How come ... ??

JeanneAnne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4207 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

so yesterday i went to login2 SL w/ Firestorm version 4.2.2 (29837) & i got this message:

"Could not connect to the server. The certificate returned by the Grid appears to have expired. Please check your system clock ..." followed by some gobbledy **bleep** ..

so WTF ?!? there was nothing wrong w/ my system clock .. so i was going to ask on here what this was all about but doing a clean reinstall fixed it :)  .. so anyway ..

last nite .. since i couldnt login w/ Firestorm i logged in w/ the LL viewer 3 .. my sister was DJing so i wanted to look nice so i took off the plaid blouse id been wearing & put on a nice black mesh dress .. since it was early i went to another dance club before her gig began .. there i was IMed by a couple friends saying i looked funny .. they said my skin was sticking thru the dress & they couldnt see my feet .. the dress had an alpha layer so my skin shoulduv been invisible & shouldnt show thru .. i looked absolutely fine in my own viewer .. so i just thot maybe these ppl didnt have a mesh enabled viewer

so then when it was time for my sister to start i TPed to where she was DJ & we had great fun !! but she also said i looked weird .. & she definitely had a mesh enabled viewer .. like we usually do both she & i took pics & posted them to FB this morning .. i looked fine in the pics i took but was shocked by how i looked in her pics !! in her pics i was still wearing the blouse id taken off under the mesh dress .. there was no alpha layer & my bits were sticking thru the mesh !! & my mesh feet were invisible !!

so how come i looked so different depending on the viewer .. both of which were mesh viewers ?? how could a blouse id detached from myself still show on one viewer but not on another ?? how come an alpha layer worked on one viewer but not on another ?? & how come my mesh feet were visible w/ one mesh enabled viewer but not on the other one ??

why is SL so dam quirky like this ?!?!?  why dont they fix it ?!?!

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

Jeanne

Because people want to be able to use the system for free (sorry, couldn't help it.)

Real answer - Avatar rendering, etc. is largely handled by the viewer, which "bakes" your avatar and sends the information to the servers. Information on what you're wearing is also saved in your viewer on your machine, which then sends the information to the server to give it information for other people to see. If you switch from one viewer to another and were wearing different outfits in each the information on what you're wearing in the servers can get out-of-date and other people will see you wearing half of the outfit from from one viewer and half from the other. Your viewer keeps track of what you're wearing separately so what you see in your viewer may be different.

They're currently working on completely re-doing the way avatars are drawn to get around this, with separate servers to render avatars rather than relying on people's viewers. I just sent Nyx Linden a bunch of outffits to test the new system.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

Jeanne

Because people want to be able to use the system for free (sorry, couldn't help it.)

Real answer - Avatar rendering, etc. is largely handled by the viewer, which "bakes" your avatar and sends the information to the servers. Information on what you're wearing is also saved in your viewer on your machine, which then sends the information to the server to give it information for other people to see. If you switch from one viewer to another and were wearing different outfits in each the information on what you're wearing in the servers can get out-of-date and other people will see you wearing half of the outfit from from one viewer and half from the other. Your viewer keeps track of what you're wearing separately so what you see in your viewer may be different.

They're currently working on completely re-doing the way avatars are drawn to get around this, with separate servers to render avatars rather than relying on people's viewers. I just sent Nyx Linden a bunch of outffits to test the new system.

LoL

Thanks Theresa .. that explains it!  im glad to have Firestorm back .. even tho i will hav2 redo all my settings .. Thanks again!

Jeanne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4207 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.