A question bout the recent viewer update

Natalia280

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. for the last months about 7-8 months , don't remember exactly , i been on the older version of SL viewer. it was 3.52 or something similar .not sure the exact version but it was 3.5 and something. Months back  i got the notice for an update and i did updated. It was when SL had the gamma changes and project sunshine i think . After the update i didn't like at all the view in the viewer. I guess because of the gamma changes,  the view became too sharp , don't like the look of the sea, sunrise, sunset. also the colors are looking less vibrent and the view is darker then once That's why i downloaded back the old version of the 3.52 and chooen  the option to not update the viewer autmatically. I could enjoy the old view and didn't have to update all the last months. But today there was a new update and this time i had to update or it didn't let me to enter to SL. So without a choise i updated it ...and the same issue now...I see back the new view which i don't like and really bothers me. I also have a land and i see everything different, too sharp, different water. Its like the shiny waters, too much shiny. . sunset ,. sunrise , which are less nice then once.. doll colors and from some reason the view is darker too and it's bothering me. especailly when most of the time i like to use sunset view and now all the view is too dark especially at sunset.  There is also a nother weird issue which started after the update. If i tp to a place and the things start to rezz, then all the things which still not rezzed are pink. just pink color on my screen, on things which don't rezz yet. takes abit of time till they rezz and then it's ok but still it bothers ..like this it's on any place i tp too.  I wanted to ask if there is a way to download the older version of the viewer and without having to update to the new version ? Or if there is  a way to change the view on this new version  to similar as it was before, months back, on the older version ? also how to make the view look lighter as once and get rid of the pink color on each thing that didn't rezz yet ? I m really clueless about all the gamma setting or things like these. so if someone can explain me will be very helpful. I just having really hard time with this view  and have hard time to get used to it. .... thank you :)

Natalia280 wrote:

Hello. for the last months about 7-8 months , don't remember exactly , i been on the older version of SL viewer. it was 3.52 or something similar .not sure the exact version but it was 3.5 and something. Months back  i got the notice for an update and i did updated. It was when SL had the gamma changes and project sunshine i think . After the update i didn't like at all the view in the viewer. I guess because of the gamma changes,  the view became too sharp , don't like the look of the sea, sunrise, sunset. also the colors are looking less vibrent and the view is darker then once That's why i downloaded back the old version of the 3.52 and chooen  the option to not update the viewer autmatically. I could enjoy the old view and didn't have to update all the last months. But today there was a new update and this time i had to update or it didn't let me to enter to SL. So without a choise i updated it ...and the same issue now...I see back the new view which i don't like and really bothers me. I also have a land and i see everything different, too sharp, different water. Its like the shiny waters, too much shiny. . sunset ,. sunrise , which are less nice then once.. doll colors and from some reason the view is darker too and it's bothering me. especailly when most of the time i like to use sunset view and now all the view is too dark especially at sunset.  There is also a nother weird issue which started after the update. If i tp to a place and the things start to rezz, then all the things which still not rezzed are pink. just pink color on my screen, on things which don't rezz yet. takes abit of time till they rezz and then it's ok but still it bothers ..like this it's on any place i tp too.  I wanted to ask if there is a way to download the older version of the viewer and without having to update to the new version ? Or if there is  a way to change the view on this new version  to similar as it was before, months back, on the older version ? also how to make the view look lighter as once and get rid of the pink color on each thing that didn't rezz yet ? I m really clueless about all the gamma setting or things like these. so if someone can explain me will be very helpful. I just having really hard time with this view  and have hard time to get used to it. .... thank you
:)

The pink on the partially rezzed objects is something you'll just have to get used to - it should go away as soon as everything completely rezzes. As far as everything else goes, newer viewers set some settings automatically when they're installed and they may be different from what you're used to. Go into "Preferences" - "Graphics" and start changing settings until the view is similar to what you like. It sounds like "Advanced Lighting Model" got turned on and you prefer the non-Advanced Lighting view looks. You should be able to change things to look almost identical to what you're used to.

