In General: What Laptop Is Better?

Daisonia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314178

Try that one, Especially since you're posting this on SL form I am assuming you're getting it for SL

That one comes with 2gb dedicated graphics memory (Decent card) and 6gigs RAM, Upgradeable to 12gigs. 500HDD and a slot for another HDD.. I5 but upgradeable as well. Its a steal for the price.

Neither of the computers you posted came with a graphics card, have fun with those on-board graphics xD

Malarwen Hall wrote:

For SL definitely the HP Envy -  it has 2Gb of dedicated graphics card memory.

If you want it just for browsing the internet and FB then the cheaper one will do just fine.

Thats only upgradeable or optional, It is NOT included in the price

btw the envy has dedicated memory NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory Personally, I prefer Sony Vaio but mostly because it's small and portable...I do like HP though - both of my HPs are still working..one I got in 2007 and the other one in 2010. Both got 8 plus hours of SL a day for years on them (used to work in SL as my RL job).

Malarwen Hall wrote:

btw the envy has dedicated memory NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory Personally, I prefer Sony Vaio but mostly because it's small and portable...I do like HP though - both of my HPs are still working..one I got in 2007 and the other one in 2010. Both got 8 plus hours of SL a day for years on them (used to work in SL as my RL job).

"Base, upgrade, and optional components, accessories, and software are listed. Upgrade and option choices may affect final price.

Available at starting price

Upgrade or optional"

The envy does not come with that graphics card, It is not bolded.

Malarwen Hall wrote:

The envy does not come with that graphics card, It is not bolded.

Most computers come with extra dedicated memory as an upgrade. Her question was not about money.

The specific pavillion she posted did not even have that option.

I don't know about you, but when I look at which computer is better, I usually take the price into consideration. Then again, I am a moose, I don't even speak engraaaawwwwwwwkk

Not a very nice gpu in the one you posted:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M

The NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M is an entry-level, DirectX 11 compatible graphics card that has been announced in spring 2013. Its core is based on the 28nm GF117 chip (Fermi architecture) with 64-bit DDR3 memory. Compared to the 710M, the GT 720M is clocked slightly higher.

Architecture

The GF117 is based on the optimized GF108 Fermi chip (GeForce GT 540M) and offers 96 shaders, 16 TMUs and 4 ROPs. Each shader core is clocked twice as fast as the rest of the graphics chip, a technique known as hot clocking. More detailed information on Fermi can be found on the GT 435M GPU page.

It should be noted that the GF117 does not offer dedicated graphic ports and can therefore only be used in conjunction with Optimus. 

The GT 720M supports GPU Boost 2.0, which can automatically overclock the card if the laptop cooling system allows it. This feature is available on any notebook with a graphics card of the 700M series.

Performance

Depending on the clock rates, the 3D performance of the GeForce GT 720M is somewhat above the old GT 620M, but clearly below the GT 630M in most cases. This is due to the 64 bit memory interface, which limits the performance noticeably. In comparison to the competition, the 720M offers a performance similar to the HD Graphics 4400/4600 or Radeon HD 8570M. Overall, the card is placed in the lower performance segment. Current games (as of 2013) will run fluently only in low settings.

Features

The shader cores (also called CUDA cores) can be used for general calculations with APIs such as CUDA, DirectCompute 2.1 and OpenCL. PhysX is theoretically possible, but the GT 720M is too slow to handle both PhysX and 3D rendering in modern games. 3D Vision is not supported according to Nvidia.

Power consumption

The power consumption of the Geforce GT 720M should be relativly high (approximately 25 W), according to the high clock rates. As a result, the GPU is best suited for notebooks 14-15 inches in size or greater.

Greetings,

The  2 HP notebook PCs you listed will not work for SL as is.

If you add  the  Nivida GT740 graphics OPTION  to the HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)

then It can work for SL but will NOT  be able to use Ultra Mode graphics  and maintain good FPS. however the price has now jumped to $785   not including shipping. (if that applies).

also later upgrades are not possible with Notebook pcs.

Win 8 can sometimes have graphic driver issues in SL.

Suggestions: Get a real laptop with dedicated Nvidia graphics of TI550,650,750 series or higher and ask for Win 7 operating system  and 8 gb ram. I5  or i7 Intel 4th generation processor .

Desktop is always better for SL actually  because using SL will  generate a lot of heat in a lap top pc and because desktops are less expensive  and  easily upgraded.

Good luck finding something that works well for SL :)

I just want to throw in my vote of disagreement on the HP laptop comment. I've owned both HP and Toshiba and HP is much, much superior IMO. I recently had a similar decision in purchasing a new laptop for SL. I read all sorts of reviews and spec numbers, and finally purchased a Toshiba laptop, 4th generation i7 processor with 8 gb of ram, and INtel 4600 graphics (built into the motherboard.) I was not at all impressed, and after 2 weeks the laptop died completely. Now in fairness maybe there was a technical problem that had the laptop perform at less than its capacity, but all I know is it died 14 days after I purchased it--and (for me anyway) it was expensive. I purchased a Toshiba laptop two years ago, it never ran SL well and never really impressed me, so my negative view on Toshiba is based on those 2 instances--the only time I owned their laptops.

I ended uo purchasing a AMD Quad core A8 laptop from HP with Radeon graphics (8510 I think) 6 gb of ram. It runs SL like a charm. I was getting a very smooth image on high settings right off the bat--and the kicker was this laptop only cost $400 (half the price of the Toshiba) I run SL fairly decent with my old laptop, another HP with an i3 and Intel 3000 graphics. It doesnt run as well as the new HP, but still works fine and its got a few years on it.

Price, IMO, isn't the main factor. The GPU is most important, and most laptops dont have videocards. You could get a high end laptop, but I think the one i ended up with is perfect. Its not expensive, and i'm able to run SL in high settings at a very smooth rate.

Im going to get the $400 I saved and apply it to a new desktop, which would be the best option anyway to run SL.

• 1 month later...

Please help

I am required to buy an HP laptop through company policy requirements

Is the HP ENVY 17t-j100 Quad Edition Notebook PC the best PC to run and script in Second Life? I am asking since the specs I am forced to consider are as follows and I am not sure it will meet the highest standards to script program and immerse completely in a SVW such as Second Life:

450G1

i7

8 GB 

1 TB

Win 7 Pro 64

Dwngr win 8 Pro

Garphics card  512MB - STANDARD ON BOARD?

HendaThomas wrote:

Please help

I am required to buy an HP laptop through company policy requirements

Is the 
HP ENVY 17t-j100 Quad Edition Notebook PC the best PC to run and script in Second Life? I am asking since the specs 
I am forced to consider are as follows and I am not sure it will meet the highest standards to script program and immerse completely in a SVW such as Second Life:

450G1

i7

8 GB 

1 TB

Win 7 Pro 64

Dwngr win 8 Pro

Graphics card  512MB - STANDARD ON BOARD?

If your work is buying it for you, I am going to assume it is for work. I would not be using a company paid for computer for SL. Anything on that computer is property of your company. They may frown upon using a program like SL with everything that is associated with it. Not to mention the heavy wear and tear it will put on the graphics card.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.