Advisor
Kwakkelde Kwak

Re: android tablet and second life viewer

Reply to Christy Rain - view message

I don't want to spoil your happiness, but the nexus doesn't have 16GB of RAM, it has 16 GB of storage space and only 1 GB of RAM. I also don't think it has any dedicated graphical memory. The cpu only has a clockspeed of 1.4 GHz. These specs don't sound very promising for SL.

It's hard to compare a tablet to a laptop or desktop, but I really doubt the nexus is more powerful than your computer.

"The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell."
Confucius

Resident
SparkFox Tank

Reply to Kwakkelde Kwak - view message

you wouold think that gameing grapgics in a tablet would be **bleep**ty, but its like when i compaired a 8800 to a Intel hd4500 i3

gpu+Cpu one chip combos have insane performance boost's granted this is a tablet, but NVIDIA man.....

it will happen

Advisor
Kwakkelde Kwak

Reply to SparkFox Tank - view message

When I feel how hot my ipad gets by the most simple games, I am pretty confident SL would make it explode. You simply can't compare a tablet to a computer.

GPU and CPU combos don't have any performance boosts, they share memory doing quite the opposite. With a whopping full gigabyte of memory that's all gobbled up pretty quickly.

"The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell."
Confucius

Recognized Resident
Zigomar Abruzzo

Reply to iainrasa - view message

I hope this can be helpful : Lumiya viewer, actually you will find it on the SL list of Third Party clients.

Don't ask me yet, I'm just going to try it ...

Honored Resident
Pargo Lynwood

Reply to Alina Lyvette - view message

Lumiya has graphics- it will render mostly- but don't expect to see your avatar as it appears in SL or anyones elses avatar in anything but a "generic" mostly gray body shape. Using a Nexus 7 Google tablet. You can move around and people in world will see your avatar as it usually looks.

Wolfee Yaffle
Topics: 3
Blog Posts: 0

[ Edited ]

I just noticed today that my Mobile Grid Client for my android wants me to pay $L250 a month to continue using it. Not going to happen. Especially if all it supports is text chat, and I barely need to use it enough to warrent that. I would use Lumia, since it only has a front cost, but it doesn't support gingerbread. My only option is to tether my phone's connection to my laptop and use Radegast lol, but that isn't truely mobile unless you wanna worry about 2 batteries to keep charged, and laptops tend to eat more power anyway. I hope someone eventually makes a FREE (100% free) mobile viewer soon. I mean all the ones for PC are free... Paying for freebies is a ripoff no matter where it takes place, or how.

Sassy Romano

Reply to Wolfee Yaffle - view message

Presumably you choose to work for free and your employer expects this of you or do you get remunerated for your efforts?  Do you have to pay for food or can you just take it from the supermarket.  I mean, after all, it grows in the wild yet people want to make money by selling it.

It's a fact of life that some people choose to offer things for free, others feel that it's appropriate to add effort and then want to charge for that effort which has been expended.

I can take the source files and read all the information about how to compile a viewer and I can offer that for free as "Sassy's viewer" but what I don't have is the skill set to cross compile that with suitable changes for Android and as a result I personally don't feel that it's inappropriate to remunerate someone for putting in that effort, it's a VERY different offering from the regular viewer.

Furthermore, it enables me to operate my business more functionally from my phone and thus I derive valuable benefit from it and as such the fee is appropriate based on the benefit I derive.

If you don't feel that you derive benefit then that's fine, don't pay but please don't assume that everyone should offer everything for free.  We already have that mentality in SL and it's not exactly helping.

Maybe you should suggest that they offer Ad-supported like so many of the other Android apps as a third licensing option but I'd rather pay to not have the ads though each to their own. 

No affiliation, i'm just a very happy user of it and I make use of it for far more than just messaging, the feature list is on the website.  I have Lumiya too but use that far less frequently.

Terrell61309
Topics: 1

Lumiya try it its paid though *android*
Resident
Charlie Omega

Reply to Kwakkelde Kwak - view message

Early SL (and I mean beta and shortly after) could run fairly ok on some of the simplest computers. At one point I ran a P1 with about 512 or such ram and an Nvidia G2. Granted SL has come a long way with "features". But what you forget, a client for android can be coded based off the early clients. A tablet does not need all the crazy resource hungry features that have been added to the client over the years. Heck it even ran on a 56k dialup, well kinda. Us beta old schoolers loved our narcoleptic Shebang (the person that to use the dialup quite a bit).

Also, look at some of the graphics that tablets/phones can run. I have looked around in the client code off and on prior to the viewer2. It can and should be doable to have a nice looking and acceptable performing client.

This will take much work, time, and a good understanding of the android code. I have far too little time and working knowledge of coding in android to try this.

The only thing that really blocks an older based client is LL allowing a legacy client to connect.
Advisor
Kwakkelde Kwak

Reply to Charlie Omega - view message

Charlie Omega wrote:

The only thing that really blocks an older based client is LL allowing a legacy client to connect.

I think you're overlooking something.

It's not just the viewer, it's the entire grid aswell, the whole of SL.

For example, I could run 3ds max 2.5 on my computer 15 years ago. I can run 3ds max 2013 on the one I have now.

Like you say, on that old computer I would still be able to run version 2.5, I wouldn't be able to use all the features added over those 15 years in between. The thing however is, I also wouldn't be able to open any files from the 2013 version.

Viewer 1.0 simply isn't compatible with SL anymore. LL didn't just break the ability to connect to the servers for the sake of breaking things.

That being said, again, there already is an android based viewer. So obviously it's possible.

Confucius