MASSIVE FPS drop when using IM chat?

Metalsnake27

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Figured I'd give my two cents here about this issue. But it does seem related to today's (Oct 23rd that is) latest viewer update. As usual I installed it and it runs the very next time you open up the viewer. Things were fine til I maximized the window and would find it super laggy. First thought someone with an ENORMOUS script count showed up, or the area was being griefed, but then I tested by TP'ing out to another that is usually >empty< (so no lag, nothing whatsoever), yet my FPS was still cut down from 30 to as little as 5. It seems intermittent and I'm trying to see if chat windows cause it or not. This is really upsetting since I'd love to rollback to before the update but thats not an obvious option, that I know of. I'd like to see how widespread this is, because being a PC Tech, I know that my hardware didn't just suddenly start going bad :P

Well, I suppose I've found the culprit. As far as I can tell the two users above are infact right, and this obviously wasn't the case before since I'd easily have over 10 IM windows open, along with nearby chat getting filled with messages in a busy sim, etc etc. But, I logged in with nobody nearby, empty chat, and no IMs. The FPS was fine, near 30, then I started testing with a friend in IM, with no issues just yet. But as I'm about to dismiss that as the problem, I do realize that the more and more we messaged each other, my FPS slowly drops .5 or so at a time per every couple of messages. So I'm assuming its hogging resources as the conversation history in the current IM window increases. I went from near 30fps, and now down to 14 after a good 15 to 20min long conversation. I even decided to flood the IM window myself with word definitions and I significantly dropped my own FPS. This obviously didn't happen before, so take this is constructive criticism and a means to fix it

Hope this helps, but I'd like to know if anyone is experiencing the FPS drops after today's update in any other form, and not just chat windows. I can see how this would immediately begin dropping someone's FPS as soon as they enter a busy sim, which would make logging in pointless until its fixed.

After some messing: Yes, it's an issue with chat itself after the last viewer update.

1. After you keep chatting, your chat box starts to fill

2. As your chat box starts to fill... your FPS starts to drop

3. If very full, FPS can drop to 7-8 FPS... it's awful.

4. Change chat tab, closing chat, or going into mouselook, FPS Jumps back up to 35+.

So yeah, fix please. 

I started experiencing this recently as well.  After updating video drivers, deleting and reinstalling the SL viewere I found the same.  I have Firestorm installed too, I must test this but also noticed a slow and steady drop in fps on firestorm.

Opening a blank chat window and leaving it open my FPS jumps way up then as soon as I click on local chat or an IM I've had open for a while, drops back down.  Frustrating! 

• 2 months later...

I'm having same problem only more extreme but have been on awhile so could be the build up of chat Im at my place with FPS running between 80's and over a 100 I open local chat drops to 2.9 right now as I send this just terrible and this started friday right after i got an atomatic update agree with everyone out there hope they fix this soon makes sl a pian

• 1 month later...

3/4/14 Still having the issue, it usually happens in local chat, ive been wondering if it is more related to scripts communicating in the background, i can get a steadily slowing effect when i am in personal IM's but Nearby chat will rappidly bog FPS down to an unusable level, I have a decent computer with dual Radion 7850's and it should be able to handle things. the interface layer just seems to be bogging everything down.

• 4 weeks later...

In my case, I had to track down where my browsers stored Internet Plugins (on the Mac, they're under ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins and /System/Library/Internet Plug-Ins) and delete them. The hint I had was that I still had the Kitely plugin installed, but Kitely has abandoned it, claiming that it had serious problems with the "new way SL viewers do log in". It just happens that this "new way" was introduced at the same time that CHUI became incorporated into the viewer code. I'm not putting the blame on Kitely, it could be any other Internet Plugin interfering, but after suffering for almost a year from this bug, I'm happy to see that deleting the Internet Plugins folder fixed the issue for me.

I'm also trying the recommended RC to see the difference! Thanks for the tip.

Ha, I was too optimistic! 3.7.4 still has the issue. It's just that without any Internet Plugins, it takes much, much longer to appear. When it does, however, it's as bad as before — making chat, IM, group chat unusable. Relogging will somehow "reset" things, and even when logging back in to a busy text-chat area, it will give you more minutes of "normal" responsiveness...

It's not fun relogging every 20 minutes or so, though.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.