Is this a good laptop for SL

JenniferGia77

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi.

Looking to purchase a laptop for SL and games. This is what I have been looking at. I want to keep the price around $1000. I am not concerned about ultra performane, just smooth fluid movements and quick loading. I am not a computer person so please be easy on me.

I was thinking of the Alienware M14x since I would be playing games on it.

• 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3210M (3MB Cache, up to 3.1GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
  • Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
  • 14.0" High Def (720p/1366x768) with WLED backlight
  • 6GB3  DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
  • 500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s
  • Slot Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW)
  • 1 GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M with Optimus™

I prefer a laptop due to the portability. I am not looking for ultimate graphics, just medium to high.

Thanks.  

The Nvidia 650m will  work fine in sl....should be able to use high or perhaps even ultra mode.

Dont be suprised if viewer says the video card is not compatible or not recognized. on the first launch..:))   Just ignore that

and go to viewer  tab ..... Edit........preferences........Graphics   and set Quality/performance to  high or Ultra.

Yes a bigger display  is better for Sl   but   if you need a small lap top for other reasons  its your choice.

Have fun :)

dd

The choices for video are ATI, NVIDIA, and the Intel built-in HD graphics. The HD Graphics is inadequate. ATI has weak support for OpenGL, which SL uses. NVIDIA is generally considered the best possible.

With the small screen and a 650 card you should be able to run on ULTRA and get good frame rates.

You need to manually go in and set the graphics card for SL when you install SL. In the nVidia Control Panel you have a choice to run  in Power Save or Performance. Set it to use performance.

Many laptops will force power save mode on and disable the graphics card (chip in laptops) to save power, UNLESS you use wall power. So, if you have performance issues, check the nVidia settings.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.