Mandatory Update for Power PC?

Bubba Biberman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bubba Biberman wrote:

I have been using an old Mac Power PC notebook to log on alts using Viewer 1.23.5 until today when I receive a manditory update on log in for version 3 viewer, which does not support Power PC processors. Is this change permanent?

see obvious below

right-click the old SL viewer and select "show package contents"

move down to the contents/resources folder

there should already be a file arguments.txt inside, open that with textedit.

If there is a line starting with --channel, change it to something else like "Ancient Viewer"

If there isn't a line like that, add it. --channel "Ancient Viewer"

save that and the old viewer should stop demanding updates. it may not work very well with Second Life any more, but by now you probably knew this.

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

right-click the old SL viewer and select "show package contents"

move down to the contents/resources folder

there should already be a file arguments.txt inside, open that with textedit.

If there is a line starting with --channel, change it to something else like "Ancient Viewer"

If there isn't a line like that, add it.
--channel "Ancient Viewer"

save that and the old viewer should stop demanding updates. it may not work very well with Second Life any more, but by now you probably knew this.

I wasn't going to suggest obfuscation but isn't there also a 'viewer id #' they can block log ins by?

There is a problem with the OS X 10.6.8 and the latest release of the 3.7 viewer - it only  opens the game on a very small window, which is not using the wholse size of the screen, and it can not be enlarged.

When one trys to enlarge the window - it only gives white background arount it and the game icons can not be clicked.

Many of the newest viewers suffer from 1) Sudden Freezes 2) Memory Holes which cause them to get slowwwwwwer and slower after using for a few hours 3) version 1.23 is extremely dependable if you don't require mesh, and has the excellent classic U.I.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.