New feature? Thumbnail images for folders?

Snickers Snook

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As I was scrolling through my collection of outfits, I realized I was hopelessly lost as to what was what. While I try to retitle folders so that they are more meaningful than "Charlotte in Blue", I still can't remember the details. So I thought what if you could have an arbitrary image assigned to a folder and converted into a thumbnail. It might even be helpful for builds. However, I'd only want to see this feature if it didn't appreciably affect viewer performance and if it could be turned off and on, or made into a different "view" on Inventory.

I made a JIRA for this. Comments and thoughts welcome!

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-27168

I think this is an excellent idea - currently the UI favours those who like text whereas several people prefer to think visually, so it would be good to have the choice (and some elements of this will be reflected in forthcoming UI changes).  From a technical viewpoint there would be a small rendering cost, but it would be relatively insignificant.

Thats a great idea for merchants!

Or people with huge inventories lol

And untill we get something like that, you can take photos of your outfits and save them to your drive, or even upload somewhere (there are many sites you can do that), put some description.. or whatever you want.

I'm not a merchant and think for myself, and other average sl users, we don't really need huge inventories, I delete all folders thats I can't remember. For others, I do the old simple way - keep thumbnail images in my mind lol

I don't see the value of this, if you have many thing in your inventory there's no way you are going to remember every icon which you would have to do as icons on folders are so small they are more of a symbol rather then an actual photo. The render cost would be small but it would also be new constant. However if you would like a picture to remember what's what which is a great idea why not just put on the outfit and take a photo and put it in that folder so you can really see what it is.

Many merchants sell their outfits with photos in the folders along with the clothes. I rarely look at them cause its kinda annoying to open every folder and scroll down to the photo lol

And to take a snapshot of every outfit, in a long run its a cost. I would go with save to disk option and then later upload it on Flickr or some other site. Or leave it on your hard.

You don't need to make those photos available to public... But it would be interesting to see other peoples closets;) I am imagining the whole sets of photos - hairs, shoes, dresses...

I don't know that it would load the server up at all. Maybe it could be built-in to the viewer and cached locally just like everything else is. I think knowing what you are going to try on rather than wearing an outfit, taking it off, wearing another, etc. might actually reduce server load a bit.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.