BIG problem Firestorm Viewer

OoXCookieChanXoO

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3150 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, a couple of weeks ago I had to stop going on SL because I had to pay a debt which is no biggie. This past Wednesday though, when I tried to Log into the Firestorm Viewer for Secondlife, I have noticed that things are loading up alot slower than normal. My net is slow yes, but I never had this much trouble loading up my Avatar and the area. 

So, First thing I did was take Second life completely off my computer. Anything Firestorm and Cache was removed for a clean uninstall. Then, I reinstalled the Firestorm Viewer: Done.

I get on this morning and rendering along with loading is even slower. It is not my computer and I have checked for any viruse. My internet connection is fine, because I can work with the preferences to make the Viewer become faster. But not this time. This time it remained extremely slow to where I will be standing in a Sandbox for a good 20 minutes for only a few items to load up while everything else like the inventory and the Land get finished loading. I will sit their like a cloud with only a chunk at a time appearing, and this is a overly long process. If it does not load, then I am immediatly kicked from the server and it claims it is my internet connection. 

Next, I try to relog onto the Viewer and the next thing I get is: We are unable to decode the file storing your saved login credentials. At this point saving or deleting credentials will erase all those that were previously stored. This may happen when you change a network setup. Restarting the viewer wtih previous network configuration may help recovering your saved login credentials.    

What does this exactly mean? I have changed network providers MONTHS ago and this is now just showing up? Is this something I should be worried about? Cause I guarentee their is no way I can Go back to my previous netowkr configuration because I moved. 

After this, I completely logged into the world of Second Life, waiting for my stuff to load once more at a slow pace. Then I started to get messages:  Unable to load gesture so and so plenty. I recieved this a LOT at once in the chat box, so immediatly I checked my Gestures to see that it literally did not load... it was all gone. Then I went into my inventory ..... to see... the majority of my Inventory GONE. Only thing is left are the folders, my outfits and that is it. I cannot exactly try right now and see if any of the outfits work because: LOADING UP TOO SLOW. 

So yes, expirencing many problems at once right now and I am at my last wits. ^^ It was only a couple of weeks ago when I did not have a single problem and NOW once I pay up my debt the mess starts to occur.  I don't know what to do or how to restore my items back because I had thousands.  Arn't items supposed to be stored online? How does thousands of items suddenly disappear??????  This is just horrible! And I feel jipped out of more money. 

Don't panic about the missing inventory items. This all sounds like network problems, and your inventory is almost certanly intact on the servers, unable to download to your viewer, same as everything else that's loading so slowly. Once you figure out what's wrong with your network, you'll probably need to wipe your viewer's object cache again and login to a quiet part of the grid, open Inventory, and stay put until everything loads. Obviously, however, there's no point in doing that with your current network situation.

Now, what's wrong with your network? Well, for it to be this bad, you might be among the few still plagued by weird "gaps" in CDN service. I don't know how to tell if that's your problem, other than to rule out everything else. So I agree with using the current Linden viewer to narrow the range of possibilities, although the very first thing I'd do is to reboot every bit of network gear between your chair and the ISP's wall jack.

I have not checked any other Viewers mostly because Firestorm has always been the Main Viewer Ive used, and never had this problem before. My net is slow, yes that is understandable and their is nothing I can really Do about that but reboot it and carry on. Last night I did a speed test on it, and the ping is about 636ms? If I recall so yes, Net is slow and it won't get any faster because I am not the one who is paying for it, the people I am living with ARE. ): BUT a week ago or more their was no issues at all. Think Imma go through and try to free up some computer space, do another scan, do a deep compy clean and see where it is going to take me. Cause I do not want to use up More space downloading Viewers that I won't use in the future. 

I think I have cleaned out my cache more than what I can count.

Plus last night I discovered the site is doing maintence on the grid which caused me to slow down to a horrible rate. But it is STILL slow today. So, Ill do what I can and take everyones advise and try what I can. 

