Mac OS X Yosemite

valerie Inshan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Natalee Oodles wrote:

Just noticed Loki has one with 32gigs of RAM mine has 8gigs. I wonder if maybe my computer can't handle the memory.

Oh he got his totally maxed out in specs, I just got the standard!

I don't think memory is the issue. IM Loki and see if he had any problems and, if so, what he did to address them. I think Apple has a 14 day return policy as well. Get support from Apple (which is generally very good). If you're unable to run SL, you could consider returning the iMac. Hopefully LL will offer better support for Macs, they're a growing part of the computer user base.

• 1 month later...

Just starting with my new computer on Yosemite. It's awful. Nothing seems to work. Textures don't load at all, the curser keys don't move my avatar - or with a delay of a couple of seconds and I'm constantly locked out of SL, including being locked out of my internet connection. I never had experienced something like that before. I still run SL on my old computer on the same line, so please don't assume, my line isn't ok. It's some kind of combination of SL with Yosemite. I really regret the update from Maverick. I shouldn't have done it, but I thought it's the best I could do, since everybody seems so excited about Yosemite.

• 1 month later...

Me too lots of problems with my Macbook Pro since going to Yosemite. I can get it to work but once on for sometime i get major lag issues and renedering issues. I've been reading and doing everything i can think of. even forcing it to run on one video card vs the other. not much difference. I have a Mac Pro with Maviriks on it and it works fine. the Macbook also seems now to have a problem showing me destinations or the start page on both FS and SL viewers.. Not happy with  Yosemete in any way shape or form.. also after using file vault I cant seem to recover my system back using time machine.. arghhhh...if you havent dont upgrade to Yosemite..

• 3 weeks later...

I have an older MacBook pro, but I've been running SL on Macs since I started in 2007 with absolutely no problems at all until I tried upgrading to Yosemite in November shortly after it was released - I'd previously upgraded to Mavericks and had no problems at all. But I had all kinds of problems with SL, and it didn't matter which viewer I tried (Linden, FS or Singularity) they would crash and freeze constantly. Within three days I couldn't even log in to Yosemite, it would freeze during the login process. I managed to get it repaired and rolled back to Mavericks since when it's been running SL and all my other apps absolutely fine. Apple have not been able to explain what went wrong, the only theory they had was that there were problems with the graphics drivers, but since it's been fine with Mavericks, I haven't tried to upgrade again, even though my short experience of Yosemite for all other Mac stuff was really good.

• 3 weeks later...

My problems have been solved meanwhile, but I don't know what happened. I didn't really change anything. So either the upgrade of Yosemite did it or this thing about Yosemite is true, that it is a really delicate system, reacting unpredictably. 

In general I'd say that Yosemite is good for your graphics. Things are much faster. But I played on 10.6.8 before, so not sure if the differences will be that great if you come from a newer system. 

• 1 month later...

Hi  I still have same problems. Like u did. With the Internet disconnection.
Does anyone knows why this  is happening, and  what Viewer are u using for SL.
Thank u in Advance....
Iam really searchin for answers .. is  annoyn  always to be afraid to lose connection and restart router over and over.. 

I have been using Firestorm for a good while now. It's the perfect viewer for me, mainly because I can still run it in 1.0 mode, like the Second Life viewer was in the early days. It still makes more sense to me than all following viewers by SL. Just one example: With the old viewer you can toggle audio and video inworld content seperately, in the SL viewer you can't! Isn't that ridiculous? But there's much more to Firefox that you can do. You should check it out. 

People who have said about the internet disconnection : I've heard that about Yosemite in general (not just to do with SL), that it drops your internet connection and Apple have been furiously trying to fix the  problem with each new release.

I'm running Yosemite on an external drive, but still with Snow Leopard on the main computer, where SL runs fine. So I'd advise, don't upgrade to Yosemite unless you absolutely have to.

I can't confirm that. "Dropping the internet connection"? I haven't even heard about it. I'm pretty sure, that, if you experience that, it must have other reasons.

I used Snow Leopard until 3 months ago and my experiences are, that Yosemite is faster with the graphics. Of course there are many other settings that you can toggle with, so without knowing your exact computer configuration it is hard to tell. 

Snow Leopard is quite old now and doesn't support some things anymore. F.i. I always had problems with playing Flash videos on 10.6.8.  So if you don't have any specific reason to stay with the old system I'd rather recommend upgrading. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.