Issues with SL

nahladahl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So ever since last night I've been incredibly annoyed with SL because no matter what I do, I can't seem to get my avatar to load properly. I go from being a smoke ball to being a gray avatar whose textures don't load and neither does anything in my inventory when I try to attach it. I've done a character test, character rebake thing, changing to a starter avi, taking off everything I'm wearing, changing my DNS, going into the debug settings to do that characterunloading thing,clearing my cache, restarting my internet multiples times and I'm still getting nowhere. I've been jumping between the Firestorm viewer and Singularity. 

mew mew ma mew pew :matte-motes-asleep:

I had the same problem yesterday, its not your connect, computer, its SL.

Heres what i did, and i luckily i was restored.  Most likely only one of these things actually did it, but with SL you have to hammer it until it submits to your will haha.

First i went to a new sim that i knew had consistent performance, as th eone i had was having littl glitchy issues all week.

Then i did a rebake a gabillion times, i did a Texture Refresh a few more gabillion times. I detached everything over and over and relogged.  I did the Test Male/Female a few times.Things were not detached after a relog.  I logged in a long lost alt, and verified it was not me, as i could see her and she could see me in all my newby Test Female glory :)  Oh i did clear cache after i tp to my better sim.

So i went to http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/phoenix:bake_fail?s[]=bake&s[]=fail and tried a few things in there steps.

I changed Groups, i put on a different hair base, i did the character test again, and poof, omg, i appeared.

So, it was painfull, and who knows, maybe linden servers decided to listen to one of my many requests and i got lucky.

It appears SL is having some stability issues this weekend.

Always check the Grid Status page when you have an issue...

[uPDATE] Scheduled Maintenance

Posted by Status Desk on November 17th, 2014 at 07:12 am PST

[updated 7:12 AM PST, 17 November 2014] The scheduled maintenance is now in progress.

[Posted 10:00 AM PST, 14 November 2014] Beginning Monday, November 17, we will be undertaking a full week of scheduled maintenance.  This maintenance will take place at approximately 7:00 AM each day next week. Each region will be subject to one or more restarts, as its host takes its turn for inspection.  A five-minute warning will be broadcast for each restarting region. Additional warnings will be broadcast to regions where multiple restarts are necessary. Please be cautious about going AFK for extended periods in the middle of build sessions or handling no-copy objects, as you may miss the shutdown warnings. Please keep an eye on this blog for further updates.

The problems you list are common of a poor connection to the SL Servers. Since the Lab is restarting servers to allow hardware replacement this week, the problem is likely on their side of things.

You can figure out if you have a problem, your ISP, someone inbetween, or the Lab. Rin thorught the steps outlined here: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Whenever you ask for technical help, include your computer information. Use the viewer's Help->About... to get the hardware and driver information and include it in your post. You can do this after the viewer starts and before or after login. Without the driver versions and hardware configuration all we can do is guess at what may cause the problem.

So I'm trying those things right now listed in the link. Here's the information needed :

CPU: Intel® Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (2500 MHz)
Memory: 4096 MB
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.5 Darwin 12.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 12.5.0: Sun Sep 29 13:33:47 PDT 2013; root:xnu-2050.48.12~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel Inc.
Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engin

And thank you for your help.

nahladahl wrote:

So I tried trouble shooting but I honestly have no idea how to tell if the numbers are bad from my current location to San Fran and I kind of got lost with the information halfway through. I've changed my DNS. And so far I still cannot see mesh.

No matter what viewer you use, THIS page has very good info. Doing a speedtest to San Fran will tell you nothing as the servers are in Tuscon AZ.

Are you running a macbook?

I did everything on that list before but I figured it wouldn't hurt to do it again so I did and I still cannot see mesh.

I can see that I have the mesh attached in the inventory, it just refuses to show up on my avata if that helps explain the problem more.

Is it only worn rigged mesh you cannot see or is all mesh rezzed inworld invisible also?

If you go into Preferences -> Graphics and untick "Hardware skinning", can you see the mesh?

Is the mesh invisible on all regions or just a certain region?

Can you see mesh on the official Linden Lab viewer? Download that from here to test: https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/

Are you connected to SL over a cellular network?

If mesh is invisible on all regions and also invisible on the LL viewer, its worth filing a JIRA issue including your log files

All mesh inworld is invisible as well.

I hardly ever have hardware skinning checked so I know thats not the issue even though I have repeatedly checked it and unchecked it to see if that'll get the mesh to show up.

Mesh is invisible on all regions.

I cannot see mesh on the official LL viewer. In fact on that viewer, my avi is just a smokeball.

And I have no idea if I'm connected on a cellular network. I use ethernet that's connected to a Clearwire modem.

I've also logged onto my alts and have the same issue on those accounts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.