Chat delay and clothing delay

LouiseDeBlois

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all, I have for the past 3 days been having an issue with chatting, within group IM's it works fine, but outside of IM's or Group IM's i have delay when entering words now and again.

When I post something for example, 80% of the time it comes out right away, then sometimes it will take around 10-20 secs until it finally gets said.

Also with my clothing, sometimes it takes forever to detach something, or multiple attempts at that.

I have tested my router, and it is working correctly with no fluxuations. 

Same here, today is the third day that its almost impossible to build as well; rezzing a prim takes ages and when moving/resizing it just pops back into its original place, very frustrating and tiring when trying to build. Having a 50mb up/download connection so i doubt its that and its not just happening in my sim, it seems to be like that everywhere. Glad to see im not the only one though, goodluck! 

Maybe it is SL as has been suggested although I haven't experienced any issues with inventory or chat lag over the past few days. Anyway, you can run some simple checks yourself. First, check your Statistics Bar for high Ping Sim time (latency) or Packet Loss. Press Ctrl+Shift+1 for quick access. An explanation of what Ping Sim and Packet Loss are can be found here http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewerhelp:Statistics 

If your Ping time is over 250ms, you are likely to experience issues, same if your Packet Loss is above 0% on a steady basis. I have a Ping time of about 180ms from Ireland, those living in the US are probably seeing 60ms or less depending on how close to San Francisco they are. Occasionally, I see my Ping time rise alarmingly, causing issues for me in SL, which is invariably a problem caused by my ISP and a phone call resolves it. On occasions, I experience chat lag as you are seeing, most chat appears fine but some lines are delayed for some seconds and I think it's usually someone else in the house downloading a movie and eating up bandwith.

You could also try resetting your router by unplugging it for a few minutes then reconnect. If you are using wireless, use a cable instead as wireless is prone to all sorts of interferences.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-improve-Viewer-performance/ta-p/1316923

ok.. a few questions then..

what is your bandwidth set to?

what is your internet speed? you can test it here  (check it against san fran or dallas..) MY results

What are your graphics set to?

What kind of system are you running?

IE... in the help tab of the viewer you hit "about (viewer)" and it give you your system info.

Firestorm 4.3.1 (31155) Dec  2 2012 00:45:37 (Firestorm-Release) with Havok support
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 645 Processor (3100 MHz)
Memory: 6144 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 9800 GT/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.1106
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

3000 on the CatzNip viewer, yet this has never caused issues.

connecting to dallas "Ping: 139" "Dowload speed: 10.72MPS" "Upload speed: 1.11MPS"

Connecting from closest server in the UK "Ping 23" "Download speed 20.10MPS" "Upload speed: 1.12MPS"

Graphics are set on high, but shaders and objects have been turned up to max (never causes issues)

Windows 7 ultimate 64 BIT

Catznip R7 Oct 23 2012 19:54:00 (Catznip Release)

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Six-Core Processor (3314.92 MHz)
Memory: 16367 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit (Build 7600)
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 550 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.1407
OpenGL Version: 4.2.0

Also to the message before "Nyll" I have tried restarting my router, and yes, it is wired also directly into my desktop, I have also tried turning off other devices which use the bandwidth. Ipod phones etc.

Note: Also while playing, i have been watching the bandwidth, and it seems much more unstable than it should be, on any sim, while moving, it likes to go up to the 1k mark.

LouiseDeBlois wrote:

3000 on the CatzNip viewer, yet this has never caused issues.

connecting to dallas "Ping: 139" "Dowload speed: 10.72MPS" "Upload speed: 1.11MPS"

Connecting from closest server in the UK "Ping 23" "Download speed 20.10MPS" "Upload speed: 1.12MPS"

Graphics are set on high, but shaders and objects have been turned up to max (never causes issues)

Windows 7 ultimate 64 BIT

Catznip R7 Oct 23 2012 19:54:00 (Catznip Release)

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Six-Core Processor (3314.92 MHz)

Memory: 16367 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit (Build 7600)

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 550 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.1407

OpenGL Version: 4.2.0

Also to the message before "Nyll" I have tried restarting my router, and yes, it is wired also directly into my desktop, I have also tried turning off other devices which use the bandwidth. Ipod phones etc.

Note: Also while playing, i have been watching the bandwidth, and it seems much more unstable than it should be, on any sim, while moving, it likes to go up to the 1k mark.

jesus wept!! turn your bandwidth down to 1500 at most.

Wait a minute.. isnt catznip a viewer one type? this could be a SSb issue, LL is working on the servers.

If you are just testing your Internet connection, you may not find the problem. Look through Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection, which is specifically for testing your connection to SL.

It seems that with the new CHUI we also got a refactor of code handling inventory. Plus the Sunshine project includes changing many of the communication protocols for SL services over to HTTP. If you are seeing a consistant problem and can reproduce on demand, file a JIRA with the time and location it happens and the steps needed to reproduce the problem.

We are ver close to the avatar baking process moving from viewer side to server side. So, there is not much point incomplaining about Bake Fail (blurry avatars). I too have noticed more avatar baking and attachment problems than usual, especially in Firestorm. Try turning on HTTP Texture Get. Some weeks ago it was best to have it turned off. Many still think it is. I seem to get better performance with it turned on.

Chat lag has always been an issue in SL. Some months ago (April 2011) they made a number of changes to chat. At the time they tried XMPP Chat and discovered the problems with SL chat lay elsewhere. A couple of months after that they made changes and improved response times. Since then, chat has lagged again... The Lindens say when they increased capacity it only took users weeks to use up the added capacity... mean we chat more I guess. Rod was coming on board that year. Since then fundamental parts of the system are being upgraded. About all the Lindens will say is they will be getting around to working on chat again. Apparently the CHUI update has more code changes than theLindens are talking about... judging by some of the problems.

Well I really do this situation fixes itself soon, as I have been talking to a range of friends and groups on my sl account, and around 80% of the time they said they got this issue since 3-4 days ago, mostly in the EU area. I have contacted support, saying I am not the only on with these issues and it seems to be a major thing, but sadly, they only direct me to old links multiple times even when I have said I have looked at these.

Even said I should get preimum for support, yet all I was simply doing was explaining the issue of im not the only one, and it seems to be a major thing in the EU area at this time eheh

Ooooooh yay!?

Slow Restart For A Small Number of Regions

Posted by Status Desk on April 22nd, 2013 at 09:13 am PDT

[Posted 9:05am PDT, 22 April 2013] We’re restarting a small number of regions this morning.  They may be down for slightly longer than a normal restart cycle.   We’ll return all regions to service as quickly as possible.

If you are getting this issue, please reply saying you are, hopefully this will help LL understand and try to fix this issue

See, its a pain as it is not outside. I have contacted support 2 times explaining the situation, saying I'm not the only one and its seems like a massive issue...

But, all I get it. I need premium to receive help.

This is stupid as they don't get the message in anyway what so ever

• 1 year later...

I've been getting very bad chat lag lately.  To the point it is impossible to properly communicate.  I am running windows 8 with an AMD 8750 [8 core0, 16gb of memory, an SSD hard drive, ATI 6790 graphics card.  In short its a fairly fast system, not top of the line, but no slouch.  For some reason the last month has been hell chatting.  At time it is perfectly fine, then others impossible to type.  No idea of the cause.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.