New Second Life "Berlin" HTTP Viewer: Fast, faster, much faster

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have tested the new Second Life HTTP Viewer version 3.7.18.295372 today. All what I can say is: That's awesome! The new viewer is fast, faster, much faster! I have seen speed increases, which I would never have thought that's possible. Thank you Linden Lab!

It's just a beta viewer but the new viewer completes the changes that LL has made in the last few months, comprising CDN, keepalive connections and HTTP-Pipelining. Read more about it here.

At the moment CDN is not used in all regions. But you can test it for example in INSILICO. Install the new viewer from here, clear your viewer cache, set the draw distance to 512 meter and increase your maximum bandwith to 10000 kbps (normally you should not set it higher than 1500 kbps, but now you can). For me the complete region loads in less than 6 seconds. Without the new technology it takes more than a minute. That's really awesome. I have called the new viewer "Berlin" Viewer, because of the title of the article "The Sky Over Berlin" ;-)

If the new viewer comes out it's a must for everyone. I'm so excited. 

It is exciting but the bandwidth setting doesn't have anything to do with it. That setting is just a throttle on the UDP traffic, nothing to do with HTTP. HTTP regulates its own bandwidth usage subject to availability. UDP hardly ever needs more than 1000 kbps as you can see by watching the usage in the statistics bar. Opening it up to 10000 kbps might even slow down HTTP traffic if the protocol detects that there is less bandwidth available for it to use.

Bittersweet Frostbite wrote:

.......set the draw distance to 512 meter........

:smileyhappy:.. That`s fine(ish) on island regions but if you`re on a continent and surrounded by other regions might be better to just raise dd by 50 or 100 meters at a time.

Agrees it`s a nice viewer and with CDN pretty epic :smileyhappy:

Bittersweet Frostbite wrote:

<snip>

I increase your maximum bandwith to 10000 kbps (normally you should not set it higher than 1500 kbps, but now you can).

</snip>

Read Oz Linden's comments here, message 17, specifically this:

"One of the reasons that it can be bad to set your Bandwidth setting very high is that it allows the amount of UDP to increase too much; since UDP does not have any other form of congestion control, too much of it can cause loss of TCP packets, resulting in much reduced performance on those connections."

Nalates Urriah wrote:

Any setting above 1,500 can create problems in the UDP channel. The Max Bandwidth value should be no more than 80% of your measured download sppen or 1,500, whichever is smaller.

The Firestorm Developer Team makes these recommendations.

Why Maestro Linden recommends for a test of CDN regions, to set the maximum bandwidth to 10,000 kbps?

see: Texture And Mesh Fetch Testing > Recommended test setup

Maddy Gynoid wrote:

Nalates Urriah wrote:

Any setting above 1,500 can create problems in the UDP channel. The Max Bandwidth value should be no more than 80% of your measured download sppen or 1,500, whichever is smaller.

The Firestorm Developer Team makes these recommendations.

Why Maestro Linden recommends for a test of CDN regions, to set the maximum bandwidth to 10,000 kbps?

see:
> Recommended test setup

Then it must be something specific for testing with the Beta Viewer.  It is afterall a "recomended test set up."

For anyone using a different Viewer I would follow Oz's advice that I cited.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Then it must be something specific for testing with the Beta Viewer.

No, this is a test instruction for the official viewer. Look at the second line of the description:

"No special viewer support required (works with the Second Life 3.7.14 release viewer)".

SaraCarena wrote:

That test was on aditi (beta grid) in an isolated region, 10,000 kbps wasn`t advised for all CDN regions. Conditions on maingrid aren`t the same.

Also from the test description:

"This service is live on Agni now, in the “Second Life RC Snack” channel".

But perhaps a participant in the next Beta Server User Group may ask why 10,000 kbps is recommended?

If you look back at that link the text above the line

"This service is live on Aditi now, in the “DRTSIM-258” channel "

was added (edited) to that page when snack channel went live. The text below refers to the aditi test which was live for a week or 2 before snack channel was set up. The recommended settings are for the aditi test, not CDN in general.

Maddy Gynoid wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Then it must be something specific for testing with the Beta Viewer.

No, this is a test instruction for the official viewer. Look at the second line of the description:

"No special viewer support required (works with the Second Life 3.7.14 release viewer)".

SaraCarena wrote:

That test was on aditi (beta grid) in an isolated region, 10,000 kbps wasn`t advised for all CDN regions. Conditions on maingrid aren`t the same.

Also from the test description:

"This service is live on Agni now, in the “Second Life RC Snack” channel".

But perhaps a participant in the next Beta Server User Group may ask why 10,000 kbps is recommended?

my bad for not reading the whole page

i jumped to a conclusion because the thread was titled 'http viewer'

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.