Meeting system requirements

BlackWidow908

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello... currently looking to buy a new economical laptop and am not exactly the most savy person when it comes to computer hardware.  Would someone be so kind to offer some insight on whether SL will function well for this laptop?  I'm thinking it is, but am looking for a second opinion (more specifically on graphics card).  My current laptop is pretty old and every viewer I try loves to regularly crash on busy sims. :matte-motes-shocked:

Product Features

• 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i3-3120M processor
    Features a 3MB cache and 2.5GHz processor speed.
  • Intel® Core™ i3 processor
    Features smart 4-way processing performance for HD quality computing. Intel® HD graphics provide extra graphics power for your laptop when you need it.
  • 6GB DDR3 memory
    For multitasking power, expandable to 16GB.
  • Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
    Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.
  • 15.6" LED-backlit TFT high-definition widescreen display
    With TruBrite technology, 1366 x 768 native resolution and native support for 720p content showcases your favorite movies, games and other visual media in crisp, stunning clarity.
  • 750GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
    Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
  • Mobile Intel® HD graphics
    Feature shared video memory for lush images with rich, intricate detail. HDMI output offers flexible connectivity options.
  • Built-in high-definition webcam with microphone
    Makes it easy to video chat with family and friends.
  • Multiformat media reader
    Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, SDXC, miniSD, microSD and MultiMediaCard formats.
  • 1 USB 3.0 port and 2 USB 2.0 ports
    For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
  • Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
    Lets you easily connect to the Internet without wires.
  • Built-in 10/100 Ethernet LAN
    With RJ-45 connector allows quick and simple wired Web connection.
  • Weighs 5.3 lbs. and measures just 1.3" thin
    For easy portability. Standard keyboard with 10-keypad allows comfortable typing and simple data entry.
  • Trax Horizon finish in satin black
    Creates a stylish appearance.
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit operating system preinstalled
    Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
  • Software package included
    With Adobe Reader and more. Includes 1-month trial of Microsoft Office 365.
  • ENERGY STAR certified
    Designed to use less energy and meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy.
  • Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

And here is a link to the page itself:  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-c55-a5100-laptop-internet-security-software-sleeve-mouse-flash-drive-package/9999220100050023.p?id=pcmprd219000050023&skuId=9999220100050023&childSku=3292031&count=1#productdetail

Thank you in advance.

That Machine is a typical business laptop for basic office use, web browsing and all that entry level stuff people do on computers in  standard office/business usage. It will not run Second life well, it  might run SL with lowest graphics settings, but don't expect to get high fps rates from the integrated Intel HD4000 graphics chip .

J.

The operatinig system is the big factor in performance. Mac's all around are worse then the Windwos machines. Linux machines are behind the curve unless you are making your own viewer.

Mac's running anything earlier than 10.7 have serious problems. Those with ATI graphics even more so.

Windows XP has a very high crash rate. Win7 & 8 64-bit are the most stable for all viewers.

The best choices for SL use is a Windows 7 or 8 64-bit with an nVidia 400 series or better graphics card. Core2 Quads (US$250 range) run well, but the newer iCore chips by Intel (new/refurbished $400 range) are way better.

Getting the best performance for SL is a challenge. SL stresses the entire system; CPU, GPU, memory, disk...

Those with SSD drives rave about how much better they are than the hard drives with spinning disks we are used to.

There are so many things that affect performance the entire computer has to be considered and components matched up. To keep it simple, go for at least an iCore quad process of some type, nVidia graphics, 4gb or more of fast memory - preferably 8gb, and a fast drive.

Honestly I'm glad you asked for a second opinion, my opinion is don't get it, It's not built for gaming... I would save up and shell out a few extra hundreds to get a PC that can actually run Second Life well. The i3 is like the lowest you can go, i5 is medium, and i7 is the best so far. As for the Ram 6GB is nowadays really on the lower end, a standard for now is 8, but you can of course get even more like upto 64 gigs plus. The hard drive space is meh honestly, again not big enough to hold a lot of games or much of anything else, I personally try not to go under a Terabyte.

Basically you're looking at a notebook which is really good for just doing web browsing and light things like that. With the "3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i3-3120M processor" that's entry level, VERY basic it's like the lowest. If I were you I would aim for an i7 or get AMD.

Really the main downfall is low end processors, graphic cards, and ram comes into play with speed,etc. You definitely need to mention when you're out and about looking to shop for a laptop/desktop that you're looking for a system that is built specifically for gaming. Gaming PC's are built totally different, they're built to be able to withstand games, as other lower end PC's are not able to usually run the newer games with higher end graphic requirements.

With that laptop you may not crash, but you'd probably lag around so much it would just be a hassel...

