Does LL have any intention of fixing the COCOA bug that affects Macs?

Annie Rubanis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know if Linden Labs has any intention of fixing the COCOA bug that has such an awful impact on Macs?  Apparently, the COCOA bug is some huge flaw in their code that makes SL almost unplayable because it sinks the fps so low that you can barely move or type.  I know Mac users are of less value to LL so I'm curious if anyone knows anything about this.  The Firestorm team is extremely responsive and helpful about this but they can only do so much because it's a LL based bug and flaw.

Thanks for any info on it!!

Annie Rubanis wrote:

Does anyone know if Linden Labs has any intention of fixing the COCOA bug that has such an awful impact on Macs?  Apparently, the COCOA bug is some huge flaw in their code that makes SL almost unplayable because it sinks the fps so low that you can barely move or type.  I know Mac users are of less value to LL so I'm curious if anyone knows anything about this.  The Firestorm team is extremely responsive and helpful about this but they can only do so much because it's a LL based bug and flaw.

Thanks for any info on it!!

"Cocoa" is actually a development language/environment written by Apple which they want developers to use instead of the old "Carbon" development language which the previous viewers were written under. Apple is planning on phasing out Carbon.

All versions of a viewer have largely the same code. It's very possible that Mac problems are more an issue with Apple's Cocoa environment itself - Macs aren't exactly known for their game-platform abilities. I know Electronic Arts isn't immediately suppporting Macs for The Sims 4 despite supporting them on previous releases.

There is a fix. I thought it had gone out. I remember that it is an Apple problem that affects not just the viewer but other Mac programs too. It happens when the Mac is running out of memory. So, it isn't something the Lab would fix. They are always working to fix memory leaks and those fixes will help.

Apparently FS found a work-around fix and the Lab adopted it. 

You can follow what the Lab is doing by following Inara Pey's or my blogs.

• 5 months later...

Nalates Urriah wrote:

There is a fix. I thought it had gone out. I remember that it is an Apple problem that affects not just the viewer but other Mac programs too. It happens when the Mac is running out of memory. So, it isn't something the Lab would fix. They are always working to fix memory leaks and those fixes will help.

Apparently FS found a work-around fix and the Lab adopted it. 

You can follow what the Lab is doing by following Inara Pey's or my blogs.

Running out of memory has nothing to do with it.

I am on Mavericks, as secure Email is not yet availale on Yosemit (pgp) and people report other issues as well.

I have the dearest typing lag you can imagine, even when alone in a skybox. Waiting on a frozen, quite expensive MacBook Pro for letters to appear on the screen, one per 4 seconds is no fun at all.

I did upgrade my Mac to 16 GB memoy, as there was rumor of LL, that this would help. It did cost me a fortune. No Help at all, though.

I have 3.3 GB Memory available right now, and I cant even type IM even when anlone in a skybox, with draw distance to 32 meters (no way to get it lower).

FS did not find a workaround, as FS is still heavy affected as well (I am on FS, actually). The only FS workaround is, to use a 2 year old viewer. But then you should not meet people that wear attachments that are based on liquid mesh, as you will go crazy by artefacts flashing all over your screen. Here is the FS jira about it: http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-12172

The only fair thing to do would be either to process typing separate from graphics (and that rather quick), or to just be honest and say: Mac not supported. As this bug is 2 years now, and there seems to be no actual attempt to act about it. I call that not-support, in other words, you don't support Mac, so just be honest and name that. You already said, its not something the Lab would fix.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.