MaxFPS not working ?

phaedra Exonar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just heard about the MaxFPS setting in the debug settings.   I set mine  to 30 but I don't see any changes in the statistics window, there's it's still bouncing over 100 at times.  Is the statistics window showing me what I would be running at if I didn't  have the MaxFPS set, or dose this mean I don't have it set right?  I'm using firestorm as my viewer but all so tested the LL viewer and get the same results.

I'm having the same issue. My FPS is about 95, the highest was 130 FPS.  It makes the secondary fans run.

I was not aware of a debug setting, I will try to set a maxFPS, see if it works.

I had first thought is was a runaway CPU problem. It appears that the program will try to run as fast as it can.

I think it's the GPU that we need to check,  just starting to look in to that,  looks like for windows you need to down load a GPU meter,  not sure about a iMac

I just turned my computer to high performance which normal immediately turns the fan on and it didn't this time so the MaxFPS may be working, but just doesn't show in the statistics window.  Even went to the laggyiest place I know and my computer is not wining about it, still took time to load but no complaining :)

You can still cap your FPS in your GPU settings.

For NVidia cards, open the NVIDIA Control Panel, Manage 3D settings, open the Program Settings tab and find the executable of your viewer. (For example secondlife.exe)

Then change Threaded optimization and Triple buffering on and set Vertical sync to Adaptive or Adaptive (half refresh rate)

On a 60 Hz monitor that will cap your fps to either 60 or 30.

There is no average player, and even if there would be one, he or she would not be representative of anything or anyone.

If everything is smooth to you, it's good enough for you.

I cap my fps at 60. In busy or laggy sims, that number can drop to 25 or so. Usually I'm fine with anything over 15-20 I guess, but it really depends on what I am doing. If you fly from one side of a sim to the other, you'll need a higher framerate than when you are sitting on a chair and talking to someone for a "smooth experience".

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

There is no average player, and even if there would be one, he or she would not be representative of anything or anyone.

If everything is smooth to you, it's good enough for you.

I cap my fps at 60. In busy or laggy sims, that number can drop to 25 or so. Usually I'm fine with anything over 15-20 I guess, but it really depends on what I am doing. If you fly from one side of a sim to the other, you'll need a higher framerate than when you are sitting on a chair and talking to someone for a "smooth experience".

Ok, I get it.  Stupid question.  Sometimes we just don't know what we just don't know. 

According to Debug Settings in the SL Wiki the control MaxFPS is supposed to: Yield some time to the local host if we reach a threshold framerate

It does not seem to be a cap on frame rate. If only the viewer is running, there isn't much else the computer is doing. I would not expect to see the viewer's FPS changing much.

MaxFPS debug setting seems to have accidentally leaked into the LL settings file but it's an orphan. (Firestorm normally uses this setting, but it's broken in the current beta.)

The LL code isn't actually referencing MaxFPS at all, but it does have the YieldTime setting.

(On FS, when this feature is working, it does still throttle the frame rate if the system is lightly loaded. The sleep time is simply eaten up by the idle process in that case.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.