Elite Runner
Topics: 25
Blog Posts: 0

Can Second Life run on Windows 8?

Windows 8 Consumer Preview has been released last week and I have a question to ask: Can Second Life run on Windows 8? Can Firestorm and Phoenix viewer run on Windows 8 as well?

Peggy Paperdoll

Re: Can Second Life run on Windows 8?

Reply to Elite Runner - view message

It probably can.  There was someone else who had issues with Win 8 the other day.  From his discription of the problem it appeared to be a driver problem for his video card (which makes sense with a new OS).  He later said he got the problem resolved but even after 3 requests about what the problem was so that people like you could see how to possibly fix a similar problem, he never responded.

I just got done wiping my drive on my other computer because I messed up (actually, I don't think I messed up so much as the ISO setup that Microsoft gives is funky.......but that's just my opinion.  I created a partition for Win 8 on the drive to install it so that I could keep my Vista on that computer too.........the installation over wrote my Vista OS even when I designated the installation on the partition (drive J).  I got miffed and wiped the drive last night and into today (it took 23 hours and 20 sometime minutes to wipe..........I'll never do the DOD 7 pass wipe again :smileyhappy: ).  Make sure you install the Preview where you want it.  I really was careful about selecting the drive but it installed on drive C anyway.  There's no going back if you overwrite you OS........you must reinstall your OS if you decide you don't want Win 8.  Microsoft is calling it a preview but it's really just a beta release.

Topics: 5

My friend impetuously installed Win8 on the first day, overwriting her Os. Now she's bought Win7 again to reinstall that. I think the 'Preview' moniker made her think it was something it is not.

Windows OSs are usually no damn good until about a year after release, if then, anyway.I wouldn't be in too much of a rush.

Join date 6 July 2004 -- Mud! Mud! Glorious mud! Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood. So, follow me, follow, down to the hollow, And there let us wallow in glorious mud. -- Flanders and Swann
Peggy Paperdoll

Reply to Osprey Therian - view message

To Microsoft's credit the do warn you on the download page.  If you read it and follow some of the links MS provides you would know it's a full on operating system beta release.  They even warn that unless you are experienced with uninstalling and reinstalling operating systems that the "preview" may not be for you.  Heck even finding the ISO download was confusing to me..........but I have it if anyone wants it.  :smileyhappy:  As it is now, it's a pretty shiny purple coaster (to add to my collection).  :smileyhappy:

Charolotte Caxton

Reply to Peggy Paperdoll - view message

Is that coaster for the cup holder that slides out of the tower?

Peggy Paperdoll

Reply to Charolotte Caxton - view message

Yeah, how did you know?  :smileyhappy:

Charolotte Caxton

Wild guess :smileyvery-happy:

Topics: 5

I still have Win XP hah - as it ain't broke ;-D I will get Win7-64 Pro one of these days when I can afford to, which was a bright spot to Wi8 appearing as it'll make Win7 cheaper maybe.

Join date 6 July 2004 -- Mud! Mud! Glorious mud! Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood. So, follow me, follow, down to the hollow, And there let us wallow in glorious mud. -- Flanders and Swann
Cincia Singh

I installed Win 8 CP on my previously Win 7 Pro computer. No I didn't partition or use a VM to run Win 8. So far I've run Phoenix, Firestorm, LL's V3, Dolphin, Niran's, and Zen viewers with no problems. My computer is a C2D E8500 @ 3.16GHz, 8GB RAM, and a GTX560 Ti w/1GB VRAM.
Warranty clause voided by payment of invoice.
Mitchell Indigo

I recently installed Windows 8 on my computer.  I put it on another partition and I tried to go onto SL using the firestorm viewer but it didn't work because it told me that my graphics card driver was out of date.  ATI has yet to put out up to date graphics drivers for windows 8.