CHUI Project Viewer

Hitomi Tiponi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Linden Lab have announced the CHUI Project Viewer.  There are a lot of new features associated with handling all sorts of chats, including the merging of 'Nearby Chat' with the IMs if you want and plenty of other good stuff.

Not everything is perfect, but this is an early release and the CHUI team is keen for our feedback. They say:

We’ve been testing CHUI inside Linden Lab for some time, but any major redesign requires a lot of people using it to make it as smooth and useful as it can be. This is where you come in.
Please think about these questions as you use the CHUI project viewer:

• Are the new features useful?
  • Do the functions you commonly use seem more streamlined, or do they require more clicks than before?
  • Are all of the functions, both old and new, easy to find?

We’ll ask you to complete a survey in approximately one week to gather your thoughts on these questions.

This is a very positive step - as is the opening up of their area of the JIRA.  I will be giving them constructive feedback and I hope others will do the same.

I just downloaded the linked Project Viewer and I can't seem to find any CHUI. Everything looks as normal as V3 gets, and there doesn't appear to be any option to bundle everything together into one floater or whatever.

Everything is still separated, and I hope it stays that way with only the option of squishing everything into one window if people want to. It sounds like a clunky/overly condensed way of handling chat/communication, and from what I can imagine, it's a devolvement of the current floaters used in the V3 hud (which are devolved from V1 floaters).

Jessicka Graves wrote:

I just downloaded the linked Project Viewer and I can't seem to find any CHUI. Everything looks as normal as V3 gets, and there doesn't appear to be any option to bundle everything together into one floater or whatever.

Everything is still separated, and I hope it stays that way with only the option of squishing everything into one window if people want to. It sounds like a clunky/overly condensed way of handling chat/communication, and from what I can imagine, it's a devolvement of the current floaters used in the V3 hud (which are devolved from V1 floaters).

You haven't been able to use it but you are going to pass judgement on it anyways. Nice logic.

If you're going to provide feedback on CHUI at least make an effort to actually use it. Don't be kainotophobic.

It may sound clunky to you or overly-simplistic but until you've used it you won't know.

I downloaded the project viewer and used it. It's very similar to the old Phoenix viewer chat console with a couple of additional options for adding people to a chat or voice convo on the fly. It does take up a lot of screen space but I know people who avoid the LL viewer just to get their communications condensed. It'd be a good idea as long as it gives the opportunity to switch back to the current LL chat setup, which it doesn't.

I did give this new viewer a short run.

Overall impression, I was pleasantly surprised.  A slight learning curve but fairly intuitive.

I didn't use it too long though and not enough to say if it presented any technical problems for me.  My frame rate always bombs out on the official viewer and it did with this one also.

And on a side note, why does the Lab still so stubbornly refuse to make the camera controls resizeable?

Is the coding for that really that complicated? 

Anything that blocks "Your World" also blocks "Your Imagination."

Well, 'All communications in one floater' is nothing new, poeple have been requesting this from the very first version of LL V2 on and Firestorm has had it 'forever', because people wanted it. With some minor improvements like being able to open group chats from CHUI and the possibility to switch from vertical to horizontal  chat tabs, the CHUI would be fine.

Edit: I crash every time i have 2 communications open and a 3rd one comes in.....

Additionally, make the cam controls resizeable, bring back legacy profiles and search, implement a faster webkit version  and release a 64 bit viewer for windows and linux and the  LL viewer will become a usable alternative.

Until then, I wil stick with Singularity, which gives me approximately 30-50% higher FPS than any LL viewer with even higher settings than in any LL viewer.

Jeannie

• 2 weeks later...

Over a week ago the 'CHUI Team' stated in their original blog post:

Please think about these questions as you use the CHUI project viewer:
  • Are the new features useful?
  • Do the functions you commonly use seem more streamlined, or do they require more clicks than before?
  • Are all of the functions, both old and new, easy to find?

We’ll ask you to complete a survey in approximately one week to gather your thoughts on these questions.

Has anyone seen any sign of this appearing?

• 1 month later...

Hi all.  We did indeed plan to release a survey, but a number of residents have submitted not just bugs, but general opinions, in JIRA.  As JIRA seems to be working well for feedback, we may not release a formal survey after all.

Since releasing the project viewer, we've been working on a critical piece of CHUI, the notification subsystem.  IN CHUI, you'll have more flexible and more diverse options for being alerted of incoming communications.  We've also been using the feedback we've received so far in our ongoing work.  You can expect the next project viewer, which will include these new functions, by the end of December.

You should feel free to file JIRAs for any feedback you wish to offer.  In particular, we want to know if the new functions (such as the conversation log) are usable and convenient, and improve the viewer communication experience.  We also want to know if you think the reorganization of the communication functions will help new residents get up to speed more quickly. However, any and all feedback you send us is of great interest to us.

Thanks everyone.

I would really like to be able to use this viewer, but it crashes constantly for me, I've submitted a JIRA On the crash with logs and everything and haven't seen an updated version of it ... Hopefully it's as good as everyone is saying, because I can't stand the communications in v3 viewers and am still using Phoenix because of it

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded the viewer last week and really liked all of the new features.  I thought allt he updates were completely awesome and easy to use. (I am already a Viewer 2 user).  However...I do have two questions/dislikes.  One is that I crash pretty often.  Another is I don't get any blinking light or notification when I get a new IM.  It is a little irritating.  Also.....I don't care for how the IM boxese are so close together.  I have accidentally written things in a box..or local chat and didn't mean for those people to see it.  Another critisism I have is not being able to see IM and local chat at the same time.  I really like that option in the regular viewer 2  version.  Maybe someone can help me edit these features, if at all possible. Ty so much.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.