Can't run Viewer at all!!

lilaznblaze94

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4522 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When you have a problem check Second Life Grid Status Reports to see if it is the SL grid that is down.

Generally, the viweer opens up no matter what. If you have never gotten it to work, this is your first try, look at the System Requirements to see if your hardware can run SL.

If you meet the requirements, let us know and we'll see if we can help.

I ran this morning the program without problems. There was a notification for an update, but I skipped it at that time. Everything was fine. I logged off.

Then, a couple of hours later, I installed the update, and now the program won't start anymore. It gives an error about Nvidia and timeout when the inital start-up is almost complete. So, in other words, the newest update broke everything for me. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Tanni, try downloading and running the beta version. They've had a problem for a while with recent Nvidia cards with that problem and it's fixed in the beta now. I used to have the same problem and the beta works well for me. It may be a while before the fixes are released to the main viewer because it seems like the fixes are causing problems with some ATI cards now.

This is a known issue with certain versions of the viewer and certain nVidia cards running certain drivers. There isn't as much certainty there as it may sound...

See: nVidia Driver GTX 460 Problems - This was written when the problem started showing up. The 460 is not the only card that has this problem. Runitia Linden has this fixed in his Shinning Development branch. The fixes are working through QA. My understanding is some issues on the Mac side slowed things down.

One work around some have used is to open the viewer but not log in. Open Preferences and set the graphics to LOW. Once logged in, they can change the graphics to a higher setting.

Others have rolled their driver back to 260.99. The problem is in OpenGL, which the nVidia drivers update. In newer OpenGL versions some old functions/API that have been long depreciated were deleted. It seems the Lab was busy with other things and lagged on keeping up with OpenGL development.

The SL Viewer 3.2.5 is the current version with some number of the OpenGL fixes/updates. The Beta viewer 3.2.4 supposedly has some of them too. The release notes are a bit behind in the wiki. Looking up what is in which release in the code repository is too tedious. So, you can try the Beta and then the Snowstorm Development version to see if they fix it. FORTUNATELY, these all  install into separate folders so you can install them and try them without messing up your other installs.

Warning: If you decide to uninstall any of the SL Viewers... Remember. They wipe chat logs, settings, and other important SL Viewer files and any one uninstall can trash all the other SL and TPV viewers you have installed. It is best to manually delete them rather than uninstall.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4522 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.