Can't install the latest release

Miyani Ichtama

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, yesterday, my voice decided to vanish. After an annoying few hours trying everything I could think of, I decided to do a clean install.

What a mistake.

I uninstalled the viewer, and downloaded the latest .exe from the Second Life website. I opened it, and hit Install. I waited. When the install was almost done, I started getting these:

ARGH.png

For some reason, I cannot install the latest viewer at all. And there are many files that are broken like this, including (shock and surprise) the vox files that I need for VOICE, the thing that was broken in the first place.

Can anyone offer insight into what the... ahem. Into what's going on? I'm getting terribly frustrated.

Thanks, all.

When you uninstall SL make sure that all remaining SL files (!) are deleted. Remaining uninstalled files may cause those errors.

Perhaps SL's uninstall may not have cleaned SL totally from your computer.

Make sure that the Second Life program folder in C:/Programs folder is deleted.

And do make sure that the SL user folders on your computer in the C:/ Users/Yourname/Roaming/ and C:/Users/Yourname/Local/ are deleted too.

Then restart your computer and install SL again.

Let's hope that was the problem.

The image is so small the text has degraded to the point it is unreadable. Add the text to you post. To do that use OPTIONS -> EDIT in the upper right.

You may be having a problem with your anti-virus. Some AV's complain about some of the SL programs, VOX and SLPlugin are common problems. Try disabling your AV and reinstall.

At this point a clean install may be a good idea. See: Second Life Clean Install. This is written for people using more than one brand of viewer. So, there is more info there than you need. But, if you ever decide to run more than one viewer type, you'll be prepared.

Also, you want to try turning off or circumventing UAC (User Access Control). If you are not installing as an Admin this could be the problem. To circumvent the problem right click the SL EXE install file and select Run as Admin.

To turn off UAC type msconfig into the Start Search and when the program is found, run it. When the System Configuration tool opens select the TOOLS tab. Click the column name 'Tool Name' once to sort the tools by name. Find Disable UAC. Launch it and run the install. This will permanently disable UAC. That increases the risk of virus infection and other problems. So, when you are done, remember to come back and Enable UAC, which if you look, you will see just below Disable UAC.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.