Anyone else having problems with second life on windows 8?

stingnthetale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi folks,

I just installed windows 8 32 bit but SL and firestorm fails to start get a message about needing a new graphics card driver.

I have an ATI radion HD 4600 not yet 3 years old and installed the latest drivers but no good.

It does seem that AMD are treating the 2000, 3000 and 4000 series of these cards as legacy products and wont be making any more drivers for them.

I have tried windows 7 drivers but no good either.

Anyone else having problems running SL and firestorm viewer under windows 8?

Thanks for any help.

Sting

Thanks very much for that link. Managed to get Sl working with that driver but no the Firestorm viewer, which will open ok and log me in but freezes before a sim is loaded.

As regards the above driver it wont install just by clicking on the downloaded file. It has to be done by going to the device manager and updating from there, what I call a Force install....kinda approbiapte for SL...lol

Thanks again

Stingy

Did you install the 64 bit or 32 bit OS of Windows 8?

The 32bit drivers is http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/306.97/306.97-notebook-win8-win7-winvista-32bit-international-whql.exe

The 64bit Drivers is http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/306.97/306.97-notebook-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe

I found out what drivers you need by looking up the specs of your computer.

Before upgrading to Windows 8 it is wise to check that all the parts of your computer, gpu, touchpad etc. and attached devices e.g. printers have drivers available for Windows 8.  Also a quick google with the name of your machine and 'Windows 8 upgrade' usually finds out if there has been any issues that others have had.

• 4 months later...

Would you know if I can retrograde to Vista by replacing the HDD in my old laptop? Win8 and this old chipset won't let me use SL or Minecraft. And both Gateway and intel say they won't be updating my drivers. The files Lifento suggested don't work.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.