Can Second Life run on Windows 8?

Elite Runner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4076 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It probably can.  There was someone else who had issues with Win 8 the other day.  From his discription of the problem it appeared to be a driver problem for his video card (which makes sense with a new OS).  He later said he got the problem resolved but even after 3 requests about what the problem was so that people like you could see how to possibly fix a similar problem, he never responded.

I just got done wiping my drive on my other computer because I messed up (actually, I don't think I messed up so much as the ISO setup that Microsoft gives is funky.......but that's just my opinion.  I created a partition for Win 8 on the drive to install it so that I could keep my Vista on that computer too.........the installation over wrote my Vista OS even when I designated the installation on the partition (drive J).  I got miffed and wiped the drive last night and into today (it took 23 hours and 20 sometime minutes to wipe..........I'll never do the DOD 7 pass wipe again :) ).  Make sure you install the Preview where you want it.  I really was careful about selecting the drive but it installed on drive C anyway.  There's no going back if you overwrite you OS........you must reinstall your OS if you decide you don't want Win 8.  Microsoft is calling it a preview but it's really just a beta release.

My friend impetuously installed Win8 on the first day, overwriting her Os. Now she's bought Win7 again to reinstall that. I think the 'Preview' moniker made her think it was something it is not.

Windows OSs are usually no damn good until about a year after release, if then, anyway.I wouldn't be in too much of a rush.

To Microsoft's credit the do warn you on the download page.  If you read it and follow some of the links MS provides you would know it's a full on operating system beta release.  They even warn that unless you are experienced with uninstalling and reinstalling operating systems that the "preview" may not be for you.  Heck even finding the ISO download was confusing to me..........but I have it if anyone wants it.  :)  As it is now, it's a pretty shiny purple coaster (to add to my collection).  :)

I installed Win 8 CP on my previously Win 7 Pro computer. No I didn't partition or use a VM to run Win 8. So far I've run Phoenix, Firestorm, LL's V3, Dolphin, Niran's, and Zen viewers with no problems. My computer is a C2D E8500 @ 3.16GHz, 8GB RAM, and a GTX560 Ti w/1GB VRAM.

I recently installed Windows 8 on my computer.  I put it on another partition and I tried to go onto SL using the firestorm viewer but it didn't work because it told me that my graphics card driver was out of date.  ATI has yet to put out up to date graphics drivers for windows 8.

ATI, AMD, nVidia or any other hardware manufacturer is not likely to have any driver written with Windows 8 in mind for a while yet.  MS just released the preview a few days ago.......the preview is not the final release.  And manufacturers are not likely to waste both time and energy (not to mention risking introduction of bugs that effect current releases of MS operating systems) on software that is beta and could change drastically or even not ever be released in it's final form.  The Windows 8 preview is beta............the final release is probably not going to be very much like the preview.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running windows 8 consumer preview since it came out, and well, I found that SL performs better on win8 than win7, at least using Exodus viewer. Between 5-10 fps more, which on my home parcel is a good improvement.. I have too many grass/tree prims.

The native win8 NVidia drivers havn't done anything I can see other than it just saying that win8 is actually supported by them.

Having said all that though, win8 has a bit of a learning curve. Lol I don't even know how to shut it down properly.. The button labelled "shut down" on the bottom/top right under settings kindly hibernates the computer instead, I'll have to google it again sometime.. Yeah, I know.. It sounds stupid, but I actually had to look up how to turn my computer off...

And cause it might make some better context~

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Processor (3292.85 MHz)

Memory: 8186 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit  (Build 8250)

Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 550 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0012.9617

OpenGL Version: 4.2.0

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Im running on the eval Version of Windows 8.

nvidia released Drivers for Windows 8 during the betaphase, as they did with Windows 7 when it was in beta Phase...

secondlife runs absolutly perfect on Windows 8.   (AMD FX8100, gForce GT240)

it refuses to work on my Laptop. CTD as soon as it starts to render...  but that's an issue of Age...    does the same under Windows 7

Overall...   Windows 8 is not bad at all... and once it's finally available, ill get it...    :)

• 2 months later...

I wish you could please tell me what to do to make Widows 8 work.  I have tried SL viewer (can't see anyone but myself; everyone else appear grey and the music only plays for a second and shuts off).  I've tried Phoenix and Firestorm (I keep getting booted, still seeing grey people and similar problems with the music).  I'm really frustrated because I paid a fortune for this laptop last night.  8 Gigs and all the bells and whistles; but I can't do the thing I enjoy doing most.  Please help.

MellowBrown wrote:

I wish you could please tell me what to do to make Widows 8 work.  I have tried SL viewer (can't see anyone but myself; everyone else appear grey and the music only plays for a second and shuts off).  I've tried Phoenix and Firestorm (I keep getting booted, still seeing grey people and similar problems with the music).  I'm really frustrated because I paid a fortune for this laptop last night.  8 Gigs and all the bells and whistles; but I can't do the thing I enjoy doing most.  Please help.

I doubt this is a Windows 8 problem - I suggest you post yout machines's spec from the Help-> About Second Life menu as that may help in diagnosis.

Thom Blauvelt wrote:

I guess it can... sometimes... I also have a problem with my graphic card driver. The message i get is that the driver is either out of date or not been installed properly. I hav´nt been in sl since I got windows 8... why the hell did i sell my Windows 7 :-(

Sometimes that happens when a driver fails to install correctly - try returning to the previous version and then reinstalling.   Also google the name of your graphics card and 'Windows 8' to see if others are having problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to buy a new laptop and decided to go with windows 8.  SL comes up and the screen "vibrates" intermittently to the point that it is distracting.  I have Intel graphics 4000 and 16gb mem.  Tried both SL & Firestorm viewers and both act the same.  Also, all of my temporary-rezzed prims do not display.  ????  Any help out there?

PrincessBeatrix wrote:

I have just signed up to Second Life and when I click on "go to home" it asks me to allow a program at which point it says it can't find an app that supports it and it sends me to the app store... I'm not good with computers, can you help???

I haven't seen any Second Life in the app store. You can download the regular viewer from http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/

Several people have made nice additions and modifications to the SL viewer, you can find those at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory  But, you may want to start with the standard viewer until you get your feet wet.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4076 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.