Honored Resident
meganumi Furse

Does the mobile viewing app lumiya actually works?????

I was perusing through the sl viewers and being a recent tablet convert, (forgive me I;m more traditional minded) I saw that there was a thing called lumiya and that it does more than just text, does it actually work, and are their pros and cons to it?

Contributor
Theresa Tennyson

Re: Does the mobile viewing app lumiya actually works?????

Reply to meganumi Furse - view message

I've only used it with an emulator on my PC but it works. You can see your avatar and others and simple renditions of your surroundings. including mesh. There are some glitches and unsupported features and downloading/rendering is VERY SLOW. It's certainly no substute for a full viewer on a computer with a good graphics subsystem but for simple purposes or on the go it should be fine.

I agree, I have it on a Galaxy Note II.  It works, kind of.  The quality of the experience is very much lower than than with a PC.  I never use it unless I need to do something in world and can't use a computer.

Advisor
Jenni Darkwatch

If you think about it, you can guess what kind of performance you get. Tablets or smartphones have nowhere near the horsepower of a full-fledged PC.

Innula Zenovka

I've used it with my Nexus 7 and can confirm it works.   I wouldn't use it as a substitute for a normal viewer, but I would certainly prefer it to a text only viewer in many circumstances.

Inara Pey reviews it regularly, as she does most viewers, in her excellent blog, Living In the Modem World.

Sayrah Parx

It does actually work, and is still being improved. When I bought it, it was amazing just to see all the prims rendered with textures. Now it fully renders avatars, just like you see with a PC viewer. The only bad thing is the interface lag when it's loading everything, but that's because it does actually display everything. You can actually move around well enough in 3D view once everything is loaded, which can take a while depending on how much is around you. Like others have said, it's definitely not a replacement for a PC viewer. I only use it for testing things alongside my PC, so I don't mind waiting for it to load things first. I still consider it to be a good investment, because new features are still being added. It's gotten a lot better just in the 8 months I've had it. The great thing is that once you buy it, you can install it on any android device you have now and in the future. It's more useful to me now that I have a tablet, but I still have it installed on my phone in case I ever need it.

If you haven't already bought it, you can check the feature list at http://www.lumiyaviewer.com/index.php/features and see if it does what you need. I'm sure everyone here would be happy to tell you more about specific features you're wondering about.

Honored Resident
meganumi Furse

Yeah I just bought it but it keeps timing out when I try to log on XD but I'm liking some of the reviews, so maybe it's my connection I'm heavily dependant on public ones because I'm curently out of work; I dont have a fancy tablet just a generic one dragon touch, abut it can run 3d fine, also it keeps either timing our or giving me some error message

Samadhi Quandry
Topics: 1
Blog Posts: 0

[ Edited ]

Yes, it actually works, but I am using an older mobile phone, so I don't really use the visual part as much, but as a text viewer, it is the best compared to other text viewers. 

You can see all of your inventory, sort it out, change your outfits, chat, activate, deactivate, and leave groups.  You can also use it to pay objects or people I use it all the time to send lindens to friends. 

It's a pretty awesome app.  I am able to use it to keep my avi in-world while I work on my computer for other things.  If you have a really decent tablet it might be a lot better.  I use an HTC T-mobile G2 running android 2.3.

My favorite feature of the app is being able to stream the land media through my phone! So you can actually listen to performers at events or the radio on your parcel, I thought that was really cool. I am excited about lumiya because I don't have the greatest computer and I am at a loss on how to find an affordable ready on the shelf one for SL.  So lumiya is like really great because i can stiill chat with friends or listen to streams and not tie up my pc, so I can work at my pc on mturks or other things.
I love it.

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot

I have it, and Lumiya works, but I would recommend you pick up a Bluetooth keyboard to use with your tablet. I don't much like the experience of using a tablet for typing.

Resident
Sylys Weezles

Considering it is a tablet-smart phone app, the 3D view is amazing. It reminds me of using a regular viewer on an old laptop. I use Lumiya on my Asus and nexus tablet and my S-4 phone. The build render does not show all details, and you can only see about 5 avatars fully rendered (the rest are gray), but your AV and those near you are recognizable. The media option is very good for listening to music streams. There are some important features lacking, but Lumiya is light years ahead of any other app viewer, and will likely get better.