MacBook Pro 15' w/ GT 750M Graphics Card - forcing the card? SL Settings? Ideal resolution?

Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've got one of these arriving for me today.

The high end MacBook Pro.

I know it has two graphics cards, and integrated /bleh board that handles 'stuffz' like a generic laptop, and the graphics card, the GT 750M thingy that, while not as nice as a desktop board, is still a tad better than the integrated board.

I know I've read a thread around here somewhere on making sure to get my Mac to use the graphics board and not the integrated board when running SL and other intense apps - that, as I'd read, OSX often toggles back and forth between them at innapropriate moments or something.

I think I also read somewhere that the retina display is best tuned down - that its some sort of eleventy-gazillion pixels wide monster that will give me a negative FPS if I try to use it in SL, and that I can shunt things down to a normal laptop resolution somehow.

How do I do this stuff? and is there anything else I need to keep in mind with this laptop as opposed to my iMac?

Pussycat I always leave my (non-Retina) 15" MBP in automatic mode and have never had any issues with it switching to the integrated graphics while doing anything intensive but if you're concerned you can go into the System Preferences > Energy Saver and uncheck the box to turn off automatic graphics switching. I'd also advise against switching the resolution to anything other than the native high resolution as things will look horrible and pixellated as the display has to "fake" a lower resolution. (This is true for any LCD display. Try switching to say 1024x768 and see how distorted everythiing looks to see what I mean.)

I actually did have to switch the resolution.

By clicking the icon for Second Life's app, going into 'get info' and setting it to 'run at lower resolution'.

Before I did that everything was a bit fuzzy. The Retina display is actually something like a 6000x4000 or whatever display, and for non retina applications it just repeats the same pixel in 4 squares - making things like SL look like everything has a fuzzy shifting edge.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.