OoXCookieChanXoO wrote:

I have not checked any other Viewers mostly because Firestorm has always been the Main Viewer Ive used, and never had this problem before. My net is slow, yes that is understandable and their is nothing I can really Do about that but reboot it and carry on. Last night I did a speed test on it, and the ping is about 636ms? If I recall so yes, Net is slow and it won't get any faster because I am not the one who is paying for it, the people I am living with ARE. ): BUT a week ago or more their was no issues at all. Think Imma go through and try to free up some computer space, do another scan, do a deep compy clean and see where it is going to take me. Cause I do not want to use up More space downloading Viewers that I won't use in the future. 

I think I have cleaned out my cache more than what I can count.

Plus last night I discovered the site is doing maintence on the grid which caused me to slow down to a horrible rate. But it is STILL slow today. So, Ill do what I can and take everyones advise and try what I can. 

636 miiliseconds?  Youch.  What's your packet loss?

And is that to the servers in Tucson AZ?

If I measure to the other side of the world from me to Australia the worst I get is around 250 milisecs.  http://www.pingtest.net/

Are you connecting wireless or hard wire (ethernet)?

If wireless is there a way you can plug directly into the router?

If you are wired could you have a bad cable?

Lastly, could someone else on the network have started doing something that's making it worse for you?

Basically I have Hughes Net/ aka dishnetwork Internet. It is a Satellite type so it is prone to get really crappy with Second Life. BUT I never really had much of an issue with it even if it was slow.

I am connecting Wireless

The Router is in my parents Bedroom since I live with them after some complications of life.

No one elser eally uses the network because it is just so slow for them.

I live in Missouri in a small kinda small Town.

Now I did that Ping Test and it gave me these results:
Packet Loss: idk because it was unable to Test it
Ping: 1494ms
Jitter: 368
Server: Sioux City, IA
Distance: 350 mi

Last Night I have also realized that after waiting a good hour things loaded up and ran a bit faster all of a sudden. But that is not all,  when I restarted the Viewer because it was getting a bit laggy, it all loaded up just fine

Now this morning the Slow Rendering Occured once more. ^^ I have NO idea what is going on. Perhaps it is becuase less people are online at night . 

OoXCookieChanXoO wrote:

Basically I have Hughes Net/ aka dishnetwork Internet. It is a Satellite type so it is prone to get really crappy with Second Life.

https://secondlife.com/my/support/system-requirements/?lang=en-US

The above link states:

Internet Connection*:

• Minimum requirement: Cable or DSL

• Recommended: Cable or DSL

* Second Life is not compatible with dial-up internet, satellite internet, and some wireless internet services.

Thus, with very high propability,  it is your internet connection causing your problems.

• 4 months later...

It's just one of those SL things. I live in France, again slow machine and connection, and things have been getting worse for the last two weeks.

I know it's not me, because my setup has not changed, and apart from normal ISP issues with time of day etc, the same network runs fine with a browser, whether I'm on Windows or Linux and my phones. Since broken undersea cables mostly make the news, then it has to be SL, who of course are continually maintaining asset servers, playing with server versions which are not the same grid wide, and putting in things for new viewers.

There is of course a new viewer version which drops support for Windows XP and Mac OS 10.5 and 10.6 due to the use of  "new tools", so I suspect that has an awful lot to do with it. And as usual, with LL's preference for nVidia over AMD/ATi, it seems AMD graphics users are having tremendous problems (blamed on OpenGL problems with the drivers, as usual) which is probably adding to server load as the rebakes and relogs mount up.

I don't know of many people not complaining about it being generally slow for the last couple of weeks regardless of their system and location. I did read of some major network problem in the US, and have noticed that certain sites, several games but not others, and YouTube but not Facebook, have had a lot of problems the last few weeks too. So it could be a US backbone problem in general, not helped by the current penchant for streaming music and video and Netflix gobbling up bandwidth.

Hopefully it will get better, as it often does, might need the next viewer update. I generally find Firestorm much quicker and more stable than the SL viewer, particularly if run under Linux.

• 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3150 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.