Lag, bad connection, gray things...

Gabriela Meiyo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm having problem with the SL (any viewer) since wednesday, when I put wi-fi at home, but my computer is still connected to internet via cable. When I enter the game, I see many gray things, items take ages to load (if they load), I have lag all the time, I can barely change a dress or go to another land. I've cleared my cache, I reset my avatar, reinstalled the viewer (even with previous versions), installed the official viewer, and nothing works. My internet is 10mb, wifi own password, and I have not the slightest idea why I am having this problem.

(The only thing I changed was the modem, which previously had cable internet, and now with another modem is via cable and wireless)

It would be some setting on my modem or something? Anyone can help me?

Gabriela Meiyo wrote:

I'm having problem with the SL (
any viewer
) since wednesday, when I put wi-fi at home, but my computer is still connected to internet via cable. When I enter the game, I see many gray things, items take ages to load (if they load), I have lag all the time, I can barely change a dress or go to another land. I've cleared my cache, I reset my avatar, reinstalled the viewer (even with previous versions), installed the official viewer, and nothing works. My internet is 10mb, wifi own password, and I have not the slightest idea why I am having this problem.

(The
only
thing I changed was the modem, which previously had cable internet, and now with another modem is via cable and wireless)

It would be some setting on my modem or something?
Anyone can
 help me?

It sounds like your new modem doesn't handle the large number of simultanous connections a Second Life viewer makes well. This is the link to a new viewer that tries to reduce the number of connections and also improve other communications issues - it might help:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.6.14.285253

Just to narrow possible causes, go to your router's configuration and temporarily disable wifi... see if that has a positive effect -if it does, sounds as if you might want to change your wifi's password before enabling it again. If not, what is your maximum bandwidth setting in your SL viewer? Most still use 500 kbps. as default, which is way too low for most modern connections and has, among others, the effect you're experiencing. For your kind of connection I think 1500 kbps. would be a much better setting.

Failing that, I'd take a look at your router's NAT (Network Address Translation) functions, also commonly labelled as 'Port forwarding', to explicitly tell your router that your computer (whose local IP may be something like 192.168.1.X) wants a certain port (I think it's 13000, you can check that in your viewer's preferences, same Network tab as the maximum bandwidth setting) to be open for connections; you may have to refer to your router's help documents for that, since it's a more advanced operation than just disabling/enabling wifi or changing its password.

I havent used the wifi and as I said, my computer is connected via cable and I'm finding it strange because I was in a crowded place (gol club), and I didnt disconnected, I just see the gray people and I'm not having trouble walking...

I already use the maximum bandwidth in 3000kbps :/

There are a number of possible problems. Details of your ISP, speeds, gateway and router brands and models would help.

In general you can test your connection to SL, not the same things as a good internet connection, using this information: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/ 

You also may want to download the HTTP RC Viewer on the 'Beta Viewer' page. You can find a link on the main SL download page. The HTTP RC viewer should be easuer on your router.

Place a password on your wireless connections. Otherwise nearby mobile devices may attempt to use them for a connection. Make it a strong password. I have an app in my phone that breaks weak passwords in a couple of minutes.

I cant see the site :/

I look at who is connected to my wifi network and this only my celphone (when I leave, I've tried to use the game without any device is connected to wifi and still the same thing)
I've also downloaded a new version of the official viewer who claimed to be lighter, but nothing changed.

52abb66c8374dcd325276c2d87a296be.png

Gabriella,

I'vee been ahving all kinds of trouble similar to yours the past few days without having made any changes to my connections. Coming in as a clpoud everyone gray, TP attempts not completing and logging me out, etc. I think this is something about the damn SL viewer "upgrade" -as usual, can't leave what is working well alone and ahve to screw things up. Great job LL!!!

Ami

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.