AMD GRAPHICS CARD UPDATE...STILL ISSUES

VivaLaTease

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently I did the update for AMD, but after discovering the issues with Second Life and the new update for AMD, I followed the instructions and completely deleted the update of AMD and went to the 14.4 version of AMD. All though this has helped with the mesh and such with going back to the 14.4 version, I am still experiencing issues: Second Life being jerky/choppy, when I open anything, (note cards, inventory, search, IMs), its like a 1-2 second delay (hope that made sense). 

I have lowered my graphics in my preferences, and tweeked some of the settings in the graphics part in preferences in the hopes this will help till Second Life and AMD figure something out I guess with the graphics card side of things (fingers crossed), because this is a major annoyance and inconvenience to some extent, and I am willing to put up with it for a while of course :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Is anyone experiencing the same issue?....Does anyone have any suggestions?

Unfortunately I have a All In One HP TouchSmart 610, and I have asked my RL if it were possible to get a better graphics card, (mind you I have really no knowledge on computer techey stuff), and he said that as far as he knows its really not possible.

I encountered this issue yesterday after my AMD card updated.....I am beyond cross...LL recommends AMD graphics cards so therefore they should be rectIfying this issue...Yes I know there is a work around with installing an older code/driver? but I am not computer literate and after reading the blogs about this I am confused and unsure (yes I am thick)..Yes disabling hardware skinning gives me mesh back but everything else looks poor...Come on Linden Labs dont recommend graphics cards that you dont keep up to date with and those of us who use the product suffer..I have been a premium member since joining SL in 2006 I also own a SIM and pay tier monthly, I am not expecting special treatment, but I expect there are many AMD graphics card users like myself who are pretty fed up with LL today...Dont say buy a Nvdia card

In truth, Linden Labs are uninterested in your personal problems. Second Life is dying now anyway so dont stress about the small stuff. Linden Labs killed gaming, Land fees are crazy, As a premium paying member you get nothing. You can complain to Second Life live chat but that wont help you as they are useless.

To suggest, "just buy another graphics card" Is somewhat mildly retarded.

Time to quit. 

If you are using wireless, try using a physical LAN cable to connect your computer to your modem or router. Wireless internet connections are not as solid as completely wired connections.

The other option I can think of is to sign up for a subscription to SLGO  https://slgo.onlive.com/  Read their site, so you can understand which computers it will work on, and how much it will cost. They run the Second Life viewer software on their server (instead of your computer). Your computer only acts as a display, so it does not have to do much work. There is a monthly fee for SLGO, because you are using the OnLive servers. They are a separate company, not part of Linden Lab.

• 1 month later...

You can try a work around to the issue as mentioned in the second life jira.  https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-7653?focusedCommentId=449014&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-449014

This will allow you to use the older opengl files for second life while your computer can still use the latest drivers to be able to run other games on the new version.  I read on other sites that this omega drivers has allowed people to play games they were not able to play before so I doupt AMD would want to change this driver much.  Eventually a fix will be made if the Lindens are working closely with AMD about it.  Also like the person in that link said, send a report about the driver to AMD about the issue with second life.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're on Windows, you're stuck with the crippled OpenGL compatibility Microsoft thinks you want. If you're on Windows or MacOS, you get the device drivers AMD thinks are good enough. If you're on Linux and aren't tied to some odd feature only available in the AMD fglrx drivers, you'll probably see a framerate

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.