Optimizing FPS in crowded clubs, feedback wanted please

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Before I get started, of course I know you're not going to get fantastic FPS in clubs. However, if I can *optimize* my FPS, I'd be happy. I don't want to upgrade my hardware yet, but I know down the road I will have to.

I think I know most of the tricks and tips. Right now I put my settings on the lowest I can possibly go and I turn off as much as I can.  I'm using the latest Firestorm (and yes I know FS is not supported by LL). Am I missing a tweak ? Thanks in advance.

Steve

The biggest impact for me is turning down the number of non-imposter Avatars.

If I run in a window that takes up about half the area of my screen, I get about 50% higer frame rate.

Decreasing the draw distance helps me some. Although this has minimal impact on how fast I can walk aroung, it allows the room turn from gray to rezzed faster. 

I've never been able to see any impact on my own fps from clothing/attachment or from the number of scripts I have on.  Once, I took a very detailed, prim heavy pair of boots that had 140 (removable, thank goodness) resizing scripts in each boot.  I went up to wearing 10 pairs, at various attachment points, my fps just did not seem to care.  (It was in a mainland sim that was full to capacity with avatars.  Hopefuly my resource hogging test did not cause too many of them to crash).

I suspect that as with lots of other things in SL, the details of your machine and internet connection matter a lot, so your milage may vary.

The LONG story is here: http://blog.nalates.net/2010/12/17/graphics-tweaking-for-second-life/ It is getting old but it explains what the various settings do and which can be turned up with little performance cost and which will make significant difference.

Max bandwidth is mostly misunderstood. Setting it over 1,500 is very likely to reduce performance. If  your viewer stats show lost packets, the max bandwidth needs to be turned down. Lost packets here can have almost nothing to do with your connection to SL, but is all about whether the region server is keeping up.

Max Bandwidth only controls UDP packets. With many of the SL services and downloads being moved to HTTP much of the load is taken off the UDP pipeline. But, it is that p[ipeline that updates your viewer as to what other avatars are doing. In clubs the channel will be loading up. So, make sure it is working well. If you think your connection to SL may be the problem, not the same as your general Internet connection, see: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.