Honored Resident
Faustus Flux

Phoenix Viewer

I'm sure there a lot of people who run the Phoenix SL viewer. However, I downloaded it and it locked my machine up tough when I tried to start it. By that I mean no courser control, and no ability to initiate Task Manager. The only choice I had was to push the reset button. Now my Bios takes a lot longer to load. And windows takes an agonizingly long time to load. By THAT I mean at least 4 minutes. :smileysad: I have tried to repair windows to no avail. The bios I'm assuming will take a flash to fix. And it looks like a clean install of windows.

If anyone out there is considering the Phoenix SL viewer, I DO NOT recommend it. Please think very carefully before you do.

Dresden Ceriano
Topics: 65

Re: Phoenix Viewer

Reply to Faustus Flux - view message

It's a shame that this has happened to you.  Have you considered that what happened could have been merely coincidental?  I'm never heard of the installation of a viewer wreaking such havoc on a system.  It could be that your system wasn't all that healthy to begin with and installing another program was all it took to break the camel's back.  I only say this because unless you know for sure that Phoenix was the actual cause, there may be something else you should look at to avoid problems in the future.

Good luck ...Dres

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Vladi Hazelnut

[ Edited ]

There is nothing in phoenix that would cause this to happen, certainly not that would effect your bios for sure. If you suspect the phoenix program though my first question would be did you get it directly from their website or somewhere else? If you didn't get it directly from their website god only knows what you may have downloaded. But I doubt it had anything to do with the phoenix viewer.

Thousands upon thousands of people use this viewer, if this were a possible side effect of the program surely we would have heard many complaints by now.

For one thing the bios has nothing to do with the computer as you know it, or with your operating system. It is on a seperate chip on the motherboard. If it is taking an abnormally long amount of time for your computer to post, run its diagnostics and start windows then something is wrong with the hardware. Possibly memory problems, the bois chip itself failing or even the battery on your mother board being bad.

Regardless of how your computer got screwed up, this is where I would start to fix it. If the comptuer will load the operating system start it up and back up any important information you have. Then restart the comptuer and go into the bios and set it to the default parameters. After that re install windows. Don't repair it, format the drive and re install it. Windows get messed up from time and microsoft actually suggests re installing it from time to time.

This will rule out any virus, malicious software or glitched software or drivers. If you do this and it still doesn't work right, again you are looking at hardware problems. Bad hard drive, some bad memory or possibly something going bad on your motherboard itself.

Good luck

jjccc Coronet

You must have installed the wrong version if you read there blog it tells you about the other version that dosnt screw up your computer

I Love Art
Dresden Ceriano

Reply to jjccc Coronet - view message

jjccc Coronet wrote:

You must have installed the wrong version if you read there blog it tells you about the other version that dosnt screw up your computer

The differences in versions have to do with whether or not your CPU supports SSE2.  If it doesn't, the viewer will not work correctly but it will not screw up your computer, so, in this case, that wouldn't be an issue.

...Dres

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Baloo Uriza
Topics: 12

Reply to jjccc Coronet - view message

jjccc Coronet wrote:

I see the old Emerald team is up to it's usual abilities for QA before posting binaries for human consumption.  And people really need a reason not to trust them.  Makes it obvious PT Barnum was an optimist by saying suckers are only born once a minute...

nikita Jefferson

I have used the Phoenix viewer for a long time and it is one of the most used viewers on SL

That being said,i seem to remember i had a similar problem when Phoenix first came out,i had used Emerald before that.

When i first downloaded Phoenix,norton did not recognize it as good download and froze my computer,now norton does recognize it and i have no problems with the downloads.

I had forgotten about that,not sure if your antivirus program thinks it.s bad program and is blocking it and in the process locking your machine up.

Back when i complained about it i received many insullts for using norton from the forums

Dresden Ceriano

Reply to nikita Jefferson - view message

nikita Jefferson wrote:

Back when i complained about it i received many insullts for using norton from the forums

Well, that's to be expected... many people can't stand Norton and with good reason.

That being said, I would never insult anyone for simply being ignorant of the problems it can and does cause... but that is perhaps a topic for a different discussion on a different forum.

...Dres  (I heard, a while back, that Norton came out with a gamer version that was pretty good, but I've never looked into it since there are so many superior anti-virus programs out there... just saying.)

nikita Jefferson

Reply to Dresden Ceriano - view message

Perhaps you could enlighten me as to what problems i am having with Norton that don't exist,as you just called me ignorant,oh sorry you said you would never insult anyone,my mistake

That phoenix problem is the only problem i have had with norton and all it was trying to do was protect my computer for what it did 'nt recognize at the time as Phoenix was new and not enough people had downloaded it for it to know it was safe

But as for being insulted on the foums for using norton is riduculous,its a choice and no ones business.

I am a vegetarian by choice and what anyone else does is their business and i do not insult people for their choices and so on and so on.

If someone has a problem all is needed is a suggestion not insults,but then again that says a lot about the people doing the insulting and i m glad i m not like that

Here we go again,all i did was give the OP a suggestion and i get called ignorant

Baloo Uriza
Topics: 12

Reply to Dresden Ceriano - view message

Without being insulting, you're much better off using Microsoft Security Essentials instead of Norton or AVG.  Or just using a real operating system instead of one that makes it too easy to write malicious software for.