Thanks for your reply :). i tried now to play there on graphic setting. to uncheck the setting boxes and see what happens. if i uncheck different settingthe view become less nice . but when i heard your advice and unchecked the "advanced lighting on" setting , i see the same lighting of the view i had once and i really liked. the water is still shiny and sharp and some things are different but at least the lighting was as once. but the problem is, tho the lighting go back to how it was, then all of the edges of my avi body. and of items in sl, even of lands ,and rocks, are not smooth with straight line anymore., the edges are becoming

serrated which looks bad. if you can understand what i mean, hard to explain....so i need to tick this option again and can't stay with this option off because it looks bad with the edges.. before the update i had this lighting and all was ok with the edges ....:(....is there any solution ?

Natalia280 wrote:

Thanks for your reply
. i tried now to play there on graphic setting. to uncheck the setting boxes and see what happens. if i uncheck different settingthe view become less nice . but when i heard your advice and unchecked the "advanced lighting on" setting , i see the same lighting of the view i had once and i really liked. the water is still shiny and sharp and some things are different but at least the lighting was as once. but the problem is, tho the lighting go back to how it was, then all of the edges of my avi body. and of items in sl, even of lands ,and rocks, are not smooth with straight line anymore., the edges are becoming
serrated which looks bad. if you can understand what i mean, hard to explain....so i need to tick this option again and can't stay with this option off because it looks bad with the edges.. before the update i had this lighting and all was ok with the edges ....
:(
....is there any solution ?

To fix the edges, set the lighting to how you like and then go to the "Hardware" button of graphics preferences. Set "Anti-Aliasing" to a higher setting - 4X is usually pretty smooth - and then log out and log back in. You can try different settings for anti-aliasiing - higher ones are smoother but make your video card work harder.

Thanks alot :). it worked...But weird thing is when i make x8 it is not as smooth as x4. x4 is pretty smooth, but still some plants i have shows that edges. if i make the advanced lighting model on again the edges are all fine  in everything. The next and last option i have after x4 and x8 is the x16 which looks best but then all the fonts and writings is changes to weird ones if  i make this option. not normal fonts . and it's not convenient to read like this.   Is there anything to do about it ?

Also, still even if i make the advanced lighting model off and i get the lighting i want, it seems not combined well with the new viewer view . everything is too sharp now and to me it looks less realistic... the waters are too shiny as well. i have a beach land with a home which i really liked the look before. but now not :(. maybe i m too precised about things but it's really a huge different in the view from what i had before and liked.

Is there any way maybe to reduce sharpness of the things make the water look more as once too ? i tried to play more in graphic setting under options but all i do is make it worse.  Also , is there a way i can maybe play the older version of the  viewer , the one  that i had before  and without having to update so i can log in ?the version  was 3.5 and something. I think it was from months back, before the updates of gamma correction, materials and project sunshine.  And if there is a way to still play it, is it safe to play ? i ask because sometimes they say older version have security bugs or such.... and where i can i download that version ? i don't seem to find it now anymore.    

Sorry for so many questions but this issue really bothers me. Really big thanks for all your help :) .

Natalia280 wrote:

Thanks alot
. it worked...But weird thing is when i make x8 it is not as smooth as x4. x4 is pretty smooth, but still some plants i have shows that edges. if i make the advanced lighting model on again the edges are all fine  in everything. The next and last option i have after x4 and x8 is the x16 which looks best but then all the fonts and writings is changes to weird ones if  i make this option. not normal fonts . and it's not convenient to read like this.   Is there anything to do about it ?

Also, still even if i make the advanced lighting model off and i get the lighting i want, it seems not combined well with the new viewer view . everything is too sharp now and to me it looks less realistic... the waters are too shiny as well. i have a beach land with a home which i really liked the look before. but now not
:(
. maybe i m too precised about things but it's really a huge different in the view from what i had before and liked.

Is there any way maybe to reduce sharpness of the things make the water look more as once too ? i tried to play more in graphic setting under options but all i do is make it worse.  Also , is there a way i can maybe play the older version of the  viewer , the one  that i had before  and without having to update so i can log in ?the version  was 3.5 and something. I think it was from months back, before the updates of gamma correction, materials and project sunshine.  And if there is a way to still play it, is it safe to play ? i ask because sometimes they say older version have security bugs or such.... and where i can i download that version ? i don't seem to find it now anymore.    

Sorry for so many questions but this issue really bothers me. Really big thanks for all your help

You can try using the Catznip viewer. That's the currently-supported viewer that will be closest to what you're used to. However, nothing's going to last forever, and development in SL is going to be built around the changes in the newer viewers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.