FIRESTORM

SuzettaLatonya

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want to know what the settings are to make Firestorm  faster and still have good graphics.  I messed with the quality and performance slider and i put it between low and mid and it seem to speed it up and everything still looks good. Are there any other settings to make the experience better? Thanks!

It's really a matter of finding a balance between performance and quality, taking into consideration not only your hardware's capabilities but also your personal preferences (only you know what you would consider 'good enough' graphics). Now, the general performance/quality slider slider you've messed with is really nothing more than a series of presets of all the specific settings you can adjust below (plus several others not shown there, but accessible through the less intuitive Debug Settings function); so if you want to strike a more precise balance between performance and quality than any of those offered by that slider, you'll have to start individually adjusting each of those specific settings... again, depending on your computer's capabilities and your own preferences. As a 'testbed' of sorts, I suggest you go to a place relatively loaded with decoration and populated with avatars, so you can check whether each specific change you make still lets you operate smoothly... for example, increasing the Draw Distance, the Max. # of Non-Impostor Avatars, the Objects & Sculpts LOD... etc. Since most of those individual settings will have a relatively minor impact on performance, you'll need to have patience and test your viewer going around for a while so as to observe the effects, before going onto the next one. But after a while, you can end up with a viewer configured much more closely to your own needs ;)

For a (somewhat explained) list of all the settings and what they do, read here.

Viewer performance is very much subject to user preferences. There is specific set of settings to make things faster… well, none that can satisfy everyone. As an example: to get the best frame rate just turn your graphics settings to LOW.

Your render of SL will suck. But, the viewer will be fast.

If you don’t mind a pitiable image, you’ll be happy with the result. I wouldn’t be. I balance speed and quality. Others place much more emphasis on quality than I do and run at slow frame rates I would consider unacceptable. But, they work for photography.

To decide which settings you you can turn down to pick up speed and keep most of the quality read: http://blog.nalates.net/2010/12/17/graphics-tweaking-for-second-life/

It gets technical. But, it has most of the information you need for tweaking your viewers’ performance and getting the balance you personally find acceptable.

For a quick speed boost, whatever your graphics settings, simply reduce your draw distance.

Also, keep your viewer’s max bandwidth set 20% below your Internet connections max download speed and no greater than 1,900. Firestorm support often recommends using a setting of no more than 1,500.

Also, what works well for others, may not work well for you. Computer systems very so much and there are so many factors that affect performance you must experiement with YOUR system to find the best settings.

There are people that recommend a number of Debug Settings changes for better performance. Some of those suggestions are simply wrong. Others are way out of date. Like cache clearing; a few years back clearing the cache everyday made things faster. Now clearing the cache slows performance. Never clear the cache unless you know exactly why you are doing so and understand what it does.

Understanding what any Debug Settings does before changing it is important. In some cases changing a setting improves viewer performance but increases the load on servers. The result when more people do that is overall worse performance. In some settings, like mesh downloading, the Lindens actually apply a performance penalty from the servers to those viewers that use settings above a reasonalbe level. The server just refuses to answer the flood of demands and forces additional waits on that viewer.

Most Debug Settings are set at an optimium for the average user. Change these settings with care as most have cost for any gain.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.