Getting Secondlife to run on Ubuntu 12.04 lts 64 bit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I installed the ia32-libs-multiarch and ia32-libs

But still get message at the end ot trying to run the viewer

---

You are running the Second Life Viewer on a x86_64 platform.  The
most common problems when launching the Viewer (particularly
'bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: not found' and 'error while
loading shared libraries') may be solved by installing your Linux
distribution's 32-bit compatibility packages.
For example, on Ubuntu and other Debian-based Linuxes you might run:
$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk ia32-libs-kde ia32-libs-sdl

--

anyhelp would be appreciated

Wolf

I use 64-bit Linux as well (Now Ubuntu 12.04). The shell script that runs the actual SL client binary, as far as I can tell, always puts that message out if it detects 64-bit Linux, whether the client actually succeeds in running or not. If the client actually comes up and runs, don't worry about the message. If, OTOH, it isn't running, please post a followup with more info about what happened. Be sure to save the output; try something like

secondlife 2>&1 | tee save.log

to start up the client. If you take the problem to the JIRA, they'll want that output.

Below is the output of that..

----------------------------

64-bit Linux detected.
Running from /home/mdkeith/SecondLife-i686-3.3.1.254524
 - Installing menu entries in /home/mdkeith/.local/share/applications
bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
*** Bad shutdown. ***

You are running the Second Life Viewer on a x86_64 platform.  The
most common problems when launching the Viewer (particularly
'bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: not found' and 'error while
loading shared libraries') may be solved by installing your Linux
distribution's 32-bit compatibility packages.
For example, on Ubuntu and other Debian-based Linuxes you might run:
$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk ia32-libs-kde ia32-libs-sdl

This is a BETA release of the Second Life linux client.
Thank you for testing!
Please see README-linux.txt before reporting problems.

-------------------

Anymore clues??

Wolf Brannan

Wolf Brannan wrote:

bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

This means that only the 64-bit version of the library "libGL.so.1" is currently installed. Second Life is still shipped as a 32-bit application, so it can only load 32-bit libraries.

libGL is the main OpenGL library, so it is specific to the graphics driver you are using. If you go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/ and search for packages containing a file named "libGL.so.1", you'll see the list of candidates. Now all you need to do is find out which of these packages are currently installed as amd64 versions only -- and then install the corresponding package for the i386 architecture. I would do this in Synaptic Package Manager, but of course you can use the command line if you prefer.

Why the missing packages were not installed by default I don't know. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on two computers this weekend, and both were perfectly capable of running SL after adding ia32-libs-multiarch.

I'm also trying to use SL in ubunty12.04 and I think this is impossible. I've doneeverything, added the 32bit libraries, updated the video, but does not solve anything,when I try logging starts to load, download clothes, downlaod the world, at the very end the computer restarts. Until last week the SL worked perfectly in Ubuntu11.10. I think the only solution is the launch of the SL 64bit.

Uncontrolled system restarts usually point at very serious driver bugs or even hardware malfunction. There is just no other way for a non-root process on Linux to trigger a full restart by accident.

In your case it is most certainly a driver bug, because you say it worked perfectly on Ubuntu 11.10. What are your hardware specs? I guess you are not using Nvidia, are you?

Arnaldo23 wrote:

No, is only a graphic of intel, on board.

In that case it's a miracle you had SL running on Ubuntu 11.10. Check out the system requirements.

One of my computers is a laptop with both Intel and Nvidia graphics (Optimus). If I don't assign the SL viewer to the Nvidia card, it won't run at all. And that was in no way different under Ubuntu 11.10.

I am a complete idiot on computers, but SL runs on my Ubuntu 12.04, which is installed as of last week on a 3 year old machine (Toshiba satellite) originally installed with Vista.  I tried "run in terminal" on the executable, which in former releases would be the kiss of death.  However for this version, it's the only way to make it work.  I can't explain how or why, don't know anything about computers, but it works for me. 

• 4 weeks later...

I made it work on Ubuntu 12.04, all you have to do is install a few libraries -

Open shell and type:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch

sudo apt-get install i386 lib32gcc1

sudo apt-get install libc6-i386

This will install all the libraries you are missing

• 1 month later...

are you asking if 32 bit libs should automatically be installed on a ....64bit build?

"apt-get install"....is your friend

I am installing both SL and open sim on a Ubuntu 12.04LTS Server as I respond here...book marking this thread, will comeback with any work-arounds if I hit roadblocks.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, funny how things just work on some systems and won't on others. I have added every single package mentioned in this thread and every other linux thread I can find wrt running 32-bit programs in 64-bit install, and still have the same error message listed earlier in this thread. I really really hate to go back to 32-bit distro to get this one app to run.  :(

• 3 weeks later...

I had several viewers and other 32 bit apps installed on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 and they all ran fine. Until I ran the upgrade to 12.04 64. Now none of my previously installed 32 bit apps run and 32 bit apps can't be installed.

Running the command "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch" yields a rsult of "The following packages have unmet dependencies:  ia32-libs-multiarch:i386 : Depends: libcurl3:i386 but it is not going to be installed E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

Attempting to add libcurl3:i386 via apt-get yields more unmet dependencies, and they yield yet more unmet dependencies, and on and on.

Is there a depository I'm missing that none of the How-To's have mentioned?

I agree with the previous post that the 64 bit versions of Ubuntu should have 32 bit compatibility by default, like other distros do (and OS X and Win7).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Worked like a charm. Thank you; I've posted to my blog linking to this thread.

Since I can't post a comment on the JIRA entry, I'll say simply that this gets rid of the issue that makes a 64-bit Linux build necessary, i.e. no streaming media, though I do wish they'd go ahead and do one for efficiency's sake and so people new to Linux don't give up; with a 64-bit version (and yes, people are now recommending that those wishing to use Linux install a 64-bit version if their processor supports it) it will Just Work.

Thanks again; I'm in your debt.

Caerolle Llewellyn wrote:

Wow, funny how things just work on some systems and won't on others. I have added every single package mentioned in this thread and every other linux thread I can find wrt running 32-bit programs in 64-bit install, and still have the same error message listed earlier in this thread. I really really hate to go back to 32-bit distro to get this one app to run.  
:(

So just use a 64 bit viever, There are Kokua and Singularity available in 64 bit,no need to fiddle around with 32 bit viewers,  additional libs and missing functionality anymore.

J.

• 1 month later...

I followed these instructions however on the second command lin;

sudo apt-get install i386 lib32gcc1

I get the message unsable to locate package i386

The previous command line appeared to work ok, though I am not a expert on Linux,,,,,, I installed Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit and have not been able to get Second Life to function as yet.  so I was installing per the commands you listed the 32 bit libraries.

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.