Extremely Low FPS despite good video card. What can I do to fix this?

Chancellor Bayn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4242 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm running a dual ASUS EAH 4760 (512MB GDDR2, ATI) configuration, no Cross Fire at all (I had software (non-bridge) crossfire enabled but it still had this problem). Two monitors, a 19" standard LCD monitor and a 32" LCD 720p tv. The TV is primary running through HDMI off of Card 1, and the monitor is running VGA from Card 2. I've got a dual-core 2.64GHz processor and 6GB of RAM, more than enough to supposedly run SL according to their estimates, it barely uses half of the RAM. My internet is wireless broadband (WiMax if anyone knows about it), it goes from a dish at my home to a tower 7 miles away, direct LOS (you can see the tower plainly from where the dish is, no physical interference). It's 1.5Mmps max speed, averages 1.0. I k now that's slow, but according to SL's recommendations it should be sufficient. My problem, however, is no matter what video card configuration I try, and what GRAPHICS setting I try in SL, I get incredibly LOW, (between 5 and 15, averages 7) FPS. Packet loss is almost always 0, barely goes above 0.010% and ping usually hovers around the 50-60ms mark. Why do I keep having so much lag when my video cards are good enough to play Mass Effect 3 AND Skyrim on HIGH settings with no lag?

I presume you mean a 4670... and I hate to be the bearer of bad news: That card is low-end, you simply won't get good FPS off it in SL.

SL isn't like your regular games. Because all content is resident-created, it's completey un-optimized, uses **bleep**ty geometry and loads tons of textures.

About all you can try is updating the graphics drivers, reduce draw distance and see if you can somehow manage to keep it going. Alternatively, use some old viewer, they tend to have lower system requirements.

4670, correct, I mistyped and didn't notice. Sorry. I know it was low-end when I bought it (actually, it's mid-range for standard gaming, but it's an '09 card), but actually I used to get pretty good FPS with Sl, I was getting about 20 FPS with a modified High setting, Objects/Avatars/Flexies maxed, trees and terrain at lowest settings, 12 non-impostor avatars, 128m Draw Distance, 2048 max particles, etc. It was working smoothly. Until about a month ago, when it barely got 15FPS with 32m DD, mid-slider settings for Objects/Avatars/Flexies, 256 particles max, and minimum or near-minimum settings for everything else. Now even with bare minimum settings I'm barely getting above 8fps, usually hovering between 6 and 7 FPS, I -also- have my bandwidth set to the default amount, cache size pushed up to 4GB (since I have 6GB of RAM but want some free for other applications like FireFox), and my texture cache is set to the full 512MB.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4242 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.