New Computer in 2014

Rillie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3596 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a new computer.  During working hours, I use my computer for small business, and I create documents in Microsoft Word, which I know the recipients will be able to open.  In off-hours, I like to spend time in SL.  These are my two main uses for the computer.

I would like to purchase a system that will run SL well.  I will not be building my own, and I would like to stay under $1,000, if possible.  I received a proposal with the following specs, but a friend said he did not think the processor would be good enough.  So now I would like to get opinions, comments, and suggestions not only about the processor, but about the system as a whole.   Thank you.

Brand              Mfr #                              Description

AMD                FD4130FRGUBOX     FX 4130 3.80GHz C4 AM3+ RET       

GIGABYTE     GA-78LMT-USB3        AM3+ V X16 4D3 M32 GL R MATX    

PATRIOT        PSD38G16002           8GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800

TOSHIBA       HDKPC03                    1TB 3.5 SATA3 7200RPM 32MB Cache        

LG                   GH24NSBOB               DVD±RW DL 24x SATA Black           

ZOTAC            ZT-70401-10P             GeForce GTX760 2GD5 2DVI HDMI DSP          

Onboard Sound          

10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Onboard

INWIN            Z638T.CQ350TBL        MATX Mini-Tower Case  Black             1

ULTRA           ULT-LSP650                  650W PSU

MICROSOFT                                          Windows 7 Pro

A mini case with a 770 card? You're crazy if you think its going to fit!

This is the build I just ordered -> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3HL28

Will handle SL on ultra no problem. Processor built for a workstation, so ill change it out to something that suits gaming/basic use for word and such.

Case I have is on sale right now at newegg so drop another $40 off it

If you don't use much space maybe the 1tb isn't needed, but the SSD will make your pc run like a cheetah. SSD as a boot drive and active drive will be awesome. Gonna get another one in the future and raid 0 them. Then raid 1 my storage drive.

Replaced the memory to 8 gigs for you as well

Building your own is super easy btw. It'll be hard to find something to compete with what I sent you and be under $1000. They usually add $500+ to the price

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ISE0

$885 if you build it. Including shipping and handling. If not, Those are some decent specs to aim for. Albeit getting that will be hard. 

Got a phillips head? :P

A couple of things to think about, based on my own experience:

1: Cooling fans

You don't mention the CPU heatsink/fan, and it may be included.  My case has a vent in the side, which delivers air direct to the CPU fan. I also use an outlet fan just below the PSU. Whatever size the ports in the case, use the largest diameter that will fit. If you have to fit the CPU heatsink/fan remember the thermal grease. A thin smear, no more, to bridge the gaps left by slight surface unevenness.

2: Expansion slots

Apart from the graphics slot, you may not need to add anything else. But adding a graphics card often blocks both the PCIe slots. The usual two PCI slots can be useful, perhaps an add-on sound card, but they are looking slow for some purposes.

The specs look  quite good, if you find out later that the fx 4xxx CPU will not suffice, you can still throw an fx 6xxx or 8xxx cpu in the AM3+ socket later. The only problem I see is also the size of the case  Looked up the case, and I don't think you should run into problems with it being too small.

Have fun with your new machine

J.

arabellajones wrote:

A couple of things to think about, based on my own experience:

1: Cooling fans

You don't mention the CPU heatsink/fan, and it may be included.  My case has a vent in the side, which delivers air direct to the CPU fan. I also use an outlet fan just below the PSU. Whatever size the ports in the case, use the largest diameter that will fit. If you have to fit the CPU heatsink/fan remember the thermal grease. A thin smear, no more, to bridge the gaps left by slight surface unevenness.

2: Expansion slots

Apart from the graphics slot, you may not need to add anything else. But adding a graphics card often blocks both the PCIe slots. The usual two PCI slots can be useful, perhaps an add-on sound card, but they are looking slow for some purposes.

Unless you plan on overclocking you don't need any extra fans. The CPU comes with a fan and the case does as well. The thermal paste is a $8 bonus, but also not realy needed. You wont be hitting high CPU temps running secondlife. Its more GPU intensive, which also has its own fans :)

MIstahMoose wrote:

Unless you plan on overclocking you don't need any extra fans. The CPU comes with a fan and the case does as well. The thermal paste is a $8 bonus, but also not realy needed. You wont be hitting high CPU temps running secondlife. Its more GPU intensive, which also has its own fans
:)

It's all preference of course, but since the OP seems to be speccing for a fairly hefty AMD chip, I would definitely recommend at least a third-party cooler. Top-mounting case fans also works brilliantly with high-heat CPUs, suck all the heat up and out without having to worry about it dumping around the drive bays/into the cabling. For $5, you're gonna make the money back in component longevity.

Recently built a PC using that AMD chip mentioned, with the stock cooler - disappointing. On-the-chip temps of ~50°C with zero dust and only booting to the BIOS. That would never last 6 months between cleanings.

Had to waste a week waiting on a far superior replacement from Arctic.

An AMD fx 4xxx is not that heat developing and  'hefty*, get informed about AMD cpu performance classes before you call a AMD quadcore 'hefty'. it's fx4xxxx ( quadcore), fx6xxx ( hexacore, fx 8xxx ( octacore and fx 9xxx ( Hefty octacore that requires even a special mainboard).

My desktp machine runs an FX 8350 with a stock cooler,  next to silent, never more than 55-60° C temp unless I compile something on all 8 cores ( you can  convert that to non iso temp units like  fahrenheid yourself) .

J.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post, especially Jean Horten.  My purchase has been finalized, and here are the specs: 

Brand                         Mfr #                               Description

AMD                            FD8350FRHKBOX      FX 8350 4.00 GHz C8 AM3 + RET      

GIGABYTE                 GA-78LMT-USB3         AM3+ V X16 4D3 M32 GL R MATX    

PATRIOT                    PSD38G16002            8GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800

TOSHIBA                   HDKPC01                     500GB SATA3 7200RPM 32MB Cache        

LG                              GH24NSBOB                DVD±RW DL 24x SATA Black           

ZOTAC                       ZT-70301-10P              GeForce GTX770 2GD5 X16 2DVI HDMI DSP 

Onboard Sound          

10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Onboard

INWIN                        Z638T.CQ350TBL        MATX Mini-Tower Case  Black            

ULTRA                       ULT-LSP650                  650W PSU

MICROSOFT            FQC-01247 LIC             Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1 COA

MICROSOFT                                                      Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1 Media

Really looking forward to enjoying SL again!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3596 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.