Resident
iainrasa

android tablet and second life viewer

i use a samsung galaxy tab 10.1 and am having trouble locating a second life viewer that will run on my tablet. any help most appreciated.

Peggy Paperdoll

Re: android tablet and second life viewer

Reply to iainrasa - view message

Take a look at some of these:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Downloads

There are a few text only viewers that will work on tablets.......one even specifically mentions Android.  You won't get any graphics with them since your tablet just doesn't have to video muscle to run a program like SL.  Trying to get a tablet to run SL would be like trying to get a go-cart to pull a 80,000 pound semi trailer up the Grape Vine on I-5 in Southern CA.  It just ain't gonna happen.

Jessika Rang

There might be something here, although like Peggy said they will be text only.

https://market.android.com/search?q=second+life&so=1&c=apps

Advisor
Jenni Darkwatch

If you're not opposed to blowing through bandwidth, you can sortof get a graphical view of SL using VNC. You run your client on your desktop OS of choice and connect to it using VNC. Fair warning: It eats bandwidth like popcorn. :smileyhappy:

Innula Zenovka

There's a review in Inara Pey's blog, Living in the Modem World, of something called The Mobile Grid Client for Android.   It might be of interest.

Sassy Romano

Reply to Innula Zenovka - view message

I use mobile grid client on my phone.  It works, does what I need but that's usually just chatting and maybe paying someone.  Although it will do much more, there's only so much of interest that you can do. I mean, yes i can get to inventory but other than reading a notecard someone has sent, it's not like i'm going to start wearing outfits.

Honored Resident
Connie Arida

I feel someone should.( maybe LL) develop a true client for andriod / honeycomb. With tablets like Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime shiiping with the latest Android (Ice cream sandwich) and sporting a quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, newer tablets will have close to a real PC gaming grafix with  convincing water effects, smoke, complex polygon shape son game characters, and lighting tricks.

Sassy Romano

Reply to Connie Arida - view message

The problem Connie is that LL have no understanding of their customer base.  I've been here a while though not from the beginning but in my time:-

LL: "Lets go after the education market"... except there are NO sensible tools in SL to even delivery something as basic as a Powerpoint presentation, plus the viewer requires graphics that exceed the very common Intel embedded mobile chipset, which just happens to be one of the worst for SL.

LL: "Lets go after the corporate sector, they have money!"...see above with regard to graphics chipset and presentation tools, plus anyone who uses telephone or video conferencing already has far superior facilities than offered by SL for this application.

LL: "Lets go after the mainstream market and shun the adult entertainment"... People spend a hell of a lot of money in seeking to satisfy their "desires" and kinks.  Not the smartest move ever.

LL: "Look... FACEBOOK!"... But SL *isn't* the type of platform where you log in for a few moments to "update your status" and then log out again.  It's a different dynamic entirely.

LL: "Lets make a web based viewer"... Well actually this was a good idea but it hasn't matured beyond a technical demo and they didnt' seem to be sure of whom their target customer was for this either.

LL: "Lets have a teen grid"...and then...lets not.  So yet again, unsure of whom to market to.

As far as I can tell, LL is still chasing the Facebookers by introducing features such as the profile wall thing, however as far as I have noticed even LL staff turn off as soon as you post on theirs.  If this is their target market then they absolutely need a suitable mobile client because that's where the development is today, mobile!  For SL, if they want the Facebook wall type of thing, they would do well to develop an integrated client that offers that sort of communication since it's not ideal from a mobile device and integrate it with the other inworld messaging options. 

However, they seem hell bent on continuosly creating for the SL web services (profile wall) and now private messages that are only available on the web interface so you have to ask yourself the question, what are they doing about mobile INWORLD?  Um...nothing (that's visible).  So in creating two very different experiences, they seem as unsure of their target market as ever and without first defining the customer base, I have no idea how they can create a solution for them or market to them. 

Show me the clear strategy for the roadmap someone please... :smileyhappy:

Anyway, with regard to mobile platforms:-

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/12/01/games_consoles_fundamentally_doomed/

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/07/08/john_carmack_shares_his_views_on_mobile_gaming/

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/07/27/igamer_gaming_on_android/

Resident
havenem

Reply to Sassy Romano - view message

Nice post, thank you! Saved me a lot of aggravation trying to find something that doesn't exist. I'm still amazed at how much my new toy can (or would be able to) do and developers are just continuing to drag thier feet 

Honored Resident
Cobra Klamath

Jenni is on the right track, but VNC isn't really the way to go, its not designed for decent framerates with video and games such as Second Life.  There is a similar app called Splashtop Remote that's available for both Android and Ipad that will do the trick for you, provided you have the bandwidth and a pretty fast PC to run SL on.  Basicly what you have to do is install the splashtop streamer on your SL PC (it's free), and then buy the splashtop remote app for your tablet (price varies, usually $5-$10).  It uses your google account to allow you to connect from outside your local lan.  The performance is pretty remarkable, I use it with my ipad and I can do anything inworld I could do from my computer with decent framerates.  it even works on 4g, but be warned it DOES use a ton of bandwidth as Jenni said, and it needs a fair amount of processor power on your computer as well so if your computer is chugging just trying to run SL you're going to get a slide show.  If you've got the bandwidth and the PC horsepower though, you can enjoy SL on your tablet today