Honored Resident
jasonthelamb

Having issues with second life rezzing...

So I can load into second life just fine, it's just when I get into second life - everything is extremely slow and laggy. It's not my computer, I run RIFT, SWTOR, CS:GO, DOTA, and  a bunch of other games on my PC, which all run 60FPS with no issues, but whenever I load second life, I'm a puffball and laggy.

PC Specs:

i5 2500k OC @ 4.1 GHz

GTX 560 in SLI

2TB HDD, 60GB SSD

16GB RAM

Using Firestorm viewer

Bree Giffen

Re: Having issues with second life rezzing...

Reply to jasonthelamb - view message

The issue is that all of the games you mentioned are all installed beforehand. All the game assets are on your hard drive. In SL, all the game assets are streamed to your computer as you play.

Another thing is that those other games are totally optimized for game play. In SL, we throw optimization out the window because creators in SL either don't know, don't care or feel that they should but realize that no one else is doing it so why should they?

You should look into upgrading your internet connection if possible. Sometimes companies offer different tiers of speed.

Please visit my store on the SL Marketplace ~ Heliconia
Orca Flotta
Topics: 32
Blog Posts: 0

GTX 560 in SLI

Aha!!! That's another point. While SL should run and rez just fine in SLI it's not recommended. SL is a single card environment.

Orca's World is now »Thar She Blows!«
http://orcasl.blogspot.com/
Honored Resident
jasonthelamb

Reply to Orca Flotta - view message

Sorry should also have posted internet connection

Verizion FiOS Quantum

55 Mbps Download

20 Mbps Upload 

As for the whole SLI thing - I NEVER had an issue previous to about a week ago, and I've been running SLI since January of this year.

Honored Resident
jasonthelamb

I'm going to guess nobody has any idea why suddenly (seriously overnight) SL went from running perfectly fine, to now being unable to load anything.

Honored Resident
Morose Calamity

Maybe LL should take a look into this. I have been running SL for years with no new changes in the last week and just last night I started getting the puffball avatar. Have done all the beginner and advanced techniques for resolving a puffball avatar and no luck so far.

Honored Resident
Sean Heying

[ Edited ]

The fault is not your's specifically. It's more the way SLtransfers assets and textures, something MMOs /don't/ have to do.

Upgrading to a better viewer can help. Forget the LL mess, go for the Firestorm alpha or the Singularity Alpha. Both have improvements to the HTTP fetching of texture which if your CPU has the power to deal with the flood of data can really help.

I prefer the Singularity method of fetching myself as you really finetune it to suit your PC, but as you are on Firestorm that might be better for you, you would be used to the way it does things.

Get the alpha though.

jasonthelamb wrote:

I'm going to guess nobody has any idea why suddenly (seriously overnight) SL went from running perfectly fine, to now being unable to load anything.

You would be very wrong. I am in close contact with a developer working on the HTTP part of a TPV and am very versed in what's happening.

(1) You have set your bandwidth over 2000

(2) Your cache is too large or has corrupted

(3) You are using the alphas of a TPV and have been fiddling with your debug settings in particular curl...

(4) your router is having trouble handling so many simultanious connections as someone in your house is also using it

Shall I go on?

You need to provide more info.

dd Temin

Reply to Morose Calamity - view message

When your avatar rezzes as a cloud/puffball.it indicates something you are wearing is missing from your inventory.

Clear your cache Before logging on and relog into a Different Sim. It may take a few minutes  but your avatar will finally rez.  Once is rezzes...do a re-bake/edit appearance.

Resident
lorettayoung

I think this might be a region thing. I have been away a few weeks and logged on a few days ago only to find nothing works properly, can't rezz the av correctly, can't walk or fly etc. Deleted all my viewers (Firestorm, Exodus and Sl) reinstalled all again, updated my graphic drivers but with no better response, still the same. I did manage to leave my home to another region which was no better, then tried somewhere else which worked fine.

I have quite a fast system and a good broadband connection

MS Widows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1

AMD FX-6100 Six-Core Processor

8.0GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Download speed 37340 kbps

Upload speed 1144 kbps

So If your able to to leave the location you come in at, see if you get a better response, if you do than it must be a region thing and that is a problem with SL

Resident
lorettayoung

Re: Having issues with second life rezzing...Success

Reply to lorettayoung - view message

Well success at last and it is now so blindingly obvious and simple …... turn the internet router off and back on to reset it.....no problems now......never really thought that was the problem as very thing else had been working fine with the internet, programs and games etc