How do you see who's camming on you?

Bell Lectar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3362 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

in the advanced debug/devolp menus there is an option to "show look at cross hairs"... this will show you when other are focus on you, the color of the crosshairs shows the action they are taking... a few TPV's make this setting easier to find, and add a hover name above the cross hairs to identify who they belong to (Phoenix is the most well known example)

A pleasant vanity feature, I'd think, but quite a drama trigger for some people.
You'd think they'd be flattered by the attention, but cam into the wrong face across a crowded room and you'll find avatar beauty can be skin deep. A snarling IM will tell you just how thin that skin can be.
You can perv on me with impunity. I don't have the Phoenix viewer.

ETA: Oh, thanks, Void, guess I can spot those upskirters after all ... :)

Hello Bell. If you use the official LL Viewer 2 or 3 and assuming that you have the option enabled under Menu Develop --> Avatar --> Show look up, you see pink crosshairs on your avatar but you don't know who watches you. In Phoenix you know because you see the name of the avatar over the pink crosshairs. However in Phoenix there is also an option under your Preferences --> Phoenix --> Shield --> Broadcast camera focus point, where if you disable it, other avatars can't understand the direction you are looking.

Astringofcharacters wrote:

A pleasant vanity feature, I'd think, but quite a drama trigger for some people.

You'd think they'd be flattered by the attention, but cam into the wrong face across a crowded room and you'll find avatar beauty can be skin deep. A snarling IM will tell you just how thin that skin can be.

You can perv on me with impunity. I don't have the Phoenix viewer.

It's also trivial to get around. Show look at only tells you where the person's camera is focused at, so you can focus on anything and then alt cam over to the person and they'll never know. Which makes this Phoenix feature doubly worthless.

leliel Mirihi wrote:

It's also trivial to get around. Show look at only tells you where the person's camera is focused at, so you can focus on anything and then alt cam over to the person and they'll never know. Which makes this
Phoenix
[viewer]
feature doubly worthless.

(emphasis mine)

If your goal is to catch people looking at you... sure. Assuming, also, that the person looking knows that or cares.

Void Singer wrote:

leliel Mirihi wrote:

It's also trivial to get around. Show look at only tells you where the person's camera is focused at, so you can focus on anything and then alt cam over to the person and they'll never know. Which makes this
Phoenix
[viewer]
feature doubly worthless.

(emphasis mine)

If
your goal is to catch people looking at you... sure. Assuming, also, that the person looking knows that or cares.

I suppose I should have said Emerald instead of Phoenix but the point still stands. In the official viewer the option is hidden in the debug/advanced/develop menu because that's all it was intended for, debugging the camera view. It was the TPVs that elevated it into more of a feature than it really is.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

stays  a silly option to use that,  why people arnt allwed to look at you? if you dont want they  see you  than better stay  home in youre skybox, lol  i always looking at people, but not because im intrested in the person but in the creations,  some spend  thousends lindens to get the look they  prefer and than they start moaning when you  look at them  , foolish option  if you ask me , better not use it  and be proud  youre intrested enough  to  look at  ;)

Yes , thats how it supose to be, sadly their seems to be people that  intimidate you  with  be rude and suggesting you watch to the breast of them girlfriend ( even when zommed out fully,  maby sadly enough  you did hit the girl when  moving the cam around ), proberly its like real  life,  people think they  rule with big mouths , if im  no thappy  with people around me how they act or  react, its so easy to  mute them, more fun than  as start argus , and thats  mostly in so called formal  clubs , people that supose to  be to have the right manners :).

And youre total right, be proud people look at you :)

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3362 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.