AMD ATI Lag Issues WIth Viewer 3 *[FIX]*

Drager Sutter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I thought this may help someone as it helped me. This only affects AMD ATI Radeon graphic cards.

*DISCLAIMER* use at your own risk i am not responsible for any damage caused to your computer by using beta drivers

After spending alot of time testing between my different gaming machine setups i found a driver combo that runs viewer 3 great.

First 11.8 catalyst drivers are very problematic, especially if you are running crossfire(dual gpu) setup like me. So for overall stability i'd recommend rolling back to the 11.7 drivers.

Secondly there is a preview version of OpenGL 4.2 drivers which are *Amazing* download immediately and thank me later.

For Windows Click here

For Linux Click here

These drivers along with the viewer 3 beta drivers makes the experience smooth as butter. *For me anyways*

*NOTE*

So make sure you install the 11.7 drivers first then install the opengl drivers overtop of the 11.7 drivers.

The opengl drivers only affect the opengl drivers used. So if u have 11.8 and install the opengl 4.2 preview drivers you'll still be 11.8 basic graphics drivers which are unstable.

Let me know if these work for you.

Drag ~

Thanks Drager. I updated my video drivers to version 11.8 when I saw there was an update. Performance seems the same with 11.8 and11.7 drivers.  If you set the antialiasing to 2x there will also be an increase in performance for slviewer2. I also uncheck the anisotropic filtering in slviewer2.

Rc Rexen

I use a HD6950 viedo card and when I upgraded to catalyst 11.8 my viewer 2 V3 video performance became erratic and jumpy. i reinstalled an older version of the viewer..still bad.  I ran Firestorm and it works fine. I noticed while viewing my AMD System Monitor that Viewer 2 is more GPU intensive whereas Firestorm is more CPU intensive. I have been happy with viewer 2 for a long while but i guess I will have to switch to Firestorm.

Hello, Drager. Thanks for the info. I have a few questions.

I am using 11.8. Would I download and use the driver you linked to in addition to 11.8 or in place of 11.8?

When you say viewer 3 beta driver do you mean the actual viewer 3.0 or is there an actual viewer 3 beta driver?

I don't have crossfire, would your recommendations be of benefit to me?

Thanks for your help :) 

Hello Charolotte, I think I might be able to help you with your questions. The link provided is for beta drivers for ATI video cards. They are beta so they might help performance or maybe not. I rolled back my video drivers to version 11.7 and there was no difference from the  version 11.8 video drivers. I think you know there is the v3.0 slviewer and also a beta v3.0 slviewer and not v3.0 slviewer drivers. I like to uninstall the video drivers before I update to newer drivers. I use the uninstall in the control panel to remove the drivers.

Rc Rexen

Thank you, Rc.

I had not previously uninstalled the old drivers when installing the new drivers, but I saw that is part of the instructions in the link provided and your doing the same reinforces that this is a step I should be doing.

I do know about the beta viewer, thank you for that clarification.

Once I roll back to 11.7, will I also be wanting to be using the open GL 4.2, or is it one or the other type thing?

Thank you for your help and patience with my questions.

Hello Charolotte, You are correct in saying one or the other. openGL and everything you need is in version 11.7 drivers. There is no need to install anything else. You can use just the version 11.7 drivers or just the beta preview drivers. From what I read on the ATI web site version 11.8 has the updates for openGL but I could be wrong. You are very welcome and glad that I could help.

Rc Rexen

Hey Charlotte,

There is a slight misconception about my post. There are actually 2 parts.

One is rolling back to 11.7 which will include opengl drivers. However they will not give you the performance boost just stability.

The second part is to download the link for the openGL preview drivers. These specifically update the opengl drivers for your card and overwrite the 11.7 opengl drivers.

What this achieves is stability of the regular 11.7 overall graphic drivers and the improved performance of the opengl 4.2 Preview drivers. 

Both are needed to get the most out of the card.

Hi Derry I have tested with viewer 3 and firestorm. They both work equally well with the driver setup i posted however, i have a very beefy system so its hard to notice much difference.

In general tho i believe firestorm/phoenix always seemed to do more on the gpu side. I think since firestorm uses a huge amount of base code from viewer 3 its not the case so much. 

HTH

Drager

Hi

I tried rolling back and phoenix which worked better for me then I tried the developer viewer with trepidation but it has cleared lag and freezing and crashing which was a huge problem, so am on the latest catalyst and development viewer the official linden one and all is fine in my sl world now

Drager Sutter wrote:

Hey Charlotte,

There is a slight misconception about my post. There are actually 2 parts.

One is rolling back to 11.7 which will include opengl drivers. However they will not give you the performance boost just stability.

The second part is to download the link for the openGL preview drivers. These specifically update the opengl drivers for your card and overwrite the 11.7 opengl drivers.

What this achieves is stability of the regular 11.7 overall graphic drivers and the improved performance of the opengl 4.2 Preview drivers. 

Both are needed to get the most out of the card.

Hi, Drager.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I was not certain if I was understanding correctly or not. I appreciate the clarification.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeremy Marquez wrote:

the issue is in the Preferences>Graphics>Hardware then uncheck Anisotropic Filtering (slower when enabled) and Enable OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects

Wow, I unchecked Enable OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects and went from a 20fps to an 85fps. Anisotropic Filtering doesn't seem to effect me either way.

I do not use crossfire and I rolled back to 11.7, am downloading the Open Gl 4.2 right now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this info Drager Sutter.  I was not able to get over 12 fps on low settings and 5 fps on high settings with my PhenomII x6, ATI Radeon HD5850, 16gb memory.  I installed the 11.8 beta drivers with the OpenGL4.2 and started using the Firestorm 3.2.1 which came out before SL did some change to fix Nvidia cards.  I can now get 30 fps on low settings and  20 fps on high settings.  I also learned that my computer likes AA turned on so I set that at 8x, also got a few more fps by turning on Anistropic Filtering, and since this version is before SL's Nvideo loving I was able to turn on Enable VBO which improves my fps as well (10 fps with this disabled).

As a test I did go back and install the Catalyst 11.12 drivers and the fps went to crap again so i restalled the 11.8 beta OpenGL4.2 drivers and fps went back up.

With SL workign better I went to my sister's computer where she has an i7-920, Nvidia GTX 560, 12gb memory, logging in with the same character at the same location with the Firestorm 3.2.2 and was geting 60 fps on low, med, and high, and 55 fps on ultra settings.  Her computer makes me jealous.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.