Mangled Data???? HELP

Hiro Szuyuan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I need help, I cannot use SL, My viewer is crashing within ten minutes of every log in, sometimes I barely manage to get connected before I crash out, 

I am getting an error message stating the following;

"The viewer has detected mangled network data indicative of a bad upstream network connection or an incomplete local installation of the second life viewer"

Ive tried restarting modems, Ive reinstalled viewers, logged in to different sims and different avitars, cleared cache, replaced cables, attempted a secondary pc with a third party viewer, even called my ISP. Nothing I do seems to stop the problem, I really need help, this has been doing this pretty much non stop for going on 5 days now and its to the point I might as well just quit using SL cause its essentially unusable...

bad upstream network connection

Ya, it could be bad/slow upload. Please conduct a speedtest and see if your upload is beefy enough. Contrary to normal surfing SL demands good connnection in both directions. Best do the speedtest to Dallas/TX. And to make sure it's not the viewer, please do a reinstall ... and for god sakes always plug your computer into the router and avoid wifi.

Thanks for the reply

Regular speed tests leave my upload sitting approximately 0.5 - 0.6Mbps and Ive never used a wifi connection for SL in my life.

What confuses me, is Ive been using SL perfectly fine with my connection for the last several years, and for it to fail all of a sudden seems rather confusing to say the least.

Hiro, the internet isn't a static thing, it changes all the time. Particularly at this time of the year, when everybody stays at home instead of going to the beach we often encounter congested exchanges and due to the high humidity we experience failing wires and other undesirable stuff. And all the while LL is asking for better and better hardware and connections on the client side as well.

Still, call your ISP and ask them to redesign your port and if possible set you to a higher speed. And ask them straight away if your local exchange is congested ... and demannd a straight answer. If that inept lady in the callcenter can't or won't help you ask for a manager. But you'll see, come February and granny doesn't try to download the whole internet 24/7 anymore, speeds should improve anyway.

Having contacted my ISP and beating a head into my desk, the only thing they were able to advise was to try opening ports through my modem to the SL servers...

And sadly your suggestion about everyone staying home instead of going to the beach lol. Im australian, and its peak summer time here, so kind of opposite situation going on.

Im being patient as I can be, but Im sure you can imagine, its stretching thin.

Are you on the ISP Telstra? Your mention of Aus reminds me of this: Telstra's Traffic Shaping Trial

They perform traffic shaping and other tricks designed to disrupt large transfers. It's more than plausible that this would create a negative SL experience. Only solution there is to move ISP - or I think one guy recently sued to protect their right to Net Neutrality.

There's been other issues in Aus lately, unfortunately the Internet situation down there is fairly negative. But if you can supply more details about your connection (like your ISP and whether you know of any other upstream complications).

I use an ISP called Dodo Internet, I usually get about 12000Kbps download and about 800kbps upload on average, ping around 200 and the like.

According to tech support, theres nothing there that they can tell on their end, but then its hard to know for sure as they dont understand what it is Im trying to ask.

Okay~

You posted above that you expect a normal speedtest of 12000/8000kbps (down, up) - this seems suspect to me as ADSL is typically 10:1 (down, up).

You also state higher up that this is currently 500 to 600kbps on the upstream.

Is it varying this badly? Is it possible you've exceeded your allowance or not paid your latest bill?

if you read again, it states 12000 Down and 800 Up on the last speed tests I ran after speaking with my ISP.

Earlier in the week, most of my speed tests would have be varying between 500 and 600 depending on server location.

I am on an unlimited, unmetered plan, and bill is paid in advance.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.