previous problem was caused bu Norton:

I was looking at their website. The only related problem I see like yours NJMike is a conflict with Norton 360 with a warning then quarantines and removes slplugin.exe from Singularity Viewer directory. Might that be a possibility that your antivirus protection has quarantined the slplugin. exe ?  If not you can post the problem to their website so the build team can answer it for you.

If you are using Norton, try this:

OPen up Norton Security Suite, under PC security protected tab > veiw details >virus and spyware scan > click on details > click on security history. That should show you what has been quarantined by the security suite.

You may want to replace Norton with some other antivirus.  I found it a source of problems years ago and remove in from every machine I buy.   I use a PC and am happy with Microsoft Security Essentials.  Free and has never blosked anything  that I wanted to use.

TKR

In the future remember:

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

It also helps to know if you are using a laptop or a desktop and a wired or wireless connection.

Without that information all we can do is guess. That means you have to try all our bad guesses and eliminate them one by one. This is easier for all of us, if you give us good information to start with.

----------

Random shut downs are quit often a heating issue. Get a free program called speedfans. It will let you read temperatures from sensors in the computer.

You can look in the Second Life viewer log to see what may have caused the crash. You will find it in: 

C:\Users\[win_login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\[viewer_name]\logs\

Search for error and/or warning starting from the end of the log and going toward the start.

Log offs with an error message are usually connection issues. A good Internet connection does not necessarily mean you have a good connection SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.