Problem with New Radeon 7850

gattm99

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3539 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I haven't been much of a gamer for the last couple of years, but I recently started exploring SL again and have been enjoying it.  I decided to update my Nvidia GTS 250 card.  It was really loud and getting dated.  I found a great deal on a Radeon HD 7850.  So far I'm pretty bummed out, I can't really tell a difference between the two cards.  On Ultra I was getting around 12 fps with the Nividia, and with the Radeon I'm getting maybe 16 fps.  On lowest settings I was gettin a a higher frame rate with the old card.

Looks like I didn't do my homework, AMD cards aren't great for SL, but the 7850 should perform better then this? 

Any ideas?

Benchmarks for video cards are here: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+7850

The 7850 head to head with a 250 us almost 4 times faster. This suggests that your system settings or other components in the your computer are the bottle neck.

Be sure to tweak you video control panel via the ATI/AMD control panel for SL.

http://blog.nalates.net/2010/12/17/graphics-tweaking-for-second-life/

My GTX560 usually only shows a graphics load of 25 to 35%. It gave me very little improvement over my 8800. My Quad Core CPU carries most of the load rendering SL. Memory speed has a big impact on SL performance.

You can use the Resource Meter  (a basic feature in Windows) to see what part of your system is likely creating the bottle neck. System Explorer (free) and GPU-Z (free) will show you other aspects of how your system is performing.

With CPU-Z (free) you can check the type and speed of your memory chips. Look up the specs on your motherboard (CPU-Z will give you model numbers) to see what speed memory chips it can handle.  You can upgrade with good but cheap memory via eBay.

Thanks,

Just ran the Unigine Valley benchmark and was getting in the mid 40s fps. 

I forgot to mention the actual problem besides what I feel like is poor performance.  

If I have the graphic settings around mid or higher after a few minutes of horribly slow frame rates eventually the viewer goes into a lowres mode.

Haven't tried any other viewers yet, just the official one.  

Ahh problem solved, stupid me had accidently installed x86 windows.  Figured it out when the x64 firestorm viewer failed to install.  New windows install and now I'm getting much better performance from the 7850, around 30 fps on Ultra.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3539 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.