Graphic Card not recognized [NVIDIA GeForce GT 705]

Zac UwU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hiya,

I just received my new desktop a day ago and the first thing I did was install SL ofc.. As soon as I opened the viewer I got a warning popup about my graphicscard not being recognized. So I was like w/e and continued, but it had blocked (grayed) out options in graphic settings in the viewer. I took a gayzo screenshot of the preferences window in both SL and FS viewer..
Second Life (latest): http://gyazo.com/3d7e5b16464cd6c9ec964daf5c83b29e
Firestorm (latest): http://gyazo.com/03f2f7a72258cf6952813381db38175d

I tried SL, FS, CtrlAltStudio, Black Dragon but they all give me the same problems. The only viewer that does work with my graphicscard so far is Singularity. Can anyone help me solve this? I've filed a jira at FS.

Desktop stats: http://gyazo.com/2758415b2ea2ac10e550189d2b2112eb (sorry for the Dutch, if you need it translated let me know).

Thank you,
Zac.

So you have a new PC. Have you updated this PC to the latest drivers, checked for patches and updates from the suppliers of your operating system and hardware? Have you checked that the drivers supplied with your PC work?

A PC is not 'ready' just because it is new. You will need to make sure it's correctly configured and capable of meeting the operating requirements of Second Life.

Without driver/operating environment information about your machine, no further help is possible.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I've checked updates, Dell.com said the drivers were updated. I went to nvidia and did a check and they said the same, drivers were updated and fine. I did download and install the software just to make sure and all that... I know a new computer doesn't mean it's ready.

My drivers do work fine, I tried Singularity and that one works fine on high graphics. It's just all the newer viewers that don't recognize it somehow and gray out the graphic settings in preferences.

Okie dokee. Thanks for checking the easy stuff - it's necessary to be clear in cases where small things may have been overlooked. I was struggling to understand why you filed a JIRA when this behaviour seems to be deliberate and acceptable.

You may be enable the greyed out features in Preferences by using Advanced > Show Debug Settings and then setting: ProbeHardwareOnStartUp to FALSE.

Unpredictable results will occur as a result of doing this. Performance, quality and hardware lifespan may suffer exponentially by attempting to enable features your card isn't designed to support.

The 705 is not a very capable card, it will almost certainly struggle with the full capabilities of Second Life.

Zac Remex wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I've checked updates, Dell.com said the drivers were updated. I went to nvidia and did a check and they said the same, drivers were updated and fine. I did download and install the software just to make sure and all that... I know a new computer doesn't mean it's ready.

My drivers do work fine, I tried 
Singularity and that one works fine on high graphics. It's just all the newer viewers that don't recognize it somehow and gray out the graphic settings in preferences.

I'm not sure you can run that card on high graphics. Are all the extra fields greyed out in the Singularity viewer like the others? JUst because the slider is set to ultra, doesn't mean it actually is. With all those blocks greyed out, you aren't even getting mid.

Just because it's the newest card doesn't mean its actually a high end one.. MY GT 650 performs better than that card ever will. the first number is the release series, the other two are the actual guts of the card.. The higher the better. Apparently my wifes old Gforce 9800 card is better than the 705.. You might want to upgrade that card..

You might want to upgrade that card..

And here exactly lies the crux with that plan:

as long as clueless consumers won't stop trusting big brand names like Dell, they won't get good deals and almost always end up disappointed. In the case of OP's computer it's quite obvious what happened. Dell made a big deal about the Dedicated Nvidia graphics card, luring in undistinctive sheeples. That Nvidia card won't hardly be any better than Intel's onboard chips, if at all. And likewise they failed to mention the PSU in the PC would be too weak to even power a better GPU. I didn't research that specific machine but am I somehow correct? Just because a computer comes in a big case doesn't make it a monster gaming rig. And this one specifically falls clearly in the office warrior category. OP should give it to his granny and get something decent for himself.

@Freya Thank you, the JIRA for FS is because it was suggested by a help page I found for their viewer. The ProbeHardwareOnStartUp change doesn't make any differences. 

@Drake Singularity runs perfectly fine on high graphics and I can modify anything in the graphic settings unlike the newer viewers.

I'm not looking or trying to be on ultra graphics, but it was just weird to me that half the stuff is grayed out even when sliding it over to ultra... I'd be happy with mid or high.. I'm not on SL that many hours as I used to be so I don't think I'll be upgrading the graphics card right now (which of course could change in the future lol).

Again thanks for the replies!

@Orca I didn't see your post until I replied lol, sorry. I think you have a point there, I'm not much into pc specs and such but I do know about it and this pc has what I require for the heavy programs I use for my RL. Tho I'd like SL to run on here too. But I think in your comment you're correct and you made a good point.

There's a not very complicated procedure to update your viewer's GPU table (its list of recognized cards), described here by Madelaine McMasters. Try that but, considering the previous responses' skepticism about your card actually being powerful enough -and not just a matter of model recognition-, be sure to first make a backup copy of the .txt file you're going to modify, and keep it somewhere else, before editing the original; if the change doesn't help you, then revert the changes with that backup.

• 2 weeks later...

A GT 705. Super ultra low end graphics card that is even weaker than most integrated intel graphics and only exists because OEM manufacturers marketing departments can promote their machines would come with a dedicated Nvidia GPU.

I'd propose to get a real graphics card ( Something likea GTX ( not GT) 650, 750 or higher), even if the viewer would recognize the GT 705, you would only be able to run sl on lowest graphics settings.

J.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.