For me I usually try not to go under $800 for a laptop, and $1,000 for a tower... I know that's expensive but it's worth it as most PC's last 5 or more years and with good specs it's so worth it!

Nalates Urriah wrote:

The operatinig system is the big factor in performance. Mac's all around are worse then the Windwos machines. Linux machines are behind the curve unless you are making your own viewer.

Mac's running anything earlier than 10.7 have serious problems. Those with ATI graphics even more so.

Windows XP has a very high crash rate. Win7 & 8 64-bit are the most stable for all viewers.

The best choices for SL use is a Windows 7 or 8 64-bit with an nVidia 400 series or better graphics card. Core2 Quads (US$250 range) run well, but the newer iCore chips by Intel (new/refurbished $400 range) are way better.

Getting the best performance for SL is a challenge. SL stresses the entire system; CPU, GPU, memory, disk...

Those with SSD drives rave about how much better they are than the hard drives with spinning disks we are used to.

There are so many things that affect performance the entire computer has to be considered and components matched up. To keep it simple, go for at least an iCore quad process of some type, nVidia graphics, 4gb or more of fast memory - preferably 8gb, and a fast drive.

Why would an incomplete, insecure, expensive Operating System be  'the best choice'?

You referring to Windows?

Maybe because 99% of programs are built for Windows... Majority of softwares are written for Windows machines. Lol Macs are the most expensive and incomplete OS not windows. I mean Macs can't do hardly anything but play music and surf the web...

MizzKittenzz wrote:

You referring to Windows?

Maybe because 99% of programs are built for Windows... Majority of softwares are written for Windows machines. Lol Macs are the most expensive and incomplete OS not windows. I mean Macs can't do hardly anything but play music and surf the web...

99% of all Windows programmes are made for windows, right.

95% of all malware is made for windows too by the way, with the nsa affair in mind, one could even say, Windows per se is malware.

There's more than Windows and MAC around, but Microsoft brainwash seems to work perfecty, even if the people read about  nsa spying on  windows users, they run off to their computer shop and buy a new windows machine and use Google as search provider.

90% of  viewers I know run better on Linux than on Windows.

J.

I actually was not referring to linux, my husband uses linux and windows, but my opinion still stands on macs, they're no good.

As for viruses, I agree there are many viruses that attack windows, but if one were smart they could either avoid the viruses altogether, or buy a virus protection software. Macs may not get as many viruses as windows but then again no wonder, the hackers/etc don't want to waste time with junk, they want to hit the major businesses etc (as many business use windows).

NSA is not just spying on windows, any OS, cellphones, tvs, you name it... Just because someone runs on a mac or linux don't mean they're safe from spying, you use the web? do you have a webcam? use email? use any kind of messenger - yahoo, etc? Then you're being spied on...

Do you go outside? You're being spied on. Ever heard of drones? Or facial reconnection? Go to walmart or any store at all? Then they already have your face and your walking pattern and your voice in the system...

Also if you drive a newer model vehicle with GPS then yea they're already tracking you everywhere you go

-- So that argument is invalid.

MizzKittenzz wrote:

Ever heard of drones?

Yes, I'm reading a post by one at this very moment.

MizzKittenzz wrote:

Or facial reconnection?

Erm, no, I can't say that I have. Is it similar to osculation?

Wooja...wasteanymoretimereadingthis**bleep**idontthinkso

To answer your original question, it depends on how well you want it to run.

It /will/ run well on low graphical settings with that machine. I got SL to run acceptably on a first-generation netbook with the cheapest Atom processor/iGPU. You are looking at a 2.5Ghz vs. 1.6Ghz CPU that I was using, your machine will have 6GB of RAM where mine had 1GB, and your iGPU is much better than the one I was using. That being said, you will probably be stuck near the lowest of graphical settings for a decent frame rate. If that is running well for you, go ahead and get it.

If you want medium to beautiful graphics, heavy sims, or a long draw distance, you will need more GPU power. For going down this route, I recommend getting at least an Intel i5 with any dedicated GPU or an AMD A6 APU.

So, if you want to run around, see the sights, talk people/groups, and do other simple stuff, that laptop is fine. If you want to feel immersed, watch pretty effects, or run through the more script-heavy and highly-populated areas, get something higher up on the laptop hardware ladder.

To you people trying to debate each other, please keep it relevent to the thread, make another thread for it, or do such in private messages.

• 5 months later...

Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256MB
Graphics Card Description GeForce GT 320M
Graphics RAM Type VRAM
Graphics Card Ram Size 256 MB
Graphics Card Interface PCI
Power Source AC

will SL run on this please ??  Its a refurbished MacBook-13inch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.