Help: Unsolvable Viewer Issues

MarekDvoraka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro and I've been RPing with the default viewer for nearly a year. I switched over to the Singularity viewer two months ago due to the default becoming entirely unusable - if it didn't crash immediately, nothing would rez, it took nearly 6 minutes to type a single sentence, and the lag was unbearable. I tried everything to fix that, but to no avail. In any case, with Singularity, I have experienced negligible issues (mainly lagginess and minimal freezing) up until about two weeks ago. 

Now, when I log on, I can't control my character's motion (it spins in circles uncontrollably any time I move forward) and I've been entirely unable to successfully click on any object (for example, rosters to "clock in" at work, group invitation/ sim registration posters at entry points, etc.). I tried clearing the cache, rebaking, uninstalling/reinstalling, making sure no other applications are running simultaneously, and nothing is working. I tried using alternative viewers (Phoenix, Firestorm, RLV, and all other third-party viewers compatible with Macs) and re-experienced the initial issues that I had with the default viewer.

I dearly miss playing and any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

Singularity Viewer 1.8.5 (5617) Jan 29 2014 01:54:23 (Singularity)
Release Notes

Grid: Second Life

Built with GCC version 40201

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz (2400 MHz)
Memory: 4096 MB
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 Darwin 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M OpenGL Engine
OpenGL Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-1.6.36

Viewer SSE Version: SSE2
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/1.0.0g zlib/1.2.3 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.5.2
Audio Driver Version: (none)
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

It also helps to know if you are using a laptop or a desktop and a wired or wireless connection.

Without that information all we can do is guess. That means you have to try all our bad guesses and eliminate them one by one. This is easier for all of us, if you give us good information to start with.

Also what have you tried doing to fix it?

Have you checked for a stuck key?

Have you returned all viewer settings to there defaults? Rename or delete the Setting.xml file... I have no idea where it is on the Mac, but that info is in the wiki.

Have you tried a new version of the SL Viewer in the last couple of weeks? Things change pretty fast and more Mac fixes are being added all the time. The slow typing thing on Mac's is a particularly annoying known bug.

I've gone ahead and added the viewer info to the original post. Thanks!

As I mentioned before, I'm using a Macbook Pro (which is a laptop) and I've tried clearing the cache, rebaking, uninstalling/reinstalling, and making sure no other applications are running simultaneously. I've tried every other third-party viewer compatible for Macs that I could find and nothing has worked.

To answer your other questions, I use a wireless connection and there aren't any stuck keys. I've tried returning the settings to default even though I've never changed them and that didn't seem to help either. 

MarekDvoraka wrote:

I've gone ahead and added the viewer info to the original post. Thanks!

As I mentioned before, I'm using a Macbook Pro (which is a laptop) and I've tried clearing the cache, rebaking, uninstalling/reinstalling, and making sure no other applications are running simultaneously. I've tried every other third-party viewer compatible for Macs that I could find and nothing has worked.

To answer your other questions, I use a wireless connection and there aren't any stuck keys. I've tried returning the settings to default even though I've never changed them and that didn't seem to help either. 

I see you're using Snow Leopard which is the oldest version of OSX that current SL viewers support (and they're probably going to drop support for it soon.) Update to the most recent version of OSX you can - with Macs the video drivers are written into the OS so an old operating system means old drivers.

Also there are a number of problems with Mac keyboard shortcuts currently because Macs handle keyboard input differently than Windows and Linux machines. If you have a choice between using the "Command" or the "Control" key for any given shortcut try using the opposite one from what you're using now.

Thanks for the help! I've spent the day updating my OS X and I'll post the new viewer info below.

I've attempted to play while using the default Mac viewer as well as Firestorm, Phoenix, RLV, and all of the other 3rd party viewers again today and nothing seems to have changed at all. if anything, things seem significantly more laggy and crash-prone than before. I've also re-downloaded Singularity (which still seems to be the only somewhat-functional viewer for me) and I still can't successfully click on any  of the aforementioned items in-world. The uncontrollable spinning seems to have stopped, but in its place, choppy and laggy character movement. Blah. Any ideas?

Singularity Viewer 1.8.5 (5617) Jan 29 2014 01:54:23 (Singularity)
Release Notes

Grid: Second Life

Built with GCC version 40201

CPU: Intel® Core i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz (2400 MHz)
Memory: 4096 MB
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9.4 Darwin 13.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.3.0: Tue Jun 3 21:27:35 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2422.110.17~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M OpenGL Engine
OpenGL Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.24.15 310.90.9.05f01

Viewer SSE Version: SSE2
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/1.0.0g zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.5.2
Audio Driver Version: (none)